Schools where having good research doesn't really give you an edge...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saveourpens

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really want to apply to schools where my research won't really mean anything in an application.

For example, I had Minnesota-Duluth on my list. I then read something on their site which said they basically train primary care docs to work in rural area. Yeah, I don't think they'd care about my Organic Chemistry research, at least not as much as schools like Pitt.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know there aren't many other schools that focus as much on primary care as UMD does. Really you should be selecting schools that focus on research as opposed to weeding out schools that don't seem to emphasize it. When you're selecting your schools, focus on programs with a decent emphasis on research. You can usually discern this pretty quickly from the school's website.

If you don't plan on doing research in med school and you don't want to go to a research-heavy university, then your undergrad research isn't going to give you quite as much of an edge.