MD & DO School list help. Mexican-American 520 MCAT low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xochitl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
n

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't need a DO list.
You may delete all OOS schools that you do not prefer to CA schools.
Delete Northstate.

Okay so people say to aim for schools where you are above the 10th percentile but my GPA puts me out of most schools bottom 10th percentile. Which is why I am applying DO @gyngyn

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so people say to aim for schools where you are above the 10th percentile but my GPA puts me out of most schools bottom 10th percentile. Which is why I am applying DO

I think as a URM with a 520 this advice is less applicable to you.

Reactions: 2 users
do you think I have a chance of getting accepted to a CA MD school?

Last edited:
Hey @xochitl - congrats on getting to the point of applying! I know it's a long journey, especially for those of us who are non-traditional.

So I will start by saying I've been out of the game for a bit now so I don't know anything about the new MCAT but from what I can tell from a quick Google - a 520 is pretty great, 97th percentile or something of the like.

So what I would say is that with a strong upward trend + high MCAT score - you're looking at a pretty strong application. Schools will give you the benefit of the doubt because you have obviously proven yourself academically capable a this point. Did you only take the MCAT the one time? And is the 4.0 post-bacc factored into your overall GPA or did it count as grad courses?

I think you can spin a really nice story with your background in rural health and doing agricultural work, etc.

If it were me, my list would probably look like this:

1. UCSF Prime
2. UCLA Prime
3. UCLA Drew
4. UCD Prime (especially since they have the Rural-PRIME)
5. UCSD Prime
6. Stanford (I know you said no before but I don't know if that's because you have a vendetta against them or don't think you'd be successful, but if it's the latter I think you'll be surprised)
7. USC
8. Wisconsin (they have a lot of rural medicine and put an emphasis on it + they are always trying to recruit out of state URM students)
9. UNC (strong rural health program, most of their rural clinics are primarily Spanish speaking as well - you'd be a strong asset here)
10. Loyola (good school with a strong social mission, also one of the only med schools that takes undocumented students, so they are all about helping the underserved)
11. UIC (one of the largest minority med school populations and deals a lot with Spanish speaking patients on the west side of Chicago)
12. University of Chicago (Pritzker) - Because I'm biased and I know they'd love you lol
13. Michigan (strong rural track as well)
14. University of Washington (they are notoriously difficult for out of state students, but they also do A LOT of rural health stuff because they are the medical school for Washington, Alaska, Wyoming, Idaho, etc)
15. Any other reach/dream school you can think of - I really think that you will get accepted to AT LEAST 1 of these first 14 programs, so if you want to go ahead and throw a dart at Harvard, Hopkins, Yale, etc - go for it.

*Basically, I would apply to most of the top California schools and some select out of state - I don't think you need the typical lower tier MD and DO schools that people with lower GPAs tend to lean on. IMO Albany, Cooper, etc are a waste of your time.

The key to your application IMO is the emphasis on rural health and your background. Really try and emphasize how this all links up in your primary app (which I'm sure you've already submitted) and then additionally try and expand upon it in your secondary essays. You have a really strong chance, especially targeting schools that put an emphasis on rural health, migrant/immigrant health, and diversity.

TL;DR Don't sell yourself short

Reactions: 1 user
14. University of Washington (they are notoriously difficult for out of state students, but they also do A LOT of rural health stuff because they are the medical school for Washington, Alaska, Wyoming, Idaho, etc)

The rest of your advised list sounds good. UWash would be a waste of an app unless somehow UWash has too few Hispanic WWAMI apps. The WWAMI states provide enough rural health students that they don't need to accept a Calif student. When you look at UWash's numbers, outside of WWAMI students, they matriculated about 5-7 out-of-region (non WWAMI, non MD/PhD) students out of about 7200 OOS apps. I can only imagine the hook those must have had.

Last edited:
Okay so people say to aim for schools where you are above the 10th percentile but my GPA puts me out of most schools bottom 10th percentile. Which is why I am applying DO @gyngyn
You are in the top 1% of applicants from an extraordinarily under-represented group.
You can apply to the most competitive schools in the country.
You need only apply to DO schools if you prefer them to MD

cGPA 3.28 which includes a postbac (4.0) sGPA 3.3. I have an upward trend as well

You do not need to consider going abroad (your post in another thread). Take off the OOS publics.

