Schools that accept 3.0-3.2 G.P.A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GRE (grduate records examination) is a pre-graduate school exam taken by some who plan on going to grad school. It's very general and not specific to any course of study in undergrad. Check out Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_Record_Examination

As for PT vs med school, which is harder to get in? I would guess med school as the requirements are tougher in my mind. They may take more people but the GRE is nothing compared to the MCATs. Also, many get masters degrees in areas such as public health, etc to boost their chances of getting into a top 10 school (definitely not a typical route for a PT applicant).

Without question...med school is much tougher.

Typically thousands of applicants for 60-200 spots depending on the school. PT schools in the NE I have experience with...sometimes not enough applicants to fill spots....year to year. Expensive education that is little more than a bachelors degree, and relatively low pay.

If you love it - you're lucky.

If your considering PT school....also consider MD/DO/PA/DPM school.
Many more options...especially PA school. Good money and autonomy....and you have the latitude to work in any specialty....that can be nice.

Unedited, ATC/PT1

Members don't see this ad.

From what I hear, Med school is much harder to get into than PT school (and the MCATs are a lot harder than the GREs). PT is infamously competitive because there are less PT schools than med schools. Also, each PT school only accepts 40-60 students per year, with thousands of applicants. Seems daunting, but there are plenty of PT schools that you can get into with a 3.0-3.2 gpa.

I applied to the 2 schools in Texas that don't require the GRE - Hardin-Simmons University and Texas Tech. I got accepted at both with a 3.53 GPA overall and a pre-req GPA roughly around 3.7. The GRE is dumb and I didn't wanna take it but it can bail people with lower GPAs out. My 0.02.

Members don't see this ad :)
All of them! My good friend applied late in december, with zero clinical skills post his bac. degree with a 2.99 GPA and applied to the top DPT schools and got into all of them, even USC.

That is impossible, unless he forged his application. The majority of programs require at least a few and as much as 100 hours of experience, and most have a minimum gpa requirement of 3.00. I can believe a person with a lower gpa (by low I mean 2.8-3.1) could have gotten accepted but only if they were outstanding in some other area like experience or GRE scores.
I think you are misleading people with your example, and frankly I don't believe you know what you're talking about.

Important Statistics:

-Cumulative GPA : 3.21
-GPA for Last 60 Hrs. : 3.43
-Prerequisite GPA: 3.13
-GRE Score: 1030 (630 Math 400 Verbal, Writing Score: 5)

Volunteer/Paid Experience:

-400 hours of volunteer/shadowing PT's (inpatient, outpatient, private practice)
-Recently hired as a Rehab Aide
-worked as a Fitness Attendant; have current CPR/First Aid Certification

Extracurriculars:
-President of School's Pre-Physical Therapy Club
-Member of the school Rugby Club
-Involved in various Community Outreach Programs

Research:
-Research on People with Disabilties

I am looking to apply to PT school as soon as this summer. Can anyone list a few schools where I can get in with my stats please?
(And please don't tell me to raise my standands because I have heard that enough)

Thank You!

Most schools cut off if 3.0 GPA and 1000 GRE. Some....well most, are pretty competetive so they get to choose from the cream of the crop GPAs/GREs.

Apply to UM-Flint, SWBaptist, Touro (All of them), Temple, TJU, etc, etc. Just do some research on the PTCAS website for the avg gpa of accepted students and look for your range there. And remember to apply really early. honestly, I applied in August last year, you should send PTCAS out no later than Mid-August.

Most schools cut off if 3.0 GPA and 1000 GRE. Some....well most, are pretty competetive so they get to choose from the cream of the crop GPAs/GREs.

Apply to UM-Flint, SWBaptist, Touro (All of them), Temple, TJU, etc, etc. Just do some research on the PTCAS website for the avg gpa of accepted students and look for your range there. And remember to apply really early. honestly, I applied in August last year, you should send PTCAS out no later than Mid-August.

Hey JBizzle our stats seem fairly similiar. I was curious as to how you calculated your Prereq GPA? Is that your Prereq GPA for the program you were accepted to or is it strictly just your science GPA? In some cases my prereq GPA may be 0.5 higher than my science GPA so it makes a big difference.

Thanks!

Hey JBizzle our stats seem fairly similiar. I was curious as to how you calculated your Prereq GPA? Is that your Prereq GPA for the program you were accepted to or is it strictly just your science GPA? In some cases my prereq GPA may be 0.5 higher than my science GPA so it makes a big difference.

