School List help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tommy317

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior applying this summer for entry in the fall of 2018.
Cummulative GPA=3.9
Mcat- to be taken (may 13th)

Extracurricular:
Marching band

Shadowing:
100 hours in general physician
this summer will also do 100 hours with a general physician, plus 100 with a cardiologist.

School List:
UCF
UF
FIU
FAU
FSU
USF
UM
Wake Forest

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can speak to the Florida schools...Miami, UF, maybe even USF - want to see research. Miami especially. FSU is huuuge on fit - serving under served populations. I've seen them turn down very high stat students that they don't feel have a good fit for someone with lower stats but a proven dedication to an under served population and explicit desire to practice in Florida, especially NW FL. I've seen FAU & FIU be wildcards...I can never tell what they're going to do.

I'm pretty sure Mercer has a strong In-state preference. Other than that, it seems like a pretty solid list! If you get 508+ on the MCAT, you'll probably interview at most of them...

Members don't see this ad :)
All your state schools for sure regardless of ur mcat (unless its too low then consider a retake)

Then pick mid-tier private schools OOS and a couple of reach schools..depending on your MCAT.

Schools generally fall into primary care or research and depending on your mission and goals, you would choose respectively.

I am currently a junior at UCF and am part of the Burnett Honors College, applying this summer for entry in the fall of 2018.
Cummulative GPA=3.9

Extracurricular:
Marching band (3 years, 1 year section leader, 1 year drum major)
Volunteering in ER(7 years, 1 year as department head)

Shadowing:
this summer will also do 100 hours with a general physician, plus 100 with a cardiologist.

School List:
UCF
UF
FIU
FAU
FSU
USF
UM
Wake Forest
Duke
UNC
Vanderbilt
Univeristy of Tennessee HSC
USC Greenville
Medical University of South carolina
South carolina School of Medicine
Mercer
Emory
Ponce Health
Medical College of Georgia at Aususta University
Morehouse School of Medicine
Eastern Tenessee

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Assuming you're a FL resident?
You have quite a few state schools on your list that heavily favor IS residents. I wouldn't recommend it. (UNC, USC, Tennessee, Georgia..). Are you puerto rican/speak spanish? Ponce is a terrible idea otherwise. Morehouse is also a HBC, are you URM? Your lack of research will be a problem for Duke, especially. But also possibly Vandy and Emory.

But I echo above, withou an MCAT it is really hard to say. But even right now you can eliminate schools based on fit or just eliminating schools that heavily favor IS students. (Or, if you lack research not applying to research powerhouses, etc etc)

I am currently a junior at UCF and am part of the Burnett Honors College, applying this summer for entry in the fall of 2018.
Cummulative GPA=3.9

Extracurricular:
Marching band (3 years, 1 year section leader, 1 year drum major)
Volunteering in ER(7 years, 1 year as department head)

Shadowing:

School List:
UCF
UF
FIU
FAU
FSU
USF
UM
Wake Forest
Duke
UNC
Vanderbilt
Univeristy of Tennessee HSC
USC Greenville
Medical University of South carolina
South carolina School of Medicine
Mercer
Emory
Ponce Health
Medical College of Georgia at Aususta University
Morehouse School of Medicine
Eastern Tenessee

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Pretty useless w/o a MCAT score at this point. However, if you're not a veteran and not a Tennessee/GA/SC resident you can take those schools off your list, especially ETSU, Medical College of GA, & SC. It's in your best interest to stay in the states for med school if you can manage it so I'd take Ponce off too. You'll get better feedback from sdn once you have a MCAT score.

Assuming you're a FL resident?
You have quite a few state schools on your list that heavily favor IS residents. I wouldn't recommend it. (UNC, USC, Tennessee, Georgia..). Are you puerto rican/speak spanish? Ponce is a terrible idea otherwise. Morehouse is also a HBC, are you URM? Your lack of research will be a problem for Duke, especially. But also possibly Vandy and Emory.

But I echo above, withou an MCAT it is really hard to say. But even right now you can eliminate schools based on fit or just eliminating schools that heavily favor IS students. (Or, if you lack research not applying to research powerhouses, etc etc)
I am a FL resident yes, and additionally i understand the MCAT score is a huge (HUGE) factor in determining my options. Thank you for your insight, i've been trying to figure out what schools heavily favor IS residents, HBC, etc so i can make a more proper list.

Eyyyy fellow marching band person! What instrument?

Also, yeah, I don't have any further advice other than what people have already said. Watch out for in-state bias, don't go out of the states in most circumstances, etc. Make sure the schools you're applying to fit well–for you, you can pick schools with heavy service missions, but maybe not ones that emphasize research. MCAT is important, and you can't assume anything, but if it's anywhere near as high as your GPA you'll be fine.

Eyyyy fellow marching band person! What instrument?

Also, yeah, I don't have any further advice other than what people have already said. Watch out for in-state bias, don't go out of the states in most circumstances, etc. Make sure the schools you're applying to fit well–for you, you can pick schools with heavy service missions, but maybe not ones that emphasize research. MCAT is important, and you can't assume anything, but if it's anywhere near as high as your GPA you'll be fine.
I'm a mellophone/french horn player, what do you play??

I am a FL resident yes, and additionally i understand the MCAT score is a huge (HUGE) factor in determining my options. Thank you for your insight, i've been trying to figure out what schools heavily favor IS residents, HBC, etc so i can make a more proper list.

All that information is contained within the MSAR! So definitely get a subscription to it, that will help get your list together.