Scopus vs Medline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi folks,

for those who get published into peer-reviewed papers, u'll know that scopus indexes a greater number of journals than does medline. historically, and due to selectivity, publishing onto medline is a bigger accomplishment than "just" publishing to scopus.

that said, there are certain functions that scopus has that definitely sets it apart from medline. u can trace an author's work (and citations) using scopus by the click of a button - u can't accurately find the same info that easily with medline - it doesn't really function to do that.

my question is thus - because of scopus' broader reach/functions, will it ever "replace" medline? will someone view one's scopus publications as being the number one assessment of an author's works - or will it remain medline (or even further, Thompson's SCI) only?

i'm just asking cause i know of a very easy journal to publish into (its on scopus, but not on medline), and i'm wondering if i should bother making an effort to write additional papers into that journal, or just put ALL my effort into medline-indexed journals?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.