MD School List Help! Non-trad veteran. 3.96 cGPA. 4.0sGPA. URM. 509 on AAMC FL 2 and 3.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillyxwabbit

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: I am not URM.
I just submitted my primary to one school, but I took the MCAT 2 June, so I'm still waiting on that to submit the rest. ANY assistance is deeply appreciated!

GPA: 3.96 cGPA 4.0sGPA
MCAT: My AAMC FLs were 508/509/509 so it has been pretty consistent but low.
5 years in the US Army. Most of that time was spent in leadership positions.
Submitted for disadvantaged applicant.
Sporadic volunteering over 600 hours with several organizations, including ARC and hospitals.
Over one year paid employment as an assistant to an ophthalmologist, preceded by three months of shadowing.
Very limited research under 100 hours: research proposal created, presented a poster to class, data collection.
Teaching Assistant for Biology and Chemistry 1 for one semester.
Medical Examiner and Funeral Home Transporter Employment 300~ hours.

My current school list: (FL Resident)

Mayo Clinic
Dartmouth
University of Florida
University of South Florida
Florida State
Florida International
University of Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
NOVA MD
George Washington
University of Vermont
Pennsylvania State
Creighton

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, does the fact that I just submitted my primary significantly hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope.

If you are not SDA or a very religious Christian, delete Loma Linda.

Thanks a lot @Goro for everything you do! I was too focused on stats, I'll need to further evaluate school missions. Do you recommend more lower stat or higher stat schools?

Last edited:
Hey man, please feel free to inbox me. Love helping other Vets, just appkied this last cycle and was wayyy more successful than I could have ever hoped. We have very similar stats, hit me up and I can be of more help privately

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. If OP is African-American or Native with a tribal card, then he's got absolutely superb chances, even at top 20s. Military vet + URM + disadvantaged is a powerful boost. Even two of those are quite powerful - he might want to look at throwing a few top 20s in there.

Hey man, please feel free to inbox me. Love helping other Vets, just appkied this last cycle and was wayyy more successful than I could have ever hoped. We have very similar stats, hit me up and I can be of more help privately
Thanks a lot for the support brother! I'm going to message you shortly. Congratulations on your success!

Agreed. If OP is African-American or Native with a tribal card, then he's got absolutely superb chances, even at top 20s. Military vet + URM + disadvantaged is a powerful boost. Even two of those are quite powerful - he might want to look at throwing a few top 20s in there.

Without a doubt. I only had 2 and similar stats as an ORM and got into 2 top 20s. OP reacg for the stars.

Thanks a lot for the support brother! I'm going to message you shortly. Congratulations on your success!

You are doing what I did, underestimating where you are competitive. I applied mostly mid/lower tier because of my MCAT. Had 2 reach schools and got unto them both. I say add several T20 schools.

You are doing what I did, underestimating where you are competitive. I applied mostly mid/lower tier because of my MCAT. Had 2 reach schools and got unto them both. I say add several T20 schools.
Yeah! that's exactly what my thought process was. I was going based off my LizzyM. It also doesn't help that I'm still waiting for my score lol.

Yeah thats what I did too. With you having the big 3 boosts...you should shoot above with several schools. Also remove WVU, I was like one of 2 OOS people not waitlisted. All others were. Only reason I got in was because I may be OOS but grew up in WV all my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah thats what I did too. With you having the big 3 boosts...you should shoot above with several schools. Also remove WVU, I was like one of 2 OOS people not waitlisted. All others were. Only reason I got in was because I may be OOS but grew up in WV all my life.
Removed! Thanks man.

Not all Hispanics are URM. Can you be more specific?
My apologies, I did not know. Would Hispanic-White fall into URM? (Parents are immigrants from Central America)

Nope. Spanish language skills are always appreciated, and veterans even more so.
Come back when you get your MCAT score and then we can properly advise.
I greatly appreciate your help. Will do!

Nope. Spanish language skills are always appreciated, and veterans even more so.
Come back when you get your MCAT score and then we can properly advise.
I guess I should ask, am I considered ORM then?

You are not considered ORM either. It is a weird gray area.

Note: if you are Hispanic and have shown service to this population it will increase your chances a bit even if you are not URM (not as much as if you were URM but a slight boost is a boost).

As it has been said here, it is very difficult to advise without an MCAT score. I am sure many will be happy to give their suggestions once you have the score. Word around SDN though is that when applying to schools as a Vet you could add 5 theoretical points to whatever your MCAT score is - when selecting which schools you are in range for.

Reactions: 1 users
You are not considered ORM either. It is a weird gray area.

Note: if you are Hispanic and have shown service to this population it will increase your chances a bit even if you are not URM (not as much as if you were URM but a slight boost is a boost).

As it has been said here, it is very difficult to advise without an MCAT score. I am sure many will be happy to give their suggestions once you have the score. Word around SDN though is that when applying to schools as a Vet you could add 5 theoretical points to whatever your MCAT score is - when selecting which schools you are in range for.
That's great news as I have volunteered and worked specifically for this population! Thank you for your input and I will update with my score in two weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd also say the disadvantaged status is worth at least a point or two on top of the vet boost; if the OP gets a 510 or better he should throw a few top 20s into his mix.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I just got my MCAT score. It's a 507. I'm not very happy at all as you can imagine, but I hope to still get advice on my school list!

I will definitely still include all state schools (FL) but due to the weird combo of my GPA, background, and MCAT, I feel stuck on what other schools to apply to.

Please help! @Goro @MarineMDHopeful @Faha @gyngyn @LizzyM

Your list is fine. Your MCAT was two points less than your best practice test so what were you expecting. Do give yourself 5 points for military service which is like having a 512... not going to get you into the top 20 schools but fine for the list you have. You might add four more private schools that resonate with your interests, maybe the Jesuit schools, Tulane, and add a dream school (unless that's Mayo...which is already on your list).

Reactions: 2 users
Your list is fine. Your MCAT was two points less than your best practice test so what were you expecting. Do give yourself 5 points for military service which is like having a 512... not going to get you into the top 20 schools but fine for the list you have. You might add four more private schools that resonate with your interests, maybe the Jesuit schools, Tulane, and add a dream school (unless that's Mayo...which is already on your list).
Yeah, totally understand. Thanks for the advice @LizzyM !

Yeah. I agree with @LizzyM your two "reaches" with Mayo and Dartmouth both love and value veterans. Others on your list are still target schools

You can add Miami and South Florida to your original list. You could also add these schools:
Georgetown
Einstein
Loyola
St. Louis
Tulane

You can add Miami and South Florida to your original list. You could also add these schools:
Georgetown
Einstein
Loyola
St. Louis
Tulane
Great! I'm not sure why I didn't consider these, especially since Georgetown seems to fit my profile perfectly. Thank you! @Faha

Great! I'm not sure why I didn't consider these, especially since Georgetown seems to fit my profile perfectly. Thank you! @Faha
I suggest the following:

BU (maybe)
Ohio State (maybe)
Hofstra
U Toledo
U IA
U VM
Pitt (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein (maybe)
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Wayne State
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Seton Hall
ALL FL state schools
Nova MD
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

I suggest the following:

BU (maybe)
Ohio State (maybe)
Hofstra
U Toledo
U IA
U VM
Pitt (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein (maybe)
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Wayne State
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Seton Hall
ALL FL state schools
Nova MD
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
Fantastic list, will look into each @Goro thank you! and Larry Nassar :inpain: not good news at all lol