Score cutoff for retaking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Csv321

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just wanted some advice as to what MCAT score would you accept before attempting to retake the MCAT. I took the April MCAT and am awaiting the scores (Darn AAMC!) and plan to send in my AAMCAS application as soon as I receive them, given that they are decent. If they are absolutely horrible, should I just wait until after I take the August MCAT to submit my application? I know there's a section where I can check the box to tell them if I plan on retaking but I don't want them to reject me before they even see my August scores. Or do they put your application on hold until they receive those scores?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Csv-
I'm in the same boat as you, but I'll tell you what I'm working from, and what I've heard.
I think that it will be difficult for any of us with anything below an eight in any category. Impossible, no, because there are exceptions, but difficult for sure.
I will likely submit my application, like you, after I get MCAT scores. I'll check "retake in Aug." if appropriate.
I assume that schools will wait to make a decision on you depending on MCAT, but I don't know if that would hold up your entire application...
G'Luck in any event.

dc

It won't matter much. Most school won't take looking at your application until July 1st anyway. So as long as you submit before that, it is good. Also, depends on scores, you may change the schools you apply to. I would wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the advice! Good luck to you too bigdan!

Don't EVER retake the mcat unless you KNOW you will do SIGNIFICANTLY better! If you got a 32 but you know you will get a 40, go for it. If you got a 28, but think you should get a 31, I would possibly think twice.

Gfunk6 said:
Conventional wisdom for a minimum score is at least a 30 with double digits in each category (10, 10, 10).

Seems kinda drastic.... So you think that a 28 or 29 should retake or wait a year? Maybe for a highly competitive school, but for most state schools or osteopathic schools, I wouldn't retake it unless you get below a 27. Like another poster mentioned, it is VERY dangerous to retake this exam. If you do worse, you are pretty much out of luck. In addition, by delaying your application, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

It must be said every year, for each application cycle: Don't discouraged by all these posts by folks wondering if they will get in with a 36+ MCAT. I worried myself sick over these folks. Keep in mind that what you see here on SDN is NOT representative of the scores received by the average American pre-med!

Good luck to all of you applying for the class of 2009!

-Scott, MS3

Great points, guys.

I KNOW I needed to know Organic Chem better than I did when I took the MCAT in April, so I think that I've got score improvement potential there, but I really don't know what else I'd do to enhance anything else...

I'd also say that a 30 is a bit high for a minimum score if you're aim is just getting in somewhere. Several schools have a matriculated average lower than 30.

G'Luck.

dc

29 will be my cut off (10, 10, 9) with the 10s hopefully in bio and verbal.

Well, I agree it depends on what you think you can do. However, the average acceptance MCAT score for some schools is 27 for others 32. I say it depends where you are applying. For me, I think if I got a 28, I would still get in somewhere decent. If I got a 30, I would probably be interviewed even at my stretch schools. So that is just me.

I'm in with my #1 school with a 25

neoncandle said:
Well, I agree it depends on what you think you can do. However, the average acceptance MCAT score for some schools is 27 for others 32. I say it depends where you are applying. For me, I think if I got a 28, I would still get in somewhere decent. If I got a 30, I would probably be interviewed even at my stretch schools. So that is just me.

For me a 30 is the min. I recently had some exposure to the MAYO ENT program and have my heart set on attending at least residency there, thus I will need to attend a upper tier school.

I think skiz knot was right on. It's not that you need to retake at a certain score, but you need to think about what is realistic for you.