Schools of nursing starting white coat ceremonies...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please don't bring this 'check your privilege' crap onto allopathic -_-

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Let me try to explain -- Did you happen to see yesterday's articles quoting Hillary Clinton's remarks about the Ferguson Missouri situation? She was speaking to a disproportionately white male audience and she asked them to imagine how they would feel:

"Imagine what we would feel and what we would do if white drivers were three times as likely to be searched by police during a traffic stop as black drivers instead of the other way around. If white offenders received prison sentences ten percent longer than black offenders for the same crimes. If a third of all white men – just look at this room and take one-third – went to prison during their lifetime. Imagine that. That is the reality in the lives of so many of our fellow Americans in so many of the communities in which they live."
Growing up as a white male in the US, there's a tremendous advantage, but those advantages are almost universally unseen to those who enjoy them.

When was the last time you found yourself worried just because you were driving a nice car in a nice neighborhood? (Or a less-nice car in a less-nice neighborhood?) That if a police officer stopped you for failure to signal, that you would be frisked and your car searched? That if you objected verbally, that you would be beaten and arrested for resisting arrest? Yeah - not so often.

In college, were you afraid to walk home from the library at night? Did you worry that what you wore might make you more vulnerable to violence? And to being blamed if you were the victim of said violence? Did you fear that getting drunk at a fraternity party would result in being sexual assaulted? Were you constantly barraged by sexual catcalls because you were walking on the sidewalk? Yeah - Didn't think so.

Were you constantly presumed to be less intelligent? Less good at math or science or anything physical? Less serious about your future career? More likely to use drugs? More likely to have come from a broken home? A poor socioeconomic background? Have less-educated parents? Did older people constantly steer you into supporting roles rather than lead roles? 'Shush' you to hear what the other students had to say. Are you constantly interrupted when you speak? Not really - right?

All of these life advantages have been shown in study after study to be routinely enjoyed by white males, yet they're entirely invisible to most. That's not to say that your life is without challenges -- just that as a white male, you don't add these other obstacles on top of the others.

Fred Astaire won fame as a dancer. But let's never forget that Ginger Rogers did everything Fred could do, just backwards and in high heels.
My point was that @PL198 is technically correct that it is fair to infer, with the basis that you have no prior knowledge of said person, that the likelihood of a physician being male is greater than female. Again, just statistics. Obviously, that would be a bad way to determine if someone was a doctor or not. But he's not acting priveledged.

Also, Hilary Clinton is not a good example of who to believe. She knows she's not going to get many white men to vote for her, so she's trying to make them feel bad, what does she have to lose? Further, your subsequent explanations sound more like situations from the 1950s, not today. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm was just defending PL's quote.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ginger Rogers was a average dancer carried by Fred Astaire until becoming great. She worked hard as all heck but anyone who has seen "Swing Time" understands there was never any parity between their skill levels.

Reactions: 1 users
Let me try to explain -- Did you happen to see yesterday's articles quoting Hillary Clinton's remarks about the Ferguson Missouri situation? She was speaking to a disproportionately white male audience and she asked them to imagine how they would feel:

"Imagine what we would feel and what we would do if white drivers were three times as likely to be searched by police during a traffic stop as black drivers instead of the other way around. If white offenders received prison sentences ten percent longer than black offenders for the same crimes. If a third of all white men – just look at this room and take one-third – went to prison during their lifetime. Imagine that. That is the reality in the lives of so many of our fellow Americans in so many of the communities in which they live."
Growing up as a white male in the US, there's a tremendous advantage, but those advantages are almost universally unseen to those who enjoy them.

When was the last time you found yourself worried just because you were driving a nice car in a nice neighborhood? (Or a less-nice car in a less-nice neighborhood?) That if a police officer stopped you for failure to signal, that you would be frisked and your car searched? That if you objected verbally, that you would be beaten and arrested for resisting arrest? Yeah - not so often.

In college, were you afraid to walk home from the library at night? Did you worry that what you wore might make you more vulnerable to violence? And to being blamed if you were the victim of said violence? Did you fear that getting drunk at a fraternity party would result in being sexual assaulted? Were you constantly barraged by sexual catcalls because you were walking on the sidewalk? Yeah - Didn't think so.