Your 3.28 and 3.33 averages include your postbac

Have you submitted yet? If not, you probably don't need any of the OOS publics on your list. Why not include Stanford. If I were you, I'd include some top schools that might offer you some big merit awards. Vandy, Northwestern, WashUStLouis, etc. I believe that Vandy is wanting more non-Cuban Hispanic applicants.

The rest of your advised list sounds good. UWash would be a waste of an app unless somehow UWash has too few Hispanic WWAMI hispanic apps. the WWAMI states provide enough rural health students that they don't need to accept a Calif student. When you look at UWash's numbers, outside of WWAMI students, they matriculated about 5-7 out-of-region (non WWAMI, non MD/PhD) students out of about 7200 OOS apps. I can only imagine the hook those must have had.

Fair enough - I'm basing it off of an n=1 from a girl I met while doing research abroad a few years back who happened to be one of those 5-7 students, I guess!

Hey @xochitl - congrats on getting to the point of applying! I know it's a long journey, especially for those of us who are non-traditional.

So I will start by saying I've been out of the game for a bit now so I don't know anything about the new MCAT but from what I can tell from a quick Google - a 520 is pretty great, 97th percentile or something of the like.

So what I would say is that with a strong upward trend + high MCAT score - you're looking at a pretty strong application. Schools will give you the benefit of the doubt because you have obviously proven yourself academically capable a this point. Did you only take the MCAT the one time? And is the 4.0 post-bacc factored into your overall GPA or did it count as grad courses?

I think you can spin a really nice story with your background in rural health and doing agricultural work, etc.

If it were me, my list would probably look like this:

1. UCSF Prime
2. UCLA Prime
3. UCLA Drew
4. UCD Prime (especially since they have the Rural-PRIME)
5. UCSD Prime
6. Stanford (I know you said no before but I don't know if that's because you have a vendetta against them or don't think you'd be successful, but if it's the latter I think you'll be surprised)
7. USC
8. Wisconsin (they have a lot of rural medicine and put an emphasis on it + they are always trying to recruit out of state URM students)
9. UNC (strong rural health program, most of their rural clinics are primarily Spanish speaking as well - you'd be a strong asset here)
10. Loyola (good school with a strong social mission, also one of the only med schools that takes undocumented students, so they are all about helping the underserved)
11. UIC (one of the largest minority med school populations and deals a lot with Spanish speaking patients on the west side of Chicago)
12. University of Chicago (Pritzker) - Because I'm biased and I know they'd love you lol
13. Michigan (strong rural track as well)
15. Any other reach/dream school you can think of - I really think that you will get accepted to AT LEAST 1 of these first 14 programs, so if you want to go ahead and throw a dart at Harvard, Hopkins, Yale, etc - go for it.

*Basically, I would apply to most of the top California schools and some select out of state - I don't think you need the typical lower tier MD and DO schools that people with lower GPAs tend to lean on. IMO Albany, Cooper, etc are a waste of your time.

The key to your application IMO is the emphasis on rural health and your background. Really try and emphasize how this all links up in your primary app (which I'm sure you've already submitted) and then additionally try and expand upon it in your secondary essays. You have a really strong chance, especially targeting schools that put an emphasis on rural health, migrant/immigrant health, and diversity.

TL;DR Don't sell yourself short

Hey thank you so much for the response. Yeah the post-bacc is factored into my gpa and I only took the MCAT once. Unfortunately I did not want to apply without my MCAT score so I held off on submitting my primary app but will be submitting it today. I got my score yesterday. Hopefully its not late. I read that it should be about average. I did try to mention my love for rural Amercia any chance I could as that is my main inspiration. Thank you for the list help btw i didn't add Stanford because I just didn't think I had a chance. Even now its a long shot but its worth a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need to consider going abroad (your post in another thread). Take off the OOS publics.

Your 3.28 and 3.33 averages include your postbac

Have you submitted yet? If not, you probably don't need any of the OOS publics on your list. Why not include Stanford. If I were you, I'd include some top schools that might offer you some big merit awards. Vandy, Northwestern, WashUStLouis, etc. I believe that Vandy is wanting more non-Cuban Hispanic applicants.

