School in candidacy stage vs $$$ school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ss1817

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard time and time again on this forum to go with the cheaper school however I have recently found myself in an interesting situation. Back in January I was accepted to a school (School A) that is in their candidacy stage of accreditation. While the lack of accreditation was a bit of a drawback I have been very excited to attend. The faculty was knowledgeable and welcoming, the facility is brand new and state of the art, and the school is located in a part of the US where cost of living is very affordable. The school is slated to be accredited by the time I complete my first year.

I was accepted to School B last week off of their waitlist. They are an established program. They too had a great faculty, a lot of community involvement, and good facilities. I left interview day feeling very excited about the program. However, the tuition is expensive and the cost of living in this area is very high. On the flip side there are a lot more job opportunities in this area for my boyfriend who will be moving with me and helping to support us.

I am feeling very torn about which school to choose and only have til Thursday to decide. The biggest concerns for me are accreditation, cost of living, and job opportunities. Does anyone have any insight to share or has anyone been in a similar situation? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I chose the canidacy school due to the price. But it comes down to your choice since you have more factors than I had.

What is school A accreditation history? Is it a new DPT program or have they been around for a little while? Knowing those answers can provide some assurance on their credibility. If they have been around for a while, check their graduate rate or board passing rate. I go to a really expensive school and live in an expensive city so if I had the choice I would go to the cheapest school. It's refreshing to have a significant other that is willing to move no matter where you end up. Huge load off your shoulder.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is school A accreditation history? Is it a new DPT program or have they been around for a little while? Knowing those answers can provide some assurance on their credibility. If they have been around for a while, check their graduate rate or board passing rate. I go to a really expensive school and live in an expensive city so if I had the choice I would go to the cheapest school. It's refreshing to have a significant other that is willing to move no matter where you end up. Huge load off your shoulder.
School A's DPT program is newer... I would be part of the third DPT class in the program history. There is no data as far as graduation or board pass rates yet as they have not graduated a DPT class yet. They do, however, have a PA program that his been around since 1996 and was recently given the green light to begin accepting their inaugural class for a new OTD program. I am very lucky that he is willing to make the move so that I can pursue my dreams. At the same time I want to make sure he will be able to find work as he will be graduating this week and starting his career.

School A's DPT program is newer... I would be part of the third DPT class in the program history. There is no data as far as graduation or board pass rates yet as they have not graduated a DPT class yet. They do, however, have a PA program that his been around since 1996 and was recently given the green light to begin accepting their inaugural class for a new OTD program. I am very lucky that he is willing to make the move so that I can pursue my dreams. At the same time I want to make sure he will be able to find work as he will be graduating this week and starting his career.
PA program since 1966, that's a good track record. If they got the green light for OTD then I have faith in the new PT program. Save as much money as you can. Student loans really impact your lifestyle after you graduate.