Scott and White Plastic Surgery Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disco

General Surgery Intern
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any input on this program? I saw that they only have 1 spot each year.....what do you think about a program with one spot? Impossible to match if you havent worked there?

Members don't see this ad.

impossible no, less likely yes. I think this is a terrific program. Run by what seem like genuinely good people, lots of land to draw patients from, lots of nice people. really, the only knock against the program is location. If that location appeals to you, or if you wouldn't mind living in a nice house in central texas then this program should be very high on your list.

I lived in Temple TX for a while when I was a kid. I visited them for general surgery and thought it was a very nice place. I don't know anything about the plastic surgery department though.

Members don't see this ad :)
where is the 'scott and white' program located? is it ASPS accredited?

TNS

It's located in Temple, Texas which is roughly 60-90 mins north of Austin. It's a small town.

FWIW, I interviewed there for med school and found the staff very nice. The med students LOVED the place. Very friendly.

is it a DO program or something?

God help us.

Scott & White is the name of the hospital, Texas A & M is the associated medical school. A&M students do the first two years in College Station and then move to Temple to do clinical years.

I have a friend who rotated at Scott and White. He said it's a hidden gem program. (According to him) the staff are friendly and very competent. It's not academic at all, but that's a benefit to lots of people. The repeated review that I've heard from people who were familiar with the program is that it's a great program if you don't mind being in a small town.

navysurgeon said:
is it a DO program or something?

God help us.

there are only a handfull of osteopathic PRS fellowships. scott and white is not one of them to my knowledge. also, what's with the derrogatory tone against osteopathic physicians, especially being in the military yourself?? the DO/MD ratio in the armed forces is around 40/60...there are DOs in every specialty from family, peds, gen surg, cards, rads, derm, ophtho, neurosurg, and peds surg...heck the majority of derm residents and faculty in the army atleast are DOs...Gen Blanck is an osteopathic family physician and former surgeon general of the army...some female rear admiral is an osteopathic physician and is surgeon general of the coast guard...for someone who came down on somebody else for having a poor attitude...perhaps you should look in the mirror and practice what you preach :thumbup:

I don't like D.O.s

I'm in the military and work with many D.O.s on a daily basis...

I'd characterize most of the DOs I work with as completely devoid of any clinical accumen and judgement...every week I'm on call, I come in contact with their glaring incompetences, and it reminds me of just why I'm happy to be leaving the military.

My comments have nothing to do with attitude...

I've given the DOs at my MTF every opportunity and chance to be good docs over the past 2 years, and I've given up....they suck.

As a military physician yourself, I'm sure you're aware that despite the stratospheric rank that many DO's have achieved in the military....it has little to do with being a competent and thoughtful physician. None, actually.

Good docs get out of the military, as their is no incentive for them to stay. The military coddles, promotes and protects the incompetent and inept.

navysurgeon said:
My comments have nothing to do with attitude...

I've given the DOs at my MTF every opportunity and chance to be good docs over the past 2 years, and I've given up....they suck.

As a military physician yourself, I'm sure you're aware that despite the stratospheric rank that many DO's have achieved in the military....it has little to do with being a competent and thoughtful physician. None, actually.

Good docs get out of the military, as their is no incentive for them to stay. The military coddles, promotes and protects the incompetent and inept.

so tell me how you really feel. So what is going to happen when you get out into the civilian world? Are you going to continue with your prejudice against DOs in general? I for one have never had the experiences you've described.

just hoping i won't have to deal with them...most of the hospitals i've worked in in the civilian world do not seem to employ DOs frequently...i've noticed that DOs tend to collect in more rural or less desirable communities...exactly where i plan not to be.

I'm not sure why there are MD and DO schools. A good majority of DOs do MD residencies and never practice the OMM stuff they learn in DO school.

The way I see it, they should just convert the DO to MD schools like how UC Irvine School of Medicine was converted to an MD school.

The DO and MD divide is ******ed, why have two competing medical professions?

This program I've heard is great with more emphasis on the craft of plastics rather than the research side of things.

This is to clear the air on DO's. In case anyone cares.... DO's are eligible to take the same boards as MD's and don't harbor the same prejudices that many MD's do for DO's. We are complete physicians, our distinction lies on our philosophy of medicine which is different than MD's. With our extensive training in the underlying pathophysiology of disease processes we are able to integrate a multidisciplinary approach which is unique to the scope of our practice. It makes me very happy to know that its patients who make the decision whether or not to go to a particular doctor, and not pushy physicians with personal bias.

It is an ASPS accredited program, allopathic. Clinically oriented. Friendly staff and residents at Scott and White hospital. Affordable, family oriented small town. One hour north of Austin. Mostly matches rotators or known applicants.

They basically don't even look at your application before it goes into the garbage if you haven't done a rotation with them in plastic surgery.
with the semi-rural town - it is really not worth applying in my opinion.
Pgy - 2

navysurgeon,

with two MD parents who used to be in the armed forces and bein on a base for a few years, you are spot on about the fact that good doctors leave the military...its actually an unfortunate trend

and you are spittin the TRUTH...i have encountered so many DOs with inferiority complexes and they tend to be the incompetent ones...if they used that energy to make themselves better physicians, we'd all be better off!

that being said, i have met and worked with several great DO doctors...

They basically don't even look at your application before it goes into the garbage if you haven't done a rotation with them in plastic surgery.
with the semi-rural town - it is really not worth applying in my opinion.
Pgy - 2

Why bump this thread after a year?

Not true. It's just that they only interview like 10 people. I interviewed there and I did not rotate at S&W. That program was awesome. Plastikos is a resident at S&W, I'm sure he'll chime in.

S&W is a great program and definitely "worth applying." It was one of my favorite interviews.

S&W is a solid program. I met one of their PGY-5s this year on the hand match interview trail and he was nice, smart, and seemed very competent. I know several people who have been peripherally involved in the program and they have nothing but good things to say. I'll reiterate my statement from a couple of years ago: it isn't academic, but it's good training.

So, I am the third year resident at S&W. We have 7 residents, we take 2 every 3 years. Making the changeover to integrated, unfortunately i will be the last resident that doesnt get any benefits (both my lowers are getting new/better schedules).
1. Temple, TX-small town, but near Austin...near enough to go to dinner/concert and work in the morning. Cost of living is also rock bottom cheap (came from USC).
2. In my year and in the years i have been doing interviews, almost every single applicant had not done a rotation here. I dont think any of the residents until our current 2nd year were known commodities.
3. Type of program: pseudo-academic, there are research requirements, etc...but if you come from a big name place, you will see the difference immediately in the overall atmosphere, a lot more surgery/pt care oriented as the primary. Though our department is becoming more research oriented, but still, a far cry. Enough time to do stuff even in gsurg years on most rotations.