schools for non trad applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MHC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some friendly advice.

I am an older applicant (33- not that old but "non traditional,") I have a solid MCAT, but fairly low science gpa, and low-ish undergrad gpa. I've made it up with grad school (close to 4.0-but non-science major). I also have a lot of ECs.

I've already received acceptances to the better off-shore schools-St. Georges and AUC, but my interviewer at St. Georges stated that I should give stateside schools a shot.

I know this is probably the most annoying question that re-occurs on these boards but...

Where do you suggest I apply? What schools will see an upward trend in scholastic work over the years and are happy to accept the non-trad student?

Any input would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly how "low" is low? In other words...if you could post your undergraduate BCPM GPA and your undergrad overall GPA...that would help. Also...how solid is the MCAT? If it's 35+, it should help to balance out the undergraduate performance. I think you should definitely give the US schools a shot before heading off to "Universidad **insert location here.**" Best of luck in the admissions process. I hope you're admitted to the school of your choice.

I am slightly non-trad myself and had several friends who were older, in their late 20's - 40's when i was working on post-bac stuff. Some of the schools that were recommended to them as being more non-trad friendly were Michigan State, Vermont, Temple, Drexel, and Mt. Sinai. I have heard really good things about Michigan State for non-trads and I know a family friend who turned down Columbia to go to Temple because she felt more comfortable there as an older (30+) student. Also, state schools and DO schools are often receptive to older applicants, especially if you have lived in the state for a long time and want to do primary care there. Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!