School A vs School B. Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school to attend?

• School A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • School B

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

daehanminguk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm hoping the community can weigh in on this.

School A and B are $21,000 per semester. I would be paying out of state tuition in both cases.

School A is newer, NAPLEX pass rate is 82%, class size is small (80 students), 16-17 students placed in residencies last year, rotations can be done in and outside of state, getting to hospitals and pharmacies for work require bus or car, 87% retention rate. Housing is not an issue for me during fourth year since I live here (Relocation required but within state). Requires 4 years. Systems based curriculum. Accredited

School B is old, NAPLEX pass rate is 92%, class size is large (150), 59 students placed in residencies last year, rotations are in state only, hospitals are very close, can walk to them, 94% retention rate. Would need housing throughout pharmacy school (Relocation out of state required to attend school). Requires 4 years. Systems based curriculum. Accredited

Any advice or insight you might be able to provide is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You’ve labeled tuition as a factor, but what about cost of living in each area? Is it so different that your housing situation will offset overall housing cost of the other institute?

Sounds like your leaning toward residency. Based on ratio of residency and NAPLEX pass rate School B is a more solid and better established institute.

If the cost is negligible ( +/- 10k) School B. In the end, total out-of-pocket cost + NAPLEX pass rate (consistently above 80% pass rate) will be the one you attend. It’s a saturated field so brand name of program won’t take you far (just your GPA + leadership involvement to gain a PGY-1).

Reactions: 1 user
You’ve labeled tuition as a factor, but what about cost of living in each area? Is it so different that your housing situation will offset overall housing cost of the other institute?

Sounds like your leaning toward residency. Based on ratio of residency and NAPLEX pass rate School B is a more solid and better established institute.

If the cost is negligible ( +/- 10k) School B. In the end, total out-of-pocket cost + NAPLEX pass rate (consistently above 80% pass rate) will be the one you attend. It’s a saturated field so brand name of program won’t take you far (just your GPA + leadership involvement to gain a PGY-1).

Thanks a ton! I appreciate it! For cost of living near School A, I would be paying $500 a month alone. Otherwise, with two other housemates, we would split the $500 each month. At School B, it would be $900 a month, and if I live with other housemates, would also be split. School B would be more expensive in that regard.

Last edited:
Why don't you just tell us the names of the schools and we can give better recommendations?

Reactions: 1 user