MD & DO School list help/ WAMC MD v DO. 511/ 3.46 cGPA, Lots of experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredrnick

Reaction score
  1. I graduated with a BS in 2016. My undergrad institution is a top 35, jesuit university. I was a Biochemistry major, Economics minor, and a member of the Arts and Sciences Honors Program.
  2. My cGPA and sGPA havent been calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS yet but I think my cGPA is ~3.46 and my sGPA is ~3.18 . My undergrad cGPA was a 3.40 and my undergrad sGPA was a 3.05. My yearly cGPAs were 3.33, 3.22, 3.32, 3.70. My final three semesters, my cGPAs were 3.510, 3.480, and finally 3.934, showing an upward trend.
  3. My post-bacc GPA is a 4.0 where I took 2 classes at a different 4yr university. I took Microbiology and retook Orgo II (I recieved a C the first time). I also had 3 As from High School classes that count for credit
  4. MCAT score: 511 (128/127/129/127)
  5. State of residence: New York. but very connected w massachusetts
  6. White male
  7. Clinical experience: Medical assistant in the orthopedic surgery department of a well known hospital since graduating ~2 years ago (3800 hours), Transitional Care unit volunteer (100 hours), Medical service trip volunteer (250 hours)
  8. Research experience: Senior year, I was a member of a twelve-student, advanced laboratory course and at the end of the semester we delivered a poster presentation at the undergrad research day (125 hours) Currently interviewing for a clinical research assistant position for this upcoming year until (hopeful) matriculation.
  9. Shadowing experience: (100 hours) in addition to my observations in the ortho clinic as a medical assistant. 3 ortho surgeries, a pain medicine MD, an infectious disease DO, and a podiatrist. (Will be looking to shadow more including primary care this summer/ upcoming year.)
  10. Non-clinical volunteering: Big Brother Big Sister (150 hours), 9th grade ESL tutor (70 hours), Habitat for humanity volunteer (200 hours), middle school tutor and cafeteria volunteer (100 hours)
  11. Other employment: Seafood restaurant food server/cashier (450 hours)
  12. Other extracurricular activities: Sports marketing organization president (250 hours), Student government Executive board member (400 hours) , Recreational athletics (~4000 hours)
  13. Honors: A&S Honors program, Economics honors society, Eagle Scout
  14. I submitted my primary July 3rd. I think I have a strong PS, well written activities descriptions, and strong letters of rec.
Tentative list of schools: I know I am not a star candidate but I think I have a shot at an MD. My approach to my list was in-state schools, public schools that let in a good amount of out of state students, jesuit affiliated, schools that like students who have worked for a few years and like volunteer/leadership/clinical experience, schools that may weight my upward trend, MCAT and 4.0 post-bacc GPA more favorably and can try to look past my overall undergrad GPA, etc...

Let me know what you think of my list (still a work in progress- may have missed some good for OOS or new schools if any) and my chances. I am also planning on applying to a few DO schools (maybe 5?) but haven't thought about that as thoroughly yet. Schools are in no particular order.

1. State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
  2. State University of New York Upstate Medical University
  3. Stony Brook University School of Medicine
  4. Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
  5. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
  6. Boston University School of Medicine
  7. Creighton University School of Medicine
  8. Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
  9. Drexel University College of Medicine
  10. Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
  11. Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
  12. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
  13. Georgetown University School of Medicine
  14. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  15. New York Medical College
  16. Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
  17. Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
  18. Tufts University School of Medicine
  19. Tulane University School of Medicine
  20. University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
  21. Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
  22. Albany Medical College
  23. University of Vermont College of Medicine
  24. Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
  25. Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
  26. University of Massachusetts Medical School
  27. Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
  28. Wayne State University School of Medicine
  29. Medical College of Wisconsin
  30. Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
DO: havent researched very well, these are mainly based on location, but I would love some suggestions.

PCOM, NYIT-COM, UNECOM

Members don't see this ad.

Virginia Tech has a small class with an instate and regional preference. You could add Seton Hall, NOVA MD and Oakland Beaumont.
For DO schools consider adding MU-COM and LECOM (all schools).