Were you constantly presumed to be less intelligent? Less good at math or science or anything physical? Less serious about your future career? More likely to use drugs? More likely to have come from a broken home? A poor socioeconomic background? Have less-educated parents? Did older people constantly steer you into supporting roles rather than lead roles? 'Shush' you to hear what the other students had to say. Are you constantly interrupted when you speak? Not really - right?

All of these life advantages have been shown in study after study to be routinely enjoyed by white males, yet they're entirely invisible to most. That's not to say that your life is without challenges -- just that as a white male, you don't add these other obstacles on top of the others.

Fred Astaire won fame as a dancer. But let's never forget that Ginger Rogers did everything Fred could do, just backwards and in high heels.
Sorry, but privilege more comes from socioeconomic status than race. Even racial affirmative action policies disproportionately benefit racial groups that are already well off (Nigerians, example) vs. those who it was intended for (African-Americans).

As far as "Were you constantly presumed to be less intelligent? Less good at math or science or anything physical? Less serious about your future career? More likely to use drugs? More likely to have come from a broken home? A poor socioeconomic background? Have less-educated parents? Did older people constantly steer you into supporting roles rather than lead roles? 'Shush' you to hear what the other students had to say. Are you constantly interrupted when you speak? Not really - right?"

Have you looked at standardized test scores? Sociology data re: broken homes, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

lol there's so much facepalm in this post I can't even address it all.

just to point out a few for you:

" Did I ever worry that what I wore might make me more vulnerable to violence? Hm, let's see if rape is someone sexually forcing themselves on you, and you dress more sexy, that would probably trigger the thought that I am more likely to get raped when I dress sexy. Has nothing to do with someone wanting to be raped or any BS like that, just saying. If you appear more attractive, it's probably pretty likely someone would want to rape you more so than if you were dressed unattractive.

"getting drunk would get me assaulted?" Hm, when people are inebriated and have no to little inhibitions about an action, and being in a large group of people. who would have EVER thought that violence would erupt in a situation like that?

"less good at anything physical?" Um yes, women are less good at anything physical on average. Men are physically superior, end of story on that one. This isn't even debatable and the fact you want to throw this in there is hilarious.

" older people constantly steer you into supporting roles" Um yeah, because that's the role of being a woman on the grand scale and the role that most women prefer.

Here's something for you to think about. In the MOST VIOLENT area of the nation, Detroit, the violent crimes rate is 1 in 7. Now, the White House is claiming that 1 in 5 college students are sexually assaulted. Yes, so walking down the streets of Detroit is clearly safer than walking down through your student center. lol ok. If you're a woman and you get drunk at a frat party, you absolutely know what you are getting into. The rest of the nation is becoming less ignorant about this too and realizing that all the BS about women and getting raped at college is lies for the most part. Real rape does happen, but not nearly as common as women who simply regret doing something, make it seem to be.

P.s. I drive an average used car in an average neighborhood, and my parents worked their *sses off for that to happen. Something that every single other person in the world is capable of with hard work. Poor you though and poor every other victim in the world.

:bang: :thumbdown:

The sad part is that you don't even know how 'white male privileged' you sound...

Oh yeah mean that I'm white male and privileged because I'm capable of using statistics to make an inference that ends up being correct much more often than not in the long run? You don't seem to be able to comprehend the fact that there's a difference between being right at present and being right in the long run. If I see a random woman worker at the hospital and assume she's a nurse, I could very well be wrong in the present, ie not all women working in the hospital are nurses, however IN THE LONG RUN, I'd be correct, thus making it a SUCCESSFUL INFERENCE, devoid from sexism.
Go smoke some weed and complain about Vietnam.

My point was that @PL198 is technically correct that it is fair to infer, with the basis that you have no prior knowledge of said person, that the likelihood of a physician being male is greater than female. Again, just statistics. Obviously, that would be a bad way to determine if someone was a doctor or not. But he's not acting priveledged.

Also, Hilary Clinton is not a good example of who to believe. She knows she's not going to get many white men to vote for her, so she's trying to make them feel bad, what does she have to lose? Further, your subsequent explanations sound more like situations from the 1950s, not today. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm was just defending PL's quote.
Yes, Hillary Clinton is hardly someone to trust in any situation much less on this issue. I never understood it before, but there is a reason she's not trusted.

