Scotland schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scooter31

'Ello Guv'nah!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on these schools? I am originally from there, and am looking more and more to possibly getting my medical education back in Bonnie. Searching SDN and the respective school web pages doesnt come up with a whole lot :/ :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I know that the university of glasgow accepts international students. I'm not sure what category you fit into since you are from there but sound like you haven't lived there for a long time (or long enough to be considered an EU student). Check out their site www.gla.ac.uk

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I wont be considered an EU student, and I know that some of the schools only accept intl students from nations without their own med schools, so I know the odds are already stacked against me. I was just curious to see if anyone had gone through the application process and has even matriculated at any of the unis out there. I am looking more at the graduate entry places, though may consider the 6 year programs (if eligible for them that is). Thanks guys for the input thus far

scooter31 said:
Yeah I wont be considered an EU student, and I know that some of the schools only accept intl students from nations without their own med schools, so I know the odds are already stacked against me. I was just curious to see if anyone had gone through the application process and has even matriculated at any of the unis out there. I am looking more at the graduate entry places, though may consider the 6 year programs (if eligible for them that is). Thanks guys for the input thus far
None of the Scottish schools currently offer a shortened graduate entry course (4 year) although graduates may apply for their 5/6 year undergraduate courses. Edinburgh and Glasgow have the highest number of applications. St Andrews is a pre-clinical school only- you have to transfer to do your clinical studies elsewhere (nearly all go on to Manchester in England).

I have a friend who goes to med school at University of Dundee. If you have a Bachelor's from here, I think you'd be very competitive. Most of their applicants are high school grads (with A levels). To practice here after that, you'd have to go thru the motions of a foreign grad

kenniemd said:
I have a friend who goes to med school at University of Dundee. If you have a Bachelor's from here, I think you'd be very competitive. Most of their applicants are high school grads (with A levels). To practice here after that, you'd have to go thru the motions of a foreign grad

If your friend is willing, I'd love to chat with him about what he thinks of the process and of Dundee itself... PM me if this is a possibility. :thumbup:

Oh, and thanks for the clarification Kev. Between researching Scotland and Australia, I got my medical program details mixed up...

scooter31 said:
Anyone have any insight on these schools? I am originally from there, and am looking more and more to possibly getting my medical education back in Bonnie. Searching SDN and the respective school web pages doesnt come up with a whole lot :/ :thumbup:

If you haven't already done so, you may wish to check out http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/forum/

hey scooter,

i just graduated from U of Glasgow. feel free to PM me with any specific questions you have.

Scooter,
I grew up in Scotland and did my undergraduate work in Edinburgh. I moved to the U.S. five years ago and I'm about to start medical school here. I'm very familiar with both systems and all the Scottish schools. Feel free to PM me if you need info.
SC

Scottish Chap said:
Scooter,
I grew up in Scotland and did my undergraduate work in Edinburgh. I moved to the U.S. five years ago and I'm about to start medical school here. I'm very familiar with both systems and all the Scottish schools. Feel free to PM me if you need info.
SC

Thanks for the offer; I PMed you my original post to this-- osmehow my PM got sent to the thread :confused:

Scoots,
sorry it has taken me so long to get to this thread. anyway, ive sent u a pm!

Cheers, Saphenous :luck: