Schools with strong immunology departments?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennesseejed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which schools are known to have good immunology departments? I think that I might specialize in this field, it seems so promising.

Members don't see this ad.

I think Harvard, Stanford, and Yale are supposed to be very strong in basic immunology research.

Stanford, Harvard, Yale, JHU, UCSF, Duke, U-Wisconsin all have good immunology programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt, Minnesota, Penn, and Emory also have strong immunology programs.

It really depends on which aspect of immunology you are interested in...

Yale-Charlie Janeway's program, top notch

Research-wise:

Wash U
UCSF
Harvard
Washington
Colorado
NYU
Pitt
Toronto

If you have a more specific interest, in terms of research, I could give you an idea of some of the best PIs out there. I am finishing up my PhD in immunology. PM me.

Emory's Micro/Immu dept in top 5 for research funding

Maybe it's just my rose-colored glasses from being here, but my impression of Penn immuno is that it's one of the top schools for immunology.
For more info, try the Immunology department website:
http://www.med.upenn.edu/immun/immunatpenn.htm

In my MD/PhD class there is at least one person in Immunology who turned down other big name programs (including the big H) to come here. The director is a hematologist and the director of admissions is an Immunologist (Rheumatology for clinical), and I'm sure they'd love to recruit you if you have a strong interest in MD/PhD. Outside of that, I'd still highly recommend Penn/CHOP for all of the research in the immunology specialties, transplant medicine, etc...

I think I'm a little partial too, but I think U. of Washington has a good immuno dept, especially with ties to one of the best MD programs around. I warn you, though, that UW is very local in the sense of taking only Washington, Alaska, Montana and Idaho people. Good luck either way!

Originally posted by Treg
It really depends on which aspect of immunology you are interested in...

Yale-Charlie Janeway's program, top notch

Research-wise:

Wash U
UCSF
Harvard
Washington
Colorado
NYU
Pitt
Toronto

If you have a more specific interest, in terms of research, I could give you an idea of some of the best PIs out there. I am finishing up my PhD in immunology. PM me.

haha. janeway. his book is awesome and up to date, but it's so incoherent...so random. hard to make sense of the order of things...:p

Add UCLA to the list. It's strong in general for genetics, neuroscience, and immunology

Genetics? I worked in a genetics lab that left UCLA. I hear their previous chair got the big boot for wasting money and producing little and a bunch of faculty left before and during the boot process. From what I understand, the department is all screwed up both from a faculty and training standpoint and should be avoided.

Now in Neuroscience, they're pretty good.

My two cents...

Originally posted by finnpipette
haha. janeway. his book is awesome and up to date, but it's so incoherent...so random. hard to make sense of the order of things...:p

a better book is the abbas immunology book. it's illustrations are really helpful, it's pretty well organized, and up to date. plus it talks about lots of clinical immunology problems.

if you're interested in diabetes immunology research, you can't beat diane mathis at joslin.

Originally posted by Neuronix
Genetics? I worked in a genetics lab that left UCLA. I hear their previous chair got the big boot for wasting money and producing little and a bunch of faculty left before and during the boot process. From what I understand, the department is all screwed up both from a faculty and training standpoint and should be avoided.

Now in Neuroscience, they're pretty good.

My two cents...

Really? I haven't heard about that before...maybe that's the Human Genetics dept...I'm in the molecular genetics part and it's very solid.