Scramble Help! Vandy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathrocks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, longtime lurker here. i'm unfortunately in the middle of the scramble and would appreciate if anyone can tell me as much as you know about vanderbilt. i didn't interview there so i don't know much. is it true they are worked to death? what exactly does this mean? how many hours do they average on surgicals? are the residents cool there? good reputation? PLEASE HELP ASAP! i'm so stressed out!

thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

pathrocks said:
hey everyone, longtime lurker here. i'm unfortunately in the middle of the scramble and would appreciate if anyone can tell me as much as you know about vanderbilt. i didn't interview there so i don't know much. is it true they are worked to death? what exactly does this mean? how many hours do they average on surgicals? are the residents cool there? good reputation? PLEASE HELP ASAP! i'm so stressed out!

thank you so much!

hi pathrocks,

i'm very sorry to hear that you're going through the scramble. vanderbilt pathology, to my recollection, hasn't been a big topic of discussion this past year. the only thread on the vanderbilt program is the following:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=151363&highlight=vanderbilt+pathology

best of luck. i hope you find a position soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
pathrocks said:

thank you so much!

hey there...I did NOT interview at Vandy, but I did interview at Baptist in Birmingham. Everyone there was very nice and it seemed like a good place...I just have no desire to live in Birmingham...but it sure would beat the hell outta doing medicine for one year...check there if you're interested in the southern region....personally I would look at NM or Utah...I think they had slots...best of luck...hang in there!

pathrocks said:

thank you so much!

vandy's a real up and coming place. EVERYONE is so friendly, and the campus is growing and making changes for the better. Nashville is perfect midsize town, i think you'd be totally happy there if you could get it.
good luck :luck:

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your situation. I didn't interview at Vandy, but have also heard they are worked to death until sometimes 9-10 pm - but again just what I have heard.

I DID interview at Arkansas & Baptist - B'ham. I thought they were both great choices. I think I would probably choose Arkansas over Baptist just b/c Baptist is a community hospital. However, I loved Birmingham and they were still a great program & get great food allowances + good vacation schedule. They were all very helpful too. Arkansas was also great - I thought they had a pretty solid program & can live close to campus. They had great residents that were cool and have brand new facilities.

Hope this helps some. Good Luck in the Scramble.

Hi Pathrocks,
I spent a month doing an away rotation at Vandy in Surgical Path. Although the residents did work long hours (until 8 or 9 pm) on some days during their surg path months the schedule did not seem too overwhelming. The residents are very nice and seem happy overall with the program. There are some really good attendings and I think that they are working to improve any aspects of the program that may need it. The entire Vanderbilt system seems to be run fairly well and Nashville is a nice place to live.
Best of Luck to you.

pathrocks said:

thank you so much!
Good luck pathrocks! As it is now 3:30 pm I hope you have found a place to call home by now. Let us know how it turns out. :luck:

pathrocks said:

thank you so much!

Are you an American Medical Grad? Just curious.

TigerPath05 said:
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your situation. I didn't interview at Vandy, but have also heard they are worked to death until sometimes 9-10 pm - but again just what I have heard.

I DID interview at Arkansas & Baptist - B'ham. I thought they were both great choices. I think I would probably choose Arkansas over Baptist just b/c Baptist is a community hospital. However, I loved Birmingham and they were still a great program & get great food allowances + good vacation schedule. They were all very helpful too. Arkansas was also great - I thought they had a pretty solid program & can live close to campus. They had great residents that were cool and have brand new facilities.

Hope this helps some. Good Luck in the Scramble.

Well, working until 9-10 pm is not going to be uncommon at most decent programs while on surg path rotations. I will probably be here until then tonight, and I got here at 5:30 today. :eek: Gotta gross in my chondrosarcoma!

yaah said:
Well, working until 9-10 pm is not going to be uncommon at most decent programs while on surg path rotations. I will probably be here until then tonight, and I got here at 5:30 today. :eek: Gotta gross in my chondrosarcoma!

Ditto that... I rarely get out before 7 during surg path. But I make up for it on other rotations. (Not at Vandy btw) :rolleyes:

the position at Vanderbilt is filled, according to an email i recieved today.