Now, that not even true. Minorities are getting all of the benefits these days. And if you want to talk about how women are paid less than men, it's because they traditional work less hours than men.

Now, that not even true. Minorities are getting all of the benefits these days. And if you want to talk about how women are paid less than men, it's because they traditional work less hours than men.

funny how majorities of the minorities that end up successful say that things like AA actually hurt their intended group.

lol there's so much facepalm in this post I can't even address it all.

just to point out a few for you:

" Did I ever worry that what I wore might make me more vulnerable to violence? Hm, let's see if rape is someone sexually forcing themselves on you, and you dress more sexy, that would probably trigger the thought that I am more likely to get raped when I dress sexy. Has nothing to do with someone wanting to be raped or any BS like that, just saying. If you appear more attractive, it's probably pretty likely someone would want to rape you more so than if you were dressed unattractive.

"getting drunk would get me assaulted?" Hm, when people are inebriated and have no to little inhibitions about an action, and being in a large group of people. who would have EVER thought that violence would erupt in a situation like that?

"less good at anything physical?" Um yes, women are less good at anything physical on average. Men are physically superior, end of story on that one. This isn't even debatable and the fact you want to throw this in there is hilarious.

" older people constantly steer you into supporting roles" Um yeah, because that's the role of being a woman on the grand scale and the role that most women prefer.

Here's something for you to think about. In the MOST VIOLENT area of the nation, Detroit, the violent crimes rate is 1 in 7. Now, the White House is claiming that 1 in 5 college students are sexually assaulted. Yes, so walking down the streets of Detroit is clearly safer than walking down through your student center. lol ok. If you're a woman and you get drunk at a frat party, you absolutely know what you are getting into. The rest of the nation is becoming less ignorant about this too and realizing that all the BS about women and getting raped at college is lies for the most part. Real rape does happen, but not nearly as common as women who simply regret doing something, make it seem to be.

P.s. I drive an average used car in an average neighborhood, and my parents worked their *sses off for that to happen. Something that every single other person in the world is capable of with hard work. Poor you though and poor every other victim in the world.

Oh yeah mean that I'm white male and privileged because I'm capable of using statistics to make an inference that ends up being correct much more often than not in the long run? You don't seem to be able to comprehend the fact that there's a difference between being right at present and being right in the long run. If I see a random woman worker at the hospital and assume she's a nurse, I could very well be wrong in the present, ie not all women working in the hospital are nurses, however IN THE LONG RUN, I'd be correct, thus making it a SUCCESSFUL INFERENCE, devoid from sexism.
Go smoke some weed and complain about Vietnam.

funny how majorities of the minorities that end up successful say that things like AA actually hurt their intended group.

Ten-reasons-Stephen-Colbert-would-actually-make-a-great-pick-for-Senator.jpg

Do you really believe that's true or are they just saying what needs saying to fit in? Be logical, LOL! Can someone really get away with saying "Shut up! White people have had affirmative action for generations."?

Now I'm not saying that every black person feels this way. Simply saying that having to pass an affirmative action litmus test gets pretty old. I'd get more amusement if people responded to AA questions with "Are you a racist?", LOL! At least it would give a few laughs in cases when someone is basically asking if you're one of the good ones?.

Sorry, but privilege more comes from socioeconomic status than race. Even racial affirmative action policies disproportionately benefit racial groups that are already well off (Nigerians, example) vs. those who it was intended for (African-Americans).

As far as "Were you constantly presumed to be less intelligent? Less good at math or science or anything physical? Less serious about your future career? More likely to use drugs? More likely to have come from a broken home? A poor socioeconomic background? Have less-educated parents? Did older people constantly steer you into supporting roles rather than lead roles? 'Shush' you to hear what the other students had to say. Are you constantly interrupted when you speak? Not really - right?"

Have you looked at standardized test scores? Sociology data re: broken homes, etc.
It's not too hard to come up with statistics regarding caucasian privilege...But I think your are right in one way that Africans and Afro Caribbean benefit more from affirmative actions than African Americans... There is a culture of nonchalant about school in the African American community that I can't still put my finger on even after being in the US for 15 years...

It's not too hard to come up with statistics regarding caucasian privilege...But I think your are right in one way that Africans and Afro Caribbean benefit more from affirmative actions than African Americans... There is a culture of nonchalant about school in the African American community that I can't still put my finger on even after being in the US for 15 years...
It's a culture problem. I hate to sound like Bill O'Reilly - but having children out of wedlock, missing fathers, etc. have real ramifications on families and society when you look at for example incarceration rates, high school graduation rates, the likelihood of going for higher education, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only certain minorities. Asians do not benefit from affirmative action policies traditionally.

Diversity doesn't mean African American in most cases. Many places would have a black person from Kenya over Kentucky, LOL! My learned friends have tried (repeatedly) explaining that scholarships for someone from Africa (i.e.) gives the privileged an international experience while in college. :)

This forum has been turning into pre-allo more and more everyday.

what is this huge block of text
this thread is about white coats, not white males

You're probably right right.

When I stride down the halls in my long white robe of oppression, females cower on all sides as I effortlessly undermine their value and force upon them the noble ideals of a cis-male patriarchy.

All before I've even had my morning coffee.

Reactions: 9 users
When I stride down the halls in my long white robe of oppression, females cower on all sides as I effortlessly undermine their value and force upon them the noble ideals of a cis-male patriarchy.

If you weren't so privileged, you would only want black coffee. Instead you add cream to lighten the color of it to your tastes.

Reactions: 2 users

Bask in all your glory, GWDS!

Bask in all your glory. :)

OK - So apparently I struck a nerve with the white male privilege rant. I'll admit that the "Assuming females are nurses is not sexist because it's accurate" line hit a nerve with me --

Just one quick follow up question for all of those who are so outraged/amused...

How many of you are not white male?

OK - So apparently I struck a nerve with the white male privilege rant. I'll admit that the "Assuming females are nurses is not sexist because it's accurate" line hit a nerve with me --

Just one quick follow up question for all of those who are so outraged/amused...

Do you understand the concept of majorities ? Also this had nothing to do with white males, you said males. The bottom line is that if you go into a hospital and see a random man, they are more likely to be a physician than a random female.

I'm not a white male and I think the "white male privilege" thing is pretty dumb.

Reactions: 3 users

I think the "check your privilege" moniker is stupid. It's usual excuse making as usual. Usually said by college liberals who have yet to hold an actual job and not be supported by their parents.

Come on, do you really think women and minorities can afford computers?

Well, if women would stop working and stay at home, men would have more jobs and the unemployment rate would be much lower. Our unemployment rate is high as it is, bc women have to work.

Who cares? Most nurses are women
get over it

Did you just stereotype?

Reactions: 3 users

Speaking about white male privilege is fine in undergrad, but taboo in the real world. Medicine also leans right, where you'll see people spew BS all the way up until they get into residency. That's the way of the world.

Deal with it.

Did you just stereotype?

Oh no that's not possible. It's not possible to be sexist against males, just like it's not possible to be racist against whites. White males have everything handed to them on a silver platter. Paying for tuition and not getting bonus points for being a certain minority, it's just so easy. If all white males don't become cardiologists at a minimum, they have failed because that's the absolute minimum one of them should achieve with the tremendous amount of resources they've been given.

Speaking about white male privilege is fine in undergrad, but taboo in the real world. Medicine also leans right, where you'll see people spew BS all the way up until they get into residency. That's the way of the world.

Deal with it.

lol why do you think this is? Because undergrad is just a bunch of punk kids trying to seem cool in their social circles and the real world is about actually getting **** done. Not sure how that doesn't set off some internal alarm, but hey. The 20 yr old kid who gets baked every night and is getting a C average as a sociology major, he definitely knows more about the dynamics of the world than people that are actually employed and give effort in things.

Oh no that's not possible. It's not possible to be sexist against males, just like it's not possible to be racist against whites. White males have everything handed to them on a silver platter. Paying for tuition and not getting bonus points for being a certain minority, it's just so easy. If all white males don't become cardiologists at a minimum, they have failed because that's the absolute minimum one of them should achieve with the tremendous amount of resources they've been given.
What point are you trying to make here? It's funny you choose that example as I'm sure you're ignorant to the fact that 75+ % of cardiologists are white.

Did you just stereotype?

I asked how many of the people who objected to my "white male privilege" post were white males. So far, no one has actually answered that question.

Deal with it.

