Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

screamineagle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone-

Just wondering if any of you have any info regarding scholarships? Thanks!!

Renee
TUCOM class of 2007 :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have info regarding the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program and the Navy Health Professional Scholarship Program.... I got accepted to both, but chose the NHSC for personal reasons.... ask away.... :cool: I'll try and answer them to the best of my ability, but I'm sure there are others out here that can help you....

Popoy...I have a similar interest in NHSC with some questions if you don't mind:

>Are you currently on scholarship for 2, 3, or 4 years?

>How extensive is the application process ie. letters of rec, personal
state, gpa, mcat, ...?

>Are chances good for securing a job after completing your obligation if
you wish to stay on?

>How much is the monthly stipend while in school?

>At what point in time do you choose your site and what are the chances
of securing a first choice?

>If I am not granted a scholarship for service, can I still apply for
the loan repayment program?

>From what I've found on the NHSC website, its a bit unclear as to how
the sites are assigned, first come first serve, the postings seem to be
continuously updated etc._ If you do not get a prefered site, can you
wait until another opens up?

>I know this is quite a bit but thanks for any feedback. Hope classes
are going well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Popoy,
Can you email me privately so I can ask you a couple of questions about the NHSC? I am a first year at TCOM applying for a 3 year scholarship right now. Thx.

Matt

>Are you currently on scholarship for 2, 3, or 4 years?

I'm currently a 4 year scholarship recipient. If you want to have the 4 year make sure to apply the year you're applying to medical school.... If you are planning on attending med school this coming fall, apply this year... due date is March 2003.

>How extensive is the application process ie. letters of rec, personal state, gpa, mcat, ...?

It is not based on GPA, MCAT, State. It is based on your profile as to whether or not you're the type of person they want to have... you'll understand once you get an application. It's about 10-15 page "bubble in"/multiple choice kind of application.

>Are chances good for securing a job after completing your obligation if you wish to stay on?

There's always HPSA (Health Professional Shortage Area), thus the answer to your question is YES.... There's always a job and the NHSC would love it if you continue on with that site.

>How much is the monthly stipend while in school?

I opted for them to take away all taxes.... thus it started out at approx $800 per month. But it goes up.... I think the reason is you're considered as a commissioned officer of the US Public Health Service.... Though, you're really not (you have the option later to be a uniformed officer - I think only 8% of scholars to this). Currently my stipend is a little over $1000 per month. This is after taxes are taken out.

Also remember that they pay for your entire tuition PLUS you get a lump sum of money around Oct/Nov depending on what your financial aid office estimates would be your cost for the year.... which includes books, OMM table, boards, etc ("other reasonable cost")

>At what point in time do you choose your site and what are the chances of securing a first choice?

You choose your site after your residency. Although I was told that typically you end up serving at the state to which you did your residency at.... But this does not limit you to which site to go. It just gives you preference for that state first before everyone else (or so I'm told). As for securing a first choice, that's up to you. You will be receiving a list of sites after residency and then YOU call up the site and negotiate YOUR salary.

>If I am not granted a scholarship for service, can I still apply for
the loan repayment program?

Yes you can still apply for the loan repayment program.... Remember, you don't get everything paid for with the loan repayment program.... just a portion with a contracted amount of year to serve.

>From what I've found on the NHSC website, its a bit unclear as to how the sites are assigned, first come first serve, the postings seem to be continuously updated etc._ If you do not get a prefered site, can you wait until another opens up?

Unfortunately, I don't think you can.... once you're done with residency you have to serve at an open HPSA. I may be wrong.... The reason it's unclear how the sites are assigned is because there's rules and laws governing how areas can be designated as Health Professional Shortage Areas.... As far as I was told most people get what they want....

>I know this is quite a bit but thanks for any feedback. Hope classes are going well.

You're welcome.... classes are going and going at a fast pace specially with boards coming up.... ;)

Just ask more and I'll do my best to answer them or clarify anything I stated above.

Later,
:cool:

Hey!
I haven't done research into NHSC myself, so you'd have to look this up to confirm it. At one of my interviews, the financial aid speaker told us to make sure we were absolutely positive we did not want to specialize (i think there are only 3, or another limited number, types of residencies you can choose with this scholarhip). If you change your mind and decide to enter a residency outside the allowed choices, you have to pay back all the $ they gave you at an interest rate of 18% :eek:

When did you find out you were selected for the NHSC? I sent my application in and am waiting to see if I get an interview. Can you give us a timeline of when you were notified about your interview and when you were notified that you got the scholarship?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Zippy

Originally posted by abw
Hey!
I haven't done research into NHSC myself, so you'd have to look this up to confirm it. At one of my interviews, the financial aid speaker told us to make sure we were absolutely positive we did not want to specialize (i think there are only 3, or another limited number, types of residencies you can choose with this scholarhip). If you change your mind and decide to enter a residency outside the allowed choices, you have to pay back all the $ they gave you at an interest rate of 18% :eek:

Residencies: IM, FP, Peds, OB/Gyn, or Psych.

You can specialize after serving your time.... what most people do.

Yes, if you decide not to go into one of the above residencies then you are penalized 3 times the amount lent to you thus far with interest.... It scares a lot of people.... but it is part of the weeding out process.... :cool:

Originally posted by DrZippy2b
When did you find out you were selected for the NHSC? I sent my application in and am waiting to see if I get an interview. Can you give us a timeline of when you were notified about your interview and when you were notified that you got the scholarship?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Zippy

You may want to try and do a search in the forums.... I had a very elaborate detailed timeline I posted last year.

But here's what I can remember....

January: Turned in app
March/April: Invite for interview on May/June/July
May: Interview in San Francisco
August: Receive confirmation of acceptance
Sept: Turned in Acceptance
Oct/Nov: First stipend from July-Nov approx $4000-5000
Then the rest is history....

I hope that's enough of an idea for you.... otherwise try and search the forums under NHSC.... and hopefully you'll stumble upon my more detailed time line.

Good luck to you, :cool:

There's always pros and cons to any scholarship.... specially when it comes to choosing between NHSC and the HPSP.... So the best advice is chose the one that best suits your future plans.

Popoy (since you seem to be the expert!),
How does it work with the scholarship since you don't find out until August and don't receive the stipends until the Fall? Did you go ahead and take out loans during the summer to pay your first semester tuition and then turn back around and repay those loans? I'm wondering how the timing of the money works out....

Thanks for all the info...it's VERY helpful and appreciated!

Can you guys post the websites for these two?

Are there any other websites out there for scholarship info?

Would Emergency Medicine be considered specializing?

Originally posted by supergirl71720
Popoy (since you seem to be the expert!),
How does it work with the scholarship since you don't find out until August and don't receive the stipends until the Fall? Did you go ahead and take out loans during the summer to pay your first semester tuition and then turn back around and repay those loans? I'm wondering how the timing of the money works out....

Thanks for all the info...it's VERY helpful and appreciated!
I don't claim to be an expert, but am simply sharing my experience.

Yes, you do have to take out loans in the event that you do or do not get the scholarship. Schools are aware of this and they will do things accordingly.... you are left to pay for interest. I only paid roughly $5-600 for the interest of my loans.... As soon as I got the scholarship notification, I had enough mula to pay off the loans I signed up for....