School suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powerof0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a RI resident who will be applying this summer. Since I won't have any state schools to apply to, I will have to apply to OOS-friendly schools. I have come up with the following list:

Duke?
U Chicago?
Mayo
Vanderbilt
Warren Alpert (Brown)
U Michigan?
University of Pittsburg

Boston University
Case Western
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin?
Tufts
U Rochester
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wake Forest

It would be great if I can get a few more suggestions for schools that I can apply to, since the current list is a bit top-heavy.

I have included some of my stats, in case this information is needed.

Rhode Island resident
College: Vanderbilt
cGPA: ~3.85
sGPA: ~3.83
MCAT: have not taken, hoping for a 32-35

Clinical experience
Volunteering at a community clinic for one summer

ECs
Research for 2 years (continuing)
A club sport for 2 years (continuing), 6 hr/week
Volunteering at after-school program for disadvantaged children for 3 years (continuing), 1.5 hr/week
Choir for 1 year (continuing), 3 hr/week
Policy debate for 1 year (quit), ~8 hr/week

Members don't see this ad.

I am a RI resident who will be applying this summer. Since I won't have any state schools to apply to, I will have to apply to OOS-friendly schools. I have come up with the following list:

Duke?
U Chicago?
Mayo
Vanderbilt
Warren Alpert (Brown)
U Michigan?
University of Pittsburg

Boston University
Case Western
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin?
Tufts
U Rochester
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wake Forest

It would be great if I can get a few more suggestions for schools that I can apply to, since the current list is a bit top-heavy.

I have included some of my stats, in case this information is needed.

Rhode Island resident
College: Vanderbilt
cGPA: ~3.85
sGPA: ~3.83
MCAT: have not taken, hoping for a 32-35

Clinical experience
Volunteering at a community clinic for one summer

ECs
Research for 2 years (continuing)
A club sport for 2 years (continuing), 6 hr/week
Volunteering at after-school program for disadvantaged children for 3 years (continuing), 1.5 hr/week
Choir for 1 year (continuing), 3 hr/week
Policy debate for 1 year (quit), ~8 hr/week
It's premature to make a school list without a known MCAT score, but you can maybe download this google.doc spreadsheet data (an SDN collaborative effort from 5/11), so you can fill in your own (projected) stats, and it will tell you for which US med schools you're competitive with different MCAT outcome scenarios. Next look at the in-state matriculation data before you do further research on each school for "fit," removing any from your list that take more than 85% in-state students: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

Do you have only one summer's worth of clinical experience, which would be seriously below the average listed of 1.5 years? Or did you interact with sick people during your research activity or in some other way? If not, I'd suggest you might want to get some regular gig in a medical environment and continue with it through the application year for the sake of Secondarys, interview conversations, and update letters. If you end up reapplying, your application would be far stronger with that extra year.

And don't forget to get in some physician shadowing; about 50 hours is the average. Do you have any teaching (maybe with the kids) or peer leadership?

The rest of your ECs look good.

It's Pittsburgh, with an H on the end. I don't know if misspelling the school in your secondary is an auto-reject, but it probably doesn't help.

If your MCAT ends up where you think it will, I would look at rounding out your list with some OOS-friendly publics (such as Ohio State, Penn State, Virginia, Iowa).