Scope of optometry USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Layla000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am applying to Optometry schools from canada and I am not quite sure what optometrists are able to do? In toronto, optometrists cannot even prescribe topical treatments or antibiotics. I am sure it depends on the state but can anyone tell me what they can do in the larger states?

I saw a thread regarding the difference between practicing in New York vs. California. If anyone can answer this, I would greatly appreciate it!!

thank u!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I am applying to Optometry schools from canada and I am not quite sure what optometrists are able to do? In toronto, optometrists cannot even prescribe topical treatments or antibiotics. I am sure it depends on the state but can anyone tell me what they can do in the larger states?

I saw a thread regarding the difference between practicing in New York vs. California. If anyone can answer this, I would greatly appreciate it!!

thank u!

optometry is not equal in every state in the US. every state has OD boards where they tell you what you can and cant do.

ex: injectibles are not permited in florida, topical agents are allowed in Lousiiana, you cant give glaucoma agents like Xalatan in california unless you complete 80-100 patient trials with an opthalmologist, and the list goes on and on.

texas has a stingent TMOD requirement.

thanx for the reply

would anyone know more specifically about practicing in California vs. New York?!

Thank u!