I've been dealing with it for a fair number of years. (I'm not an undergrad.) And it's a topic that should not be taboo. It's real. It's insidious. And ignoring it is perilously close to pretending it doesn't exist, which just perpetuates the whole problem.

Life's not fair. It never will be, and I accept that. But that doesn't mean we're off the hook. We should not just throw up our hands and give up trying to make the world a better place -- one with less racism, less misogyny, and more equality of opportunity.

lol why do you think this is? Because undergrad is just a bunch of punk kids trying to seem cool in their social circles and the real world is about actually getting **** done. Not sure how that doesn't set off some internal alarm, but hey. The 20 yr old kid who gets baked every night and is getting a C average as a sociology major, he definitely knows more about the dynamics of the world than people that are actually employed and give effort in things.
Most of the sociology majors at my undergrad were white students trying to go into law enforcement. What's pathetic is them being afraid to speak up about how they really feel in class. They just nodded and smiled.

Most of the white males I meet seem to have their balls cut off. At least the educated ones.

What point are you trying to make here? It's funny you choose that example as I'm sure you're ignorant to the fact that 75+ % of cardiologists are white.

That the current "white-shaming" is actually racism and sexism against white males. Everyone acts like white males have everything handed to them. I'm pretty sure being a white male didn't get me into medical school. It's the stuff I did, which is the same stuff than any minority and gender can do.

Most of the sociology majors at my undergrad were white students trying to go into law enforcement. What's pathetic is them being afraid to speak up about how they really feel in class. They just nodded and smiled.

They were afraid to speak up? Have you ever been to college? I'm pretty skeptical that you have if you can say that the typical sociology major was scared to speak up about how they felt. College is liberal paradise, aka if you want to get a C on a paper, you speak up and be conservative. The people who nod and smile are the conservatives, not the liberals. PS I'm not conservative, yet I'm also not oblivious to the fact about how politics in college works.

I asked how many of the people who objected to my "white male privilege" post were white males. So far, no one has actually answered that question.

I've been dealing with it for a fair number of years. (I'm not an undergrad.) And it's a topic that should not be taboo. It's real. It's insidious. And ignoring it is perilously close to pretending it doesn't exist, which just perpetuates the whole problem.

Life's not fair. It never will be, and I accept that. But that doesn't mean we're off the hook. We should not just throw up our hands and give up trying to make the world a better place -- one with less racism, less misogyny, and more equality of opportunity.
Well I guess that's why hospitals and schools have diversity programs.

Well I guess that's why hospitals and schools have diversity programs.

Yes, tell me how well they've worked. Look up the gender inequality paradox. It's the same thing for race. All things like diversity programs do is solidify any inequalities there are, not reduce them. There are multiple research investigations into this very concept that show this.

That the current "white-shaming" is actually racism and sexism against white males. Everyone acts like white males have everything handed to them. I'm pretty sure being a white male didn't get me into medical school. It's the stuff I did, which is the same stuff than any minority and gender can do.

They were afraid to speak up? Have you ever been to college? I'm pretty skeptical that you have if you can say that the typical sociology major was scared to speak up about how they felt. College is liberal paradise, aka if you want to get a C on a paper, you speak up and be conservative. The people who nod and smile are the conservatives, not the liberals. PS I'm not conservative, yet I'm also not oblivious to the fact about how politics in college works.
Who shames you in medical school? I'm one of two blacks in my school, and I have never brought up race in any conversation. To your second response, that is what I was talking about.

Yes, tell me how well they've worked. Look up the gender inequality paradox. It's the same thing for race. All things like diversity programs do is solidify any inequalities there are, not reduce them. There are multiple research investigations into this very concept that show this.
It is obvious that diversity programs at schools have increased underrepresented minorities.

Who shames you in medical school? I'm one of two blacks in my school, and I have never brought up race in any conversation? To your second response, that is what I was talking about.

People like dokter mom or whatever that make it seem like everything I've done is a result of my family and not me.

If you meant that in your second response, I'm not sure how you fix that. The culture of academia is a liberal incubator and they will do anything to keep that as it is.

It is obvious that diversity programs at schools have increased underrepresented minorities.
Diversity programs a.k.a. affirmative action policies, in which people with lower standardized test scores and undergraduate GPAs, but the right skin color, are admitted to medical school and then we're shocked, just shocked, that they start having great academic difficulty in the first 2 years.