School decision help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gold_Toof

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to several schools and have narrowed it down to Tufts and UCSF (unless I get off UF waitlist). I have a feeling everyone will rush to say UCSF but first let me give some background information. UCSF tuition is approx $90,000 cheaper which is significant but so is the cost of living. After using the living stipends provided by each school as a relative comparison Boston is roughly 20-25,ooo cheaper over four years.

Both are great cities and I would happy living in both places for four years. Boston is easier to get to and from home (FL) and personally, I feel like I will relate to people better there, but San Fran has great weather, beach, outdoors which I value. From what I've gathered both have their pros and cons when it comes to clinical training so I consider that a wash.

While I know UCSF has a better reputation, I've talked to a local dentist in my area who is a Tufts graduate and was very surprised when he said he gets new patients weekly because he advertises he went to Tufts. SW FL has a large population of retired former NE residents, and thus a Tufts degree wouldn't correlate to increased business in most parts of the country but it does for this area.

I know I may seem biased in favor of Tufts, but that is not the case. I've always been a proponent of going to the cheaper school, but it becomes hard to quantify certain aspects (enjoyment, location, future networking/business) to a monetary value (in this case ~$70,000).

Not sure about specializing yet. As of now I picture myself going into GD, but not ready to rule out specializing.

Sorry for the long post but any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts. Clinically, they are beasts. Both are prestigious schools but I'm biased. Relatives went there and all of them are doing extremely well.

Fact of the matter is that patients, for better or for worse, believe that the name of the school matters with regard to dentistry. So, patients may flock to a Tufts graduate as opposed to a VCU/howard/nova, etc. graduate.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Fact of the matter is that patients, for better or for worse, believe that the name of the school matters with regard to dentistry. So, patients may flock to a Tufts graduate as opposed to a VCU/howard/nova, etc. graduate.
???

Reactions: 5 users

Lol! Thanks for that chuckle

Reactions: 1 user
If the cost works out to be similar for you, go where you feel comfortable spending your next 4 years. UCSF makes specializing a bit easier with their reputation and P/F curriculum, while Tufts is letter-graded.

Tufts has a slight lean on some intangibles but is it worth the extra $....:shrug:

I appreciate your insight. I know I'd be happy in San Fran as well, it's a great city so I guess I'll just have to do some soul searching

Last edited: