Schools in FL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xMerryx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if anyone knows something about the University of St. Augustine for health sciences. I plan to apply for FIU and UM but I just wanted to have more options, and even though the USAHS' program looks good, I just have the information from their website so, of course is going to sound great! but I don't know anyone that could tell me more about it.
And also, can anyone tell me more about PTCAS. Iknow how to fill the applications and everything I'm just not sure about leaving the responsability of my aplication to the website since I do not know if it works for every school ....(Sorry if I sound to ignorant hehe.. :S ) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about St.Augustine except that they sent me an info packet in the mail last week and they have a combined MOT/DPT program, which I thought was interesting, though I have no intention of leaving the city I am in.

As far as PTCAS is concerned, you are right that not all schools use that system. If you visit the ptcas website, they provide a list of all schools that they handle applications for. Some schools only use PTCAS, others don't use it at all, and others require a PTCAS app and a supplemental. It is best to just contact the schools you are interested in to find out how they handle their applications. And if it wasn't clear, when you pay for your PTCAS app you will be paying separately for each school that you apply; so it will be very clear which schools you can and are applying to.

Thanks! yeah, I think that's very interesting too (the MOT/DPT)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want a strong foundation in orthopaedic/manual PT. University of St Augustine is highly recommended.

Can you go wrong with schools like UF, USF, or Miami? UF is generally an excellent choice from what I hear.

Ok, I’m seriously considering going to USA. However, I have not subjective suggestions! I mean I do not know anyone who went there and can give me an objective opinion. I went to the interview of course and asked the guides, but of course they’re going to say only good things, I’m sure they have to. I really like the curriculum but I just wan to know if is worth the money and sacrifice! (It would be a monetary sacrifice for me, for sure!) So, does anyone can give me a honest opinion or know someone that went there????

I did not attend a USA school, but the founder Dr. Stanley Paris is very well known in the PT profession. I attended a AAOMPT pre-conference course taught by Dr. Paris and a few USA faculty and thought the teaching quality was excellent. The only potential drawback I've heard is tuition & housing $$ and the St. Augustine campus sounds pretty shabby. I'm also far from convinced the DPT/OT dual degree is of any benefit.

well i just was accepted to usa but in san diego, the program is the same but the campus is much different..i have friends that started in january that have told me they really like it all together..but if your looking for some subjectives thoughts..it is very expensive!!!..they are still trying to get some things together some text needs to be printed because it is not yet published..etc!..its not a top 10..but honestly other than a few glitches..the school just became title 4 which means they have fasfa government loans now so that really helps with the cost of tuition better interest rates..small class rooms better teacher to student ratio..lots of clinical sites and they have a very high success rate!..my friend did say their tests are very confusing and need to be redone but thats really all i can say for now!..good luck

I believe its around 98%..i found it on there website somewhere!

Thanks everyone! I just have to options right now: USA and a much cheaper choice. The thing is that the USA curriculum seems to have more variety and many more options to choose from (electives), and just 7 semesters? is tempting! so I don't know...... I'm going crazy! With this said let me ask you something, what makes you choose between one school over another?

I

(I submitted the post and I was not ready =S)

cont....
I was talking to a friend and he said that the knowledge gained will depend in my personal habits (reading, research, motivation) but is it?
I know it plays a huge role, but there are some other things that we need to be taught as well

I was also down to 2 schools, UINDY and PITT. I ended up choosing PITT, and the main factors I looked into was their pass rate (100% first-time!), amount of clinical experience, and faculty. All of those combined made my decision easier. And just like your case, I will be paying more for it, but I honestly see it as an investment on myself. I partially agree with your friend that personal habits will make a difference, but in my opinion if you are offered better tools you will make more out of it.

I was talking to a friend and he said that the knowledge gained will depend in my personal habits (reading, research, motivation) but is it?

I tend to agree with your friend. Certainly your school will need to provide a certain amout of "baseline" information if you will, but from what I've seen with students for whom I have been their clinical instructor, as well as looking back at me and my classmates, the type of clinician you will be, and what you "learn," will be far more dependent on the learner than where he or she is learning.

Thanks, I do think individual efforts are far more important, but I was just wondering because one school seems to have more variety of courses to choose from and more resources probably. However, is far more expensive

Anyone have any feedback regarding the program at UM?