Coursework & Fieldwork School Systems for Fieldwork

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdOT17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an almost second year OT student and have started to narrow down fieldwork placements for next year. One of my placements that my fieldwork coordinator suggested was school systems. I ultimately want to do peds and I have spent the majority of my observation hours before school in a private clinic so I think it would be great to see peds elsewhere. Has anyone else done a placement in the schools? Did you like it? Anything you didn’t like? Was it a great experience for the boards?

Members don't see this ad.

Practicing OT here, but I did a Level II rotation in a school. I also work in pediatrics and if that is your intent, especially if you end up in an outpatient setting then yes, I think it's extremely valuable to understand the school system and its delivery of special education and related services, which includes OT, as OT in the school system is very different than in a private setting. Outpatient peds therapists tend to get a bad rap from school therapists due to some outpatient therapists overstepping their boundaries. Consequently, I find it difficult to collaborate with school based therapists as many are already wary, even though I am informed and stay within the scope of my setting. It will help with boards as much as any other setting would - you can't address all settings during fieldwork, so studying is key as well. From a student perspective, I did NOT enjoy my school rotation, and thus had no interest in pursuing a job in the school system. I found it very limiting in scope, and trying to deal with teachers, administration and parents who did not understand the role of OT, nor care to know was extremely frustrating.

Reactions: 1 users
Practicing OT here, but I did a Level II rotation in a school. I also work in pediatrics and if that is your intent, especially if you end up in an outpatient setting then yes, I think it's extremely valuable to understand the school system and its delivery of special education and related services, which includes OT, as OT in the school system is very different than in a private setting. Outpatient peds therapists tend to get a bad rap from school therapists due to some outpatient therapists overstepping their boundaries. Consequently, I find it difficult to collaborate with school based therapists as many are already wary, even though I am informed and stay within the scope of my setting. It will help with boards as much as any other setting would - you can't address all settings during fieldwork, so studying is key as well. From a student perspective, I did NOT enjoy my school rotation, and thus had no interest in pursuing a job in the school system. I found it very limiting in scope, and trying to deal with teachers, administration and parents who did not understand the role of OT, nor care to know was extremely frustrating.

Thank you for this feedback! I knew it would be valuable for future understanding of pediatrics at large so I am glad to know that you agree! I am sorry you did not enjoy it! that is my fear too, but I am hoping that it will get better once I get there next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently work in school based and had a level II in it. School and district varies from place to place. Advocating and teaching people about OT is part of the job just like any other setting. My opinion and a broad statement: less people know about OT in education compared to medical. School is a very specific setting similar to early intervention or NICU. It allows exposure to pediatrics but it is limiting in scope like mentioned above. I love it because of the autonomy (no productivity) and many parents, teachers, and parents trust me to get the job done. The stronger these relationships are, the more is gained through the therapeutic relationship. You do have to own being the expert (which you are whether in training or a practicing clinician). You do have to be more of a go-getting because no one is going to hold your hand in this setting (The principal isn't going to tell you what an OT can and cannot do but they can provide educational information). There isn't a doctor's order- you follow the IEP, a legal document, which the team collectively decides what is in it.

I had an amazing level II and got the opportunity to work with inclusion programs, mild-moderate classrooms, and general education. I got to learn how to administer standardized tests such as BOT2, Peabody, School Profile2, VMI, and a few other assessments. These experience helps learning to differentiate normal child development and deviations. Because school is an educational model, it does not expose one self to the medical complication so much. My other fieldwork was in acute care so I felt like I got a good array of experience. One question I would ask your fieldwork coordinator, is how is the mentoring or experience with the specific site? What are past student's review? Did they learn a lot? Placement experience can be a hit or miss. You will pass the board by studying and filling in the gap of the experience you missed. Your level II are important because it makes a strong foundation as a clinician. Go in with an open mind and learn as much as you can. If school is potentially exciting, then go for it. If school doesn't sound appealing, go for something else.

Reactions: 1 user
I currently work in school based and had a level II in it. School and district varies from place to place. Advocating and teaching people about OT is part of the job just like any other setting. My opinion and a broad statement: less people know about OT in education compared to medical. School is a very specific setting similar to early intervention or NICU. It allows exposure to pediatrics but it is limiting in scope like mentioned above. I love it because of the autonomy (no productivity) and many parents, teachers, and parents trust me to get the job done. The stronger these relationships are, the more is gained through the therapeutic relationship. You do have to own being the expert (which you are whether in training or a practicing clinician). You do have to be more of a go-getting because no one is going to hold your hand in this setting (The principal isn't going to tell you what an OT can and cannot do but they can provide educational information). There isn't a doctor's order- you follow the IEP, a legal document, which the team collectively decides what is in it.

I had an amazing level II and got the opportunity to work with inclusion programs, mild-moderate classrooms, and general education. I got to learn how to administer standardized tests such as BOT2, Peabody, School Profile2, VMI, and a few other assessments. These experience helps learning to differentiate normal child development and deviations. Because school is an educational model, it does not expose one self to the medical complication so much. My other fieldwork was in acute care so I felt like I got a good array of experience. One question I would ask your fieldwork coordinator, is how is the mentoring or experience with the specific site? What are past student's review? Did they learn a lot? Placement experience can be a hit or miss. You will pass the board by studying and filling in the gap of the experience you missed. Your level II are important because it makes a strong foundation as a clinician. Go in with an open mind and learn as much as you can. If school is potentially exciting, then go for it. If school doesn't sound appealing, go for something else.

This is SO great! I needed to hear this and you provided a lot of feedback, so thank you! I will keep those questions in mind as well. Thank you again! You have given me a lot to think about and ponder on! :)