1. I graduated with a BS in 2016. My undergrad institution is a top 35, jesuit university. I was a Biochemistry major, Economics minor, and a member of the Arts and Sciences Honors Program.
  2. My cGPA and sGPA havent been calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS yet but I think my cGPA is ~3.46 and my sGPA is ~3.18 . My undergrad cGPA was a 3.40 and my undergrad sGPA was a 3.05. My yearly cGPAs were 3.33, 3.22, 3.32, 3.70. My final three semesters, my cGPAs were 3.510, 3.480, and finally 3.934, showing an upward trend.
  3. My post-bacc GPA is a 4.0 where I took 2 classes at a different 4yr university. I took Microbiology and retook Orgo II (I recieved a C the first time). I also had 3 As from High School classes that count for credit
  4. MCAT score: 511 (128/127/129/127)
  5. State of residence: New York. but very connected w massachusetts
  6. White male
  7. Clinical experience: Medical assistant in the orthopedic surgery department of a well known hospital since graduating ~2 years ago (3800 hours), Transitional Care unit volunteer (100 hours), Medical service trip volunteer (250 hours)
  8. Research experience: Senior year, I was a member of a twelve-student, advanced laboratory course and at the end of the semester we delivered a poster presentation at the undergrad research day (125 hours) Currently interviewing for a clinical research assistant position for this upcoming year until (hopeful) matriculation.
  9. Shadowing experience: (100 hours) in addition to my observations in the ortho clinic as a medical assistant. 3 ortho surgeries, a pain medicine MD, an infectious disease DO, and a podiatrist. (Will be looking to shadow more including primary care this summer/ upcoming year.)
  10. Non-clinical volunteering: Big Brother Big Sister (150 hours), 9th grade ESL tutor (70 hours), Habitat for humanity volunteer (200 hours), middle school tutor and cafeteria volunteer (100 hours)
  11. Other employment: Seafood restaurant food server/cashier (450 hours)
  12. Other extracurricular activities: Sports marketing organization president (250 hours), Student government Executive board member (400 hours) , Recreational athletics (~4000 hours)
  13. Honors: A&S Honors program, Economics honors society, Eagle Scout
  14. I submitted my primary July 3rd. I think I have a strong PS, well written activities descriptions, and strong letters of rec.
Tentative list of schools: I know I am not a star candidate but I think I have a shot at an MD. My approach to my list was in-state schools, public schools that let in a good amount of out of state students, jesuit affiliated, schools that like students who have worked for a few years and like volunteer/leadership/clinical experience, schools that may weight my upward trend, MCAT and 4.0 post-bacc GPA more favorably and can try to look past my overall undergrad GPA, etc...

Let me know what you think of my list (still a work in progress- may have missed some good for OOS or new schools if any) and my chances. I am also planning on applying to a few DO schools (maybe 5?) but haven't thought about that as thoroughly yet. Schools are in no particular order.

1. State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
  2. State University of New York Upstate Medical University
  3. Stony Brook University School of Medicine
  4. Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
  5. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
  6. Boston University School of Medicine
  7. Creighton University School of Medicine
  8. Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
  9. Drexel University College of Medicine
  10. Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
  11. Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
  12. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
  13. Georgetown University School of Medicine
  14. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  15. New York Medical College
  16. Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
  17. Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
  18. Tufts University School of Medicine
  19. Tulane University School of Medicine
  20. University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
  21. Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
  22. Albany Medical College
  23. University of Vermont College of Medicine
  24. Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
  25. Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
  26. University of Massachusetts Medical School
  27. Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
  28. Wayne State University School of Medicine
  29. Medical College of Wisconsin
  30. Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
DO: havent researched very well, these are mainly based on location, but I would love some suggestions.

PCOM, NYIT-COM, UNECOM
Stats are lethal for MD but fine for DO. IF you're boning for the former, then an SMP or post-bac is in order.

Thank you very much for the feedback Faha and Goro.

I was thinking about adding Eastern Virginia, Cooper med at Rowan, Michigan state, and Toledo. Any thoughts?

I was thinking about getting rid of Western Michigan... any other suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help and all you've done for SDN.