Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my sophomore year at college and am planning on majoring in Genetics(B.S.). As of right now my science GPA is at 3.0 and the only science classes I have taken are general biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics in short the premed classes. Physics was my main problem and I was wondering since if I am majoring in Genetics whether the upper level science classes I will be taking factor in on my overall BCPM grade. If not, what can I do to raise my BPCM grade if retaking courses like physics and getting an A will not boost the grade up by much since the average is taken? Also can a high MCAT grade or overall GPA raise my chances? Keep in mind I am willing to go to any Medical school(non D.O) that will take me.

Members don't see this ad.

Upper level sciences classes will certainly count in your BCPM GPA. As long as they're biology, chemistry, physics, or math classes, they'll be factored in.

A high MCAT score and high overall GPA will definitely help you. Anything you can do to make your application stronger will help your chances. Don't count yourself out yet. You still have plenty of time to raise your science GPA.

Best of luck!

There are some tricks to inflating the BCPM, in the sense that certain Psychology (learning, perception, etc.) courses and other 'softer' courses can be counted into it (Astronomy, Geology, etc.). Ask around... you should be able to pick up at least two relatively easy A's that can be counted towards BCPM. Upper level Genetics course count, of course, but one would imagine it's difficult to earn A's in them.