School List Help: 3.92/508, MO and KS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holycannolis

Reaction score
  • State of Residence: MO
  • Ties to other States/Regions: Undergrad and strong ties to KS, family in IL but might not be considered a strong tie
  • URM?: N
  • Year in School: Junior
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): BA in Molecular, Cellular & Developmental Bio, psych minor
  • Graduate Degrees (if applicable): NA
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.92
  • Science GPA: 3.92
  • MCAT Score(s): 508 (126/128/128/126)
  • Research Experience: 240 hours in a biochem lab when I was a freshman, 1250 hours in a clinical psych lab that I joined as a sophomore
    • Lots of experience with coding in R
    • Helped with an NIH-funded R01 clinical trial
    • Currently doing an independent project through a program funded by the NIH, and my research connects to the narrative I'm trying to build throughout my application
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.):
    • First author abstract, poster will be presented in November after I have applied
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 300 hours free clinic volunteering, 75 hours volunteering doing bp screenings at a homeless shelter
  • Physician Shadowing: 100 hours virtual shadowing, trying so hard to get in-person ASAP
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: 120 hours at a community garden, 100 hours doing various projects with a club
  • Other Extracurricular Activities:
    • President of a prehealth club
    • President and founder of a club that provides bp screenings and health information at the local homeless shelter
    • When I don't have room in my schedule for French or Spanish classes, I keep working on it in my free time
      • Advanced French, good to intermediate Spanish
    • I grow a small vegetable balcony garden at my apartment each summer that I'm really proud of
  • Other Employment History: 1300 hours chem TA, 1500 hours front desk assistant at my school's dorms
  • Immediate family members in medicine?: N
  • Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Primary care, psychiatry, neurology, cardiology
    • Not 100% set on any one of these but they are my interests and do fit with my personal statement and some of my experiences
  • Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Y
  • Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Y
  • Medical School List: Wanting to stay in Midwest if possible! Trying to branch out to other areas and schools that I would be happy at to increase my chances. I have a list of DO schools I will apply to but want help with MDs.
    • Mizzou
    • Kansas
    • SLU
    • Rush
    • Toledo
    • Oakland
    • George Washington
    • Vermont
    • Indiana
    • Illinois
    • Iowa
    • Drexel
    • Eastern Virginia
    • Loyola
    • Northeast Ohio
    • Colorado
    • Utah
    • Wake Forest
    • Wayne State
    • Georgetown
    • Michigan
    • Western Michigan
    • Creighton
    • Case Western
    • Cincinnati
    • MCW
    • Temple
    • Hackensack Meridian
    • SUNY Upstate
    • Virginia Commonwealth
    • Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad.

You have schools that don’t tend to take applicants from out of the state without ties (Utah, Neomed, Upstate) or would be donations as you are far below their median stats. You also don’t have much community service, especially to those less fortunate. So schools such as Rush and Loyola aren’t the best fit. Try the following instead:

Mizzou
Kansas
SLU
Oakland
George Washington
Vermont
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Georgetown
Creighton
MCW
Temple
Hackensack Meridian
Virginia Commonwealth
Rosalind Franklin
Nova MD
Quinnipiac
Albany
NYMC
TCU (maybe)

For DO, apply to Oklahoma State if it wasn’t already on your list. You have good chances at KCU, KCOM and other DO schools and could receive MD interviews (more likely at Missouri schools or Kansas vs the rest).

Do not apply without shadowing. You should get 50 or more in-person hours.