Thanks for the help. I will look into vandy and honestly I was just intimidated after looking at NorthWestern/WashUstlouis accepted data. I have always been on the safe side and i had a couple friends(non-urm) have good stats and not even receive interviews so I am a bit worried about that so i might still include some low tier schools and still apply DO as I dont want to wait another year in case I do not get accepted MD

I suggest, of the list:

UC irvine
UCLA PRIME
UCSD PRIME
UCD PRIME
charles drew
USC
UCR
UCI
UCSF
Stanford
Harvard
University of Chicago (pritzker)
NYU
Duke
Columbia
Cornell
Michigan
Loyola
hofstra
tufts
GWU
georgetown
wayne state
BOSTON UNIVERSITY
Einstein
Dartmouth

Hey what do you think of my new list, I feel it is a bit too top heavy and I want to cut it down to about 28 schools. Also my lack of research (only have one year) is making me nervous. @Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM

UC irvine
UCLA PRIME
UCSD PRIME
UCD PRIME
charles drew
USC
UCR
UCI

Reaches
UCSF
Stanford
Harvard
NYU
Duke
Columbia
Cornell

UNC
Michigan
Albany Medical College
Cooper Medical School
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush Medical College
Temple
western michigan
University of illinois
U of Minn
hofstra
tufts
GWU
georgetown
wayne state
BOSTON UNIVERSITY
Oakland Beaumont
Einstein
Dartmouth
It's way too long.
Do you really prefer all those OOS schools to your IS schools?

It's way too long.
Do you really prefer all those OOS schools to your IS schools?

So I cut it down to 25 schools. No I don't, I have heard a lot of horror stories of people getting no acceptances and I do not want that to be me.

UC irvine
UCLA PRIME
UCSD PRIME
UCD PRIME
charles drew
USC
UCR
UCI
UCSF
Stanford
Harvard
NYU
Duke
Columbia
Cornell
Michigan
Loyola
hofstra
tufts
GWU
georgetown
BOSTON UNIVERSITY
Einstein
Dartmouth

So I cut it down to 25 schools. No I don't, I have heard a lot of horror stories of people getting no acceptances and I do not want that to be me.

UC irvine
UCLA PRIME
UCSD PRIME
UCD PRIME
charles drew
USC
UCR
UCI
UCSF
Stanford
Harvard
NYU
Duke
Columbia
Cornell
Michigan
Loyola
hofstra
tufts
GWU
georgetown
BOSTON UNIVERSITY
Einstein
Dartmouth
This list is looking better.
The only thing that could keep you out are multiple spectacularly weak interviews.

Hey @gyngyn im just wondering if applying to the UCs as normal MD as opposed to Prime will severely hurt my chances....received secondary from UCLA and UCR only so far as normal MD.

also if i want to apply prime do i check md/graduate and then select MPH? most websites are not clear on this

especially UCSF they have an option to check md/graduate but next to it says that you can select this option once you receive secondary (which i havent)

Hey @gyngyn im just wondering if applying to the UCs as normal MD as opposed to Prime will severely hurt my chances....received secondary from UCLA and UCR only so far as normal MD.

also if i want to apply prime do i check md/graduate and then select MPH? most websites are not clear on this

especially UCSF they have an option to check md/graduate but next to it says that you can select this option once you receive secondary (which i havent)
You will not be disadvantaged.

I can't wait to see you get into most of those reaches! You're an excellent applicant.

Hey @Goro you think you could help me compile a DO list? haven't had much luck with MD II so far only have 2 and one has already resulted in waitlist so im obviously nervous. so far I have
ATSU-SOMA
Touro-CA
LECOM

only looking to apply to 5-7

Hey @Goro you think you could help me compile a DO list? haven't had much luck with MD II so far only have 2 and one has already resulted in waitlist so im obviously nervous. so far I have
ATSU-SOMA
Touro-CA
LECOM

only looking to apply to 5-7
I'm surprised that you not having much luck with your state schools. Suggest adding:
AZCOM
PacNW
Western
KCU
TUNCOM
CCOM
PCOM

I'm surprised that you not having much luck with your state schools. Suggest adding:
AZCOM
PacNW
Western
KCU
TUNCOM
CCOM
PCOM
yeah I know the only CA school to offer me an interview was USC and i was waitlisted so :shrug: thanks for the help.