School list for applicant worried about loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lumpsnotforsale

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I've been sorting out my list of schools to apply to and I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Quick facts about me:
California resident, probably want to practice in California as well.
I'm not sure if I'd like to specialize but I'd definitely like to keep that option open (perio and OMFS both seem cool).
GPA ~3.94, DAT 24/24/24
My ECs are pretty solid, and I have ~200 hours of shadowing at general dental practices. I did a decent amount of research in 2013, but I'm a little worried that the fact that I haven't done any in the last 5 years might hurt me for the more research-oriented universities.

I'm concerned about debt, will very likely apply for a military scholarship, and am also interested in applying OOS schools that offer in-state tuition after 1 year.
List so far:
UCSF
UCLA
UOP
Ohio State
Harvard
UPenn
Columbia
UConn
UFlorida
USC
Tufts

Should I add anyone or take anyone off?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe UF is not OOS friendly. I would remove this one.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're concerned about debt, I might cross Penn and Tufts off your list. Those are some of the most expensive dental schools...

You should also consider applying for the NHSC scholarship.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're worried about loans then apply in state and look into schools that offer in-state tuition after 1st year. I know at least 6 schools on your list will run you over 400k.

UNLV and Maryland give you IS tuition after one year

"School list for applicant worried about loans".....
*List includes*
UPenn
USC
Columbia
UOP
Tufts

Reactions: 1 user
I’d keep Penn. With those stats you have a great chance at a merit scholarship.

"School list for applicant worried about loans".....
*List includes*
UPenn
USC
Columbia
UOP
Tufts

I should clarify: the private schools on my list would only be if I'm able to get the HPSP scholarship.