School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.opt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Isn?t it odd that there is no official optometry school ranking? I guess that the reason why they haven?t done one is because it wouldn?t benefit the schools that aren?t that good, right? +pity+ .
Today you are able to find concrete facts just about everything, still, no one has published a comprehensive optometry school analysis! There is a one-page deal at the ASCO website, but it?s outdated and it only has a few things about each school. Shouldn?t someone be doing something about this? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are right in the idea of an in depth analysis of what each school has to offer, but a ranking would not be a good idea.

There is a ranking of MD schools because there are ~124 of them in the US. With that many they can say, "These are the top 25, and the rest fall in these teirs..." If you look for DO rankings, you will not find them. There are only 17 (?). With that number you can only say, "This is the best one, and this is the worst, here are the rest." The same problem is seen with OD schools. There are not enough to give a good break down.

The one thing you can think of is this, they all are good. If anyone did not provide a good education, they would lose their accredidation. The only thing to come out of a ranking would be decrease enrollment at the bottom schools. These schools could be at the bottom because they have older labs then the one new ones, but the education quality is the same.

There are just not enough to do it.

The 1st time passage rate on Part I of the optometry boards would be one stat that I would want to know before applying to a school. The nat ave is around 70-75%, OSU has been 92-100% for over 10 yrs now, with some recent classes at 100%.

UHCO's pass rate last year was 97%
Only three students failed out of the 100 who took it. (this is what I hear from third year students.. not actual published facts from the school)