School Specific MCAT Cut Off ***For each sub-section***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeeeagle!!

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Does anyone know of any specific osteopathic school cut off values for the sections of the MCAT?

As an example, would school "X" disqualify any applicant with an MCAT section score less than 125 for the new MCAT?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
Does anyone know of any specific osteopathic school cut off values for the sections of the MCAT?

As an example, would school "X" disqualify any applicant with an MCAT section score less than 125 for the new MCAT?

Thanks

Some schools would, but you would have to call the specific schools and ask.

I know NOVA and PCOM screen for >/= 125. PCOM said it on their website. NOVA I heard out of the horse's mouth.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know NOVA and PCOM screen for >/= 125. PCOM said it on their website. NOVA I heard out of the horse's mouth.

Is this a hard and fast rule, or is there grey area? For instance, I got a 505 MCAT score, but unfortunately had one section that was 124. Would they disqualify me even though my total score is pretty good for DO schools, in your opinion?

Is this a hard and fast rule, or is there grey area? For instance, I got a 505 MCAT score, but unfortunately had one section that was 124. Would they disqualify me even though my total score is pretty good for DO schools, in your opinion?
It sounded pretty clear cut for those 2. For others there is grey and by that I mean a particularly strong area of your application could remedy it in their mind or display equivalent skills necessary for that section. UNECOM I know has some flexibility. They say something like "individuals with multiple sections of 7 or 6 or single subsections with 5 or below may face an even greater admissions challenge".

Edit: I believe RVU-COM is another one that has a hard cutoff number. Though I don't recall what the cutoff is.

Last edited:

Is 125 equivalent to an 8 on the old scale? I got a 7 on verbal (124 on the new scale) and was accepted to NSU this cycle. I don't think NSU screens for >=125 - but with 12000+ applicants this year, it's probably quite difficult to get in with a low MCAT.

Is 125 equivalent to an 8 on the old scale? I got a 7 on verbal (124 on the new scale) and was accepted to NSU this cycle. I don't think NSU screens for >=125 - but with 12000+ applicants this year, it's probably quite difficult to get in with a low MCAT.

What was your aggregate MCAT if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's not a hard/fast subsection cut-off rule this year for Nova, but it counts against you. They weigh the science heavier than non-science subsections as well. Nova also looks at overall MCAT score, so if you make in the 38th percentile in one area but 86th in others it can balance out. I know of quite a few who applied early who got through the auto cutoffs with a 501 MCAT with lower in certain sections. A 505 should be fine if the rest of your application is good. Don't know if things will be set in stone more this coming year.

Is this known for PCOM GA too? I am averaging above 500 on my mcats but my c/p has consistently been at 124...