Thanks!

The gpas I have posted are from the ptcas calculation. If I went by my university calculation my gpa would be slightly higher. But ptcas gpa calculation made it lower. The core pt gpa is from ptcas as well, not my calculation.

I have always heard people researching for the avg acceptance GPA for schools. I checked ptcas and could only find that of the latest accepted class. Would that be what people referred to? I think the avg acceptance of just 1 year doesn't reflect any trend, it could just be the standard of the whole population in a given year. Any suggestions on this?

Hi everyone, I came accross these forums and find them very helpful.
I recently graduated with a science undergrad degree from a Canadian Univ and Im looking into studying DPT in the States.
I only want to apply to places which dont require GREs. I found a list someone posted earlier with those schools, thanks. So my question is: after I finish DPT, what the heck am I in Canada since DPT here doesnt exist, physio is a masters program???? Am I gonna make the same money as a physio who got his/her masters degree from canada?
Also any tips on which schools in the States are easier to get into if I dont have a very high gpa?
Anyone know anything about D'youville college in Buffalo which offers DPT?
THANKS!:)

I have the same question. I have BA in Communications and need to take extra pre-req courses anyways and also need to boost up my GPA. The universities in Canada that are accredited by the AAPT require a 3.8 GPA which I don't have. Getting accepted in the states is easier because you can get in with a 3.0 but yes, the GRE exams scores can be the end all or be all. I am wondering which schools don't have an out-of state fee and which schools do not play heavy on the GRE scores.

I've heard that there is a school in Texas that if you are working as an assistant there you don't have to pay out of state tuition, but I don't know the exact university. Does anyone else know of other universities that have the same financial aid for international students?

I wouldn't put too much stress on the GRE. I have heard from a large number of schools that they don't weight it very heavily. If you are worried about your GRE score contact schools and ask how important they feel it is. I think the key to the GRE is to not do horribly on it. As long as you get an O.K. score then it wont hurt you. Of course getting a really high score would be nice.

The dependence on the GRE as part of the admission criteria varies from school to school. For instance, the school I got into weighed 20% of an applicant's admissions 'score' on the GRE, which seems pretty significant to me:

GRE Verbal and Quantitative sections (15%)
GRE Analytic Writing section (5%)
Cumulative GPA (15%)
Prerequisite GPA (25%)
Academic preparation (15%)
Additional factors (25%)

So, if you can find out similar information on the schools you are interested in, it would help you narrow down your options. There are so many schools out there, it seems just a matter of seeing where you fit in the best.

Also, from what I gather, an old GRE score of 1000 (roughly 297-ish in the new format) was about the minimum for a competitive program to look at your application, while 1100+ was preferable. This does not mean you can't knock their socks off with the other parts of your application, but...

Good luck!

Last edited:
Heres my stats
Overall gpa 3.23
Gre: v 150/q 149, writing 4.0

Other factors: I've worked as a tech in PT for the past 6 years (at the same place)
And have also observed >300 hrs in-patient, and 100 hours observation at another PT out- patient clinic.

I am also a medical assistant and work part time doing this right now for the las 3 years as well.

I am treasurer of the pre-pt club at my university, volunteer as an exercise instructor 2x a week for the hospital's senior fit program, volunteer monthly community events for my church and am very interested in Parkinson's disease research (have not participated in research )

My question is, what would be my chances of getting into a DPT program in Michigan? I've been looking around at programs in MI and the avg stats all seem very high compared to me.
Also does anyone know of any Ohio, Illinois or Indiana DPT programs that I might have better chances at with my stats?
And one more thing, how many programs should I apply to based on my stats? I have a list of 10, but with my lower gpa I'm thinking more?
I applied for one DPT program last year and was denied because it was not competitive enough (also because I have retaken courses *chemistry* and my university gpa is higher than my ptcas calculated gpa) so this threw me off last year and I don't want to get screwed over this year.
Thank you everyone who replies!

"PT schools in the NE I have experience with...sometimes not enough applicants to fill spots....year to year."

There's a lot of blatant BS on this thread.

Last edited:
You're going to need at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA to even be considered for a DPT program. Some posters clearly don't know what they're talking about, and honestly seem to have an axe to grind. There's no reason to put down PT just because you can make more money as an MD or a PA. You can make more money as an investment trader. You can make more money working on an oil rig. What's the point?

Last edited:
This thread was started back in 2007, just an FYI. A lot of the info in here is irrelevant now

Reactions: 1 users