School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westernboy123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'm a senior and going to be taking a gap year. I was hoping to get some advise on my school list (Also a California Resident). If there are any other schools you think would be a good fit, or have any comments on improving my application, please let me know. Thanks!

Info about me:
GPA: 3.92 (top ten school)
MCAT: Test #1: 513 (89th percentile), Test #2, 2 months apart: 517 (96th percentile)

Clinical Experience/Research Experience
-3 years in a Clinical research lab (3 years)
-Gap Year NIH IRTA Postbac (40 hrs/week 1 year)
-80 Hours volunteering Surgery Center (2 years)
-100 hours volunteering Nursing Home (1.5 years)
-60 hours Clinical Shadowing (Anesthesiologist, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Urgent Care Doctor) (1 year)

Other Volunteering/
Experiences

-Director of a fundraiser (2 years)
-Tutor underprivileged students (1 semester)
-Co-Founded a new company and developed an iPhone App (2 years)
-Club Basketball / Intramural Sports

1. Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
2. UCSF
3. Yale School of Medicine
4. Duke University School of Medicine
5. Columbia University
6. Michigan
7. UCLA
8. NYU
9. University of Pittsburgh
10. UC San Diego
11. Cornell
12. Northwestern
13. Icahn School of Medicine (Mount Sainai)
14. Emory
15. Case Western
16. UVA
17. Boston University
18. Ohio State University
19. USC Keck
20. University of Rochester
21. Dartmouth
22. Einstein
23. UC Davis
24. UC Irvine
25. University of Miami
26. Georgetown
27. Tufts
28. Wake Forest
29. Thomas Jefferson University
30. St. Louis University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Couple questions that I think are pertinent!
Are you URM? (I know ppl hate question but ya)
Do you consider yourself good in conversation? Are you easy to talk to?
Of all your activities, is there one thing that really helps you stand out? (in your opinion)
I had essentially the same stats as you, but had less activities (no shadowing and almost no research, but a lot of clinical hours) and ended up only getting into a couple schools..
Nevertheless, I think you look more complete and would have a realistic chance at most of those schools! Good luck.

Couple questions that I think are pertinent!
Are you URM? (I know ppl hate question but ya)
Do you consider yourself good in conversation? Are you easy to talk to?
Of all your activities, is there one thing that really helps you stand out? (in your opinion)
I had essentially the same stats as you, but had less activities (no shadowing and almost no research, but a lot of clinical hours) and ended up only getting into a couple schools..
Nevertheless, I think you look more complete and would have a realistic chance at most of those schools! Good luck.
Thanks for the advice! I'm not an URM (Asian), what's considered a good amount of clinical hours? I will have a gap year to further immerse myself possibly on weekends, but that won't really make it onto the app by early June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your application looks solid to me. I say go for it.

Thanks for the advice! I'm not an URM (Asian), what's considered a good amount of clinical hours? I will have a gap year to further immerse myself possibly on weekends, but that won't really make it onto the app by early June.
I'm sure if you worked weekends (even every other) as a primary care giver, scribe, ect. you could garner up plenty of hours to make yourself look desirable in that regard.
I had 5000 hours of clinical work but I truly don't feel like most high-end schools care that you have that much..
IMO I think most school just wanna check that you have a couple hundred hours.
Anyways, that's how I felt after my application cycle!

Man I had pretty similar list as yours. I'd say get rid of Jefferson and Boston tbh. I had similar stats are yours and didn't even get an invite from them don't think they send out invites unless you show real commitment or strong ties to the region... even if you are qualified and have strong stats. I'd also probably include UPenn, Harvard, Chicago if money isn't an issue.

Man I had pretty similar list as yours. I'd say get rid of Jefferson and Boston tbh. I had similar stats are yours and didn't even get an invite from them don't think they send out invites unless you show real commitment or strong ties to the region... even if you are qualified and have strong stats. I'd also probably include UPenn, Harvard, Chicago if money isn't an issue.
Thanks for the note! I was just worried about adding too many schools with an MCAT average of 37.........a 517 translates to a 35, and I took the MCAT twice so I wasn't sure if I had a shot at those schools.

Thanks for the note! I was just worried about adding too many schools with an MCAT average of 37.........a 517 translates to a 35, and I took the MCAT twice so I wasn't sure if I had a shot at those schools.

I mean you improved a solid score to a pretty strong score so they can't really knock you on that front. You may as well add the schools.

Reach for the sky~ haha I mean those are reach for everyone and if you are gonna include Johns hopkins might as well include those as well, you might get lucky. I didn't think i'll get interview at any of those top schools that i had below average MCAT score but I was lucky to get a few. I would definitely pre-write all the secondaries NOW though... it took me forever to submit all the secondaries since I applied to a lot.. and I think that might have hurt a bit in rolling-based schools.

