Schools in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InspiringDoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what good medical schools were in Canada. I live in Alberta and I am curious for what colleges I should be applying for when the time comes. Hopefully theres one close to Alberta and if there is can you tell me the prerequirments for it and some useful details. I have no idea what kind of doctor I want to be yet either so can someone tell me an interesting doctor career?

I don't want to be infront of the computer all day. I want to like save lives and be where the action is.
I am very naive about doctors and medical stuff in general so please don't hound on me if I said soemthing that is false.

Members don't see this ad.

InspiringDoctor said:
I was wondering what good medical schools were in Canada. I live in Alberta and I am curious for what colleges I should be applying for when the time comes. Hopefully theres one close to Alberta and if there is can you tell me the prerequirments for it and some useful details. I have no idea what kind of doctor I want to be yet either so can someone tell me an interesting doctor career?

I don't want to be infront of the computer all day. I want to like save lives and be where the action is.
I am very naive about doctors and medical stuff in general so please don't hound on me if I said soemthing that is false.

YOu can google all the main sites for Canadian medical schools, hey just google Canadian medical schools. That's your best bet, instead of me telling you some outdated info, go directly to their sites and find out what interests you.

I recommend googling University of Alberta and University of Calgary medical schools as well. Those are the only two medical schools in Alberta.

Members don't see this ad :)
InspiringDoctor said:

I'm not trying to hound you, but if you managed to find SDN, how could you have overlooked searching on the internet for this info?

There's this magazine called Maclean's, the Canadian version of USNews and World Report. It puts out an annual ranking of Canadian medical schools. I'm not sure how valuable it is though.

Just out of curiosity, are you currently in HS?

autoimmunity said:
There's this magazine called Maclean's, the Canadian version of USNews and World Report. It puts out an annual ranking of Canadian medical schools. I'm not sure how valuable it is though.

Actually the Mclean's ranks are about undergraduate education (i.e. Bachelors degress), and are subdivided into small ('primarily undergraduate'), medium ('comprehensive') and large ('medical-doctoral') schools. But the details of the rankings have nothing to do with graduate, post-graduate or professional programs.

There isn't really any point of ranking Canada's med schools. There are what, 15? 20? of them. And they're really not comparable because a handful are French-language, and the other schools are pretty varied with respect to class size, approach to undergrad medical education, PBL vs. lectures, early clinical experiences, etc. etc. etc. It's not that hard to check them out one by one and see which ones sound right for you.

From what I've heard all Canadian med schools are good schools-- they'll all get you into the residency program of your choice if you put in the time & effort too. Some are more prestigious than others; some can offer you more varied clinical experiences during your undergrad years. Some are expensive (>$20,000/year tuition), some are very cheap (<$5000/year). Cost of living varies widely by location, too. Classes sizes vary quite a bit.

The bottom line is, none of this is hard to figure out with a bit of googling. When you've heard about some interesting places, then maybe find some current students to find out about the types of things that aren't covered on school admissions websites.

If you're interested in Canadian med schools, go to the Canadian PreMed Boards. You'll find a lot of information there specifically about Canadian schools. I'd encourage you to read through the posts that are already there - you'll likely find answers to a lot of questions you might have (and if you post questions that have been asked repeatedly, it will be suggested that you read old threads).

You'll hopefully discover, especially if you go to the board linked above, that there is no "best" school in Canada. Yes, there are some that are recognized more in international circles, but what's really important is what med school fits with your learning style (and often, which one you can get into!). Good luck!