School List Advice (3.65 and 30P)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shouraisei

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated University of Michigan - Ann Arbor with 3.655 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA (Neuroscience major and Medical Anthropology minor)
30P MCAT (10/10/10)
3 years lab research (pancreas development) with no pubs
2 years volunteering at hospital and a free clinic (will continue during year off)
2 years tutoring which involves quite a bit of leadership (continuing)
40 hours total shadowing with an endocrinologist, colorectal surgeon, family medicine and primary care physician (will continue, possible clinical research with endocrinologist)

Schools in no particular order:

Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland
Central Michigan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Toledo
Wright State
Indiana
Penn State
Drexel
Jefferson
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
University of Minnesota (Twin Cities)
Mayo
Medical College of Wisconsin
NYMC
Tufts
West Virginia

I am also applying DO but so far only have MSU-COM on my list. Any advice about my MD list and more DO schools would be awesome. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Graduated University of Michigan - Ann Arbor with 3.655 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA (Neuroscience major and Medical Anthropology minor)
30P MCAT (10/10/10)
2 years volunteering at hospital and a free clinic (will continue during year off)
40 hours total shadowing with an endocrinologist, colorectal surgeon, family medicine and primary care physician (will continue, possible clinical research with endocrinologist)

Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland
Central Michigan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Toledo
Wright State
Indiana
Penn State
Drexel
Jefferson
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Hofstra
NYMC
Creighton
West Virginia

I am also applying DO but so far only have MSU-COM on my list. Any advice about my MD list and more DO schools would be awesome. :)

See bolded. I do not know for DO school, AT Still?

30P MCAT (10/10/10)

Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland
Central Michigan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Toledo
Wright State
Indiana
Penn State
Drexel
Jefferson
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Mayo
NYMC
Tufts
West Virginia

Ohio State and Mayo are reachy for you, but that's OK if you want to take a shot anyway. Indiana and WVirginia will ask you about your strong state ties. Loyola will want to see substantial service to the poor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your suggestions, alexrgross. They seem like good schools for me to apply to.

Catalystik, thank you for your honesty. I think a lot of the schools I'm applying to might be reaches for me because of the low MCAT so I'm looking for more schools I have better chances at. For Loyola, is volunteering at a free clinic enough? I have 200+ hours and am continuing during my year off. I'm also looking into volunteering in some literacy programs or abroad during my time off.

Catalystik, thank you for your honesty. I think a lot of the schools I'm applying to might be reaches for me because of the low MCAT so I'm looking for more schools I have better chances at. For Loyola, is volunteering at a free clinic enough? I have 200+ hours and am continuing during my year off. I'm also looking into volunteering in some literacy programs or abroad during my time off.
If that 200+ hours represents a year of involvement, I'm not sure that would be considered as "substantial" in demonstrating your dedication to humanistic ideals. It's certainly more than fine for clinical experience, however.

Future plans for more service aren't going to win you points, but letting schools know after you've been involved for awhile, eg via update letters, may help.

The 200+ hours is over 2 years and I will be continuing in my year off. Thank you very much for the advice about update letters :)