This will get moved to WAMC sooner or later but you do realize 80% of your list is schools that have 34+ median MCATs? The ones that dont are largely schools that get over 10k apps a year. For someone with multiple MCAT scores, who's from CA and who's high MCAT score is a 35/517, restructing your list would probably be a good idea. Being from CA, ideally you want roughly 12-15 OOS schools you could say you have a fair shot at getting a II; right now I count about half that many on your current list. It's probably also worth noting some evaluators might not be huge fans of retaking that 513; your odds of getting a II at gyngyn's UC school as an example would probably be affected negatively by that decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Reach for the sky~ haha I mean those are reach for everyone and if you are gonna include Johns hopkins might as well include those as well, you might get lucky. I didn't think i'll get interview at any of those top schools that i had below average MCAT score but I was lucky to get a few. I would definitely pre-write all the secondaries NOW though... it took me forever to submit all the secondaries since I applied to a lot.. and I think that might have hurt a bit in rolling-based schools.
Thanks for the advice guys!

This will get moved to WAMC sooner or later but you do realize 80% of your list is schools that have 34+ median MCATs? The ones that dont are largely schools that get over 10k apps a year. For someone with multiple MCAT scores, who's from CA and who's high MCAT score is a 35/517, restructing your list would probably be a good idea. Being from CA, ideally you want roughly 12-15 OOS schools you could say you have a fair shot at getting a II; right now I count about half that many on your current list.
What schools would you suggest? I was looking at schools like Drexel, Temple, and George Washington, but ended up taking those out because my pre-health advisor at my college told me they (George Washington specifically) tend to screen out people because they "don't think I'd go there"

Members don't see this ad :)
What schools would you suggest? I was looking at schools like Drexel, Temple, and George Washington, but ended up taking those out because my pre-health advisor told me they tend to screen out people like me because they "don't think I'd go there"

Go through MSAR and look at schools where the median MCAT is in the 31-33 range that take at least 25% OOS. The fewer the apps, the better as well(ie try and aim for those who get under 10k apps a year). You can find at least a dozen schools with these qualifications.

Hello everybody,

I'm a senior and going to be taking a gap year. I was hoping to get some advise on my school list (Also a California Resident). If there are any other schools you think would be a good fit, or have any comments on improving my application, please let me know. Thanks!

Info about me:
GPA: 3.92 (top ten school)
MCAT: Test #1: 513 (89th percentile), Test #2, 2 months apart: 517 (96th percentile)

Clinical Experience/Research Experience
-3 years in a Clinical research lab (3 years)
-Gap Year NIH IRTA Postbac (40 hrs/week 1 year)
-80 Hours volunteering Surgery Center (2 years)
-100 hours volunteering Nursing Home (1.5 years)
-60 hours Clinical Shadowing (Anesthesiologist, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Urgent Care Doctor) (1 year)

Other Volunteering/
Experiences

-Director of a fundraiser (2 years)
-Tutor underprivileged students (1 semester)
-Co-Founded a new company and developed an iPhone App (2 years)
-Club Basketball / Intramural Sports

2. UCSF
5. Columbia University
6. Michigan
7. UCLA
8. NYU
10. UC San Diego
11. Cornell
12. Northwestern
14. Emory
15. Case Western
16. UVA
17. Boston University
19. USC Keck
21. Dartmouth
22. Einstein
23. UC Davis
24. UC Irvine
25. University of Miami
26. Georgetown
27. Tufts
28. Wake Forest
30. St. Louis University

Holy cow... did you seriously retake a 513?! Get a helmet. Goro would be tempted to reach through the monitor and slap someone upside the head for that.

Reactions: 1 users
Holy cow... did you seriously retake a 513?! Get a helmet. Goro would be tempted to reach through the monitor and slap someone upside the head for that.

I was thinking the same. Sheesh.

I retook the 513 since it was pretty unbalanced as well (130,126,126,131), and I retook and was fortunate enough to do better (131,127,129,130)

I retook the 513 since it was pretty unbalanced as well (130,126,126,131), and I retook and was fortunate enough to do better (131,127,129,130)

Not sure the retake really helped your application. In fact there are schools like gyngyn's UC one where your odds at getting a II were probably negatively affected by retaking a perfectly fine score like 513. Alas, what's done is done no use crying about it. You can clearly still get into med school just fine it's just worth pointing this out. Multiple MCAT scores matters and it's part of why reaching for top schools where your highest score is still <avg for them and those schools are full of applicants who hit 519+ on their first attempt should not be done excessively.

Definitely get some more clinical hours in a hospital/office setting rather than just the 100 hours of hospice. Maybe scribe part time wherever you'll be during your gap year? Also, what's your volunteering look like? Gotta get those up too if you can

This was not smart, but not a deal breaker at all. Aim high, this list looks solid to me bud. Keep building those clinical hours during your year off and you'll be golden. If you're in southern california PM me and I can point you towards some awesome clinical opportunities.

While I do think you are competitive for those schools, you should also aim schools for which you are ahead of, rather than in line with, most of the applicants that apply.

This will get moved to WAMC sooner or later but you do realize 80% of your list is schools that have 34+ median MCATs? The ones that dont are largely schools that get over 10k apps a year. For someone with multiple MCAT scores, who's from CA and who's high MCAT score is a 35/517, restructing your list would probably be a good idea. Being from CA, ideally you want roughly 12-15 OOS schools you could say you have a fair shot at getting a II; right now I count about half that many on your current list. It's probably also worth noting some evaluators might not be huge fans of retaking that 513; your odds of getting a II at gyngyn's UC school as an example would probably be affected negatively by that decision.

Agreed with the above. You have a great application but you're applying top heavy. Keep in mind that the other applicants to more than half of your schools have stats equal to, or higher than yours. And applying to top tiers is kind of a ****-show, you never know who's going to be interested in your story. Also, your chances go down further if you aren't from a selective undergrad, public or private. It's not like you wouldn't have a good chance at getting interviews if you applied as is, but personally I'd want as much of a guarantee to be accepted in the next cycle as is possible with these things.

Agreed with the above. You have a great application but you're applying top heavy. Keep in mind that the other applicants to more than half of your schools have stats equal to, or higher than yours. And applying to top tiers is kind of a ****-show, you never know who's going to be interested in your story. Also, your chances go down further if you aren't from a selective undergrad, public or private. It's not like you wouldn't have a good chance at getting interviews if you applied as is, but personally I'd want as much of a guarantee to be accepted in the next cycle as is possible with these things.
To be fair tho OP is applying to like 30 schools. I think if you applying lower than 20 the ratio makes good sense but it's sort of like tacking on 5-10 more reach schools if you apply more, you get what I mean? That being said yeah OP could probably apply couple more backups and range.

OP you also have great GPA so LizzyM score wise you are within range. It's funny because I have almost exactly the same stats as yours and similar clinical exp and research experience as well (nursing home/neurosurgery shadowing/3 year research etc.), other than taking a gap year. For what it's worth I applied similarly to you got wait listed at 2 "top tier" schools, accepted to 2 of the "top tier" schools, 2 "mid tier", and 2 backup. I think the list is fine as long as you really make the secondaries shine and nail the interview.

List is fine! If you did a lot of research in undergrad, I'd also suggest that you pop in some top schools like Harvard, Yale, etc.I had lower stats than you and applied to a more balance school list. However, I found that I had no luck for most mid-tiered schools like the Philly ones (Jefferson and Pittsburgh..in fact Pittsburgh rejected me in October!!). If you applied to your mid-tiered school simply because they're mid-tiered, I'd suggest that you work really hard on the secondary app to show them that your mission align with theirs and not just because they are a mid-tier school.

Aim high. I suggest:

All UCs except UCR IF you're not from the Inland Empire
USC/Keck
5. Columbia University
6. Michigan
7. UCLA
8. NYU
11. Cornell
12. Northwestern
14. Emory
15. Case Western
16. UVA
17. Boston University
21. Dartmouth
22. Einstein
25. University of Miami
26. Georgetown
27. Tufts
28. Wake Forest
Hofstra
SUNY SB

I mean you improved a solid score to a pretty strong score so they can't really knock you on that front. You may as well add the schools.
Our screening committee would find this behavior pretty strange, especially the two month interval.

Our screening committee would find this behavior pretty strange, especially the two month interval.

I guess I stand corrected. Good to know anyhow.

Riverside area. @gyngyn is the expert on this level of geography.
This refers to western Riverside County and southwestern San Bernardino County, in particular. Those with strong ties to either County would be good candidates for UCR. Their mission is to provide physicians for this region.

@gyngyn What if someone has lived in North California their whole life but is looking to settle in those areas?

@gyngyn What if someone has lived in North California their whole life but is looking to settle in those areas?
The odds of being accepted to medical school in NorCal is very small.
After being educated elsewhere and training in a field that is in demand (the region is super-saturated) you may certainly look for work in N CA. The pay may be relatively low compared to places where doctors are needed, though...

I'd add University of Maryland. They seem to like IRTAs and you can get in-state tuition after a year (possibly earlier if you're currently living in MD).

The odds of being accepted to medical school in NorCal is very small.
After being educated elsewhere and training in a field that is in demand (the region is super-saturated) you may certainly look for work in N CA. The pay may be relatively low compared to places where doctors are needed, though...

I was referring to growing up in NorCal but wanting to settle in the Riverside area... will that give the applicant an advantage in applying to UCR med school?

The only way you won't get an acceptance is if you say that you're the reincarnation of Hippocrates on your personal statement or you make an ass of yourself during your interviews. Just be humble and you'll be fine. Solid work.

I was referring to growing up in NorCal but wanting to settle in the Riverside area... will that give the applicant an advantage in applying to UCR med school?
It is possible, but not likely.
They need to be able to see the connection.

I had similar stats and got interviews at Iowa and Cincinnati. Both schools seem friendly to high MCAT OOS applicants.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

Quite honestly, I really wasn't feeling well when I took the MCAT for the first time, and I knew it wasn't indicative of my knowledge. After I got healthier, I signed up for the exam again and retook it fairly soon thereafter (explaining the 2-month gap). I'm not really sure how the committee would be able to know the situation, but maybe if they ask during an interview I can explain it?