Scholarship Recommendation Letter Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizzaboy4222

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked a lab prof for a recommendation 3 weeks before the deadline. After the deadline, I gave her a thankyou letter.

However, after emailing the scholarship committee, they mentioned how they never received an email from the prof. I feel betrayed; the prof even admitted to writing the letter even when she did not and even after thanking her for it. What do I do?

I thought about having the scholarship email a reminder email to the prof but then again they do not have recommenders emails on file bc LORs are optional.

Members don't see this ad.

You take this as a learned lesson to always have a Plan B. And don't ask her again for another LOR in the future for anything. Find someone else.

And as the Disney Ice Princess said, "Let it go."

Reactions: 1 user
Don't feel betrayed just yet. Very likely an honest mistake such as the professor writing but forgetting to submit the letter or the scholarship committee losing it. Tell the professor that the scholarship committee never received it and see what they say.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do feel kind of betrayed still bc when i gave her the ty gift like 6 days ago, she physically told me she wrote it. I would imagine hat she may have forgot but its been 6 days now after and the committee hasnt received it. Is it okay to email the committee for a reminder email to the prof?

Your professor said they WROTE the letter (I'd say there's a >95% chance they did). My guess is that they forgot to SUBMIT it--maybe even typed up the email but forgot to hit send. Something very similar happened to one of my friends. Professor wrote his LOR for his top choice grad school program, told him it was in, but had neglected to actually submit it to the school. Couple of weeks down the road, after the LOR deadline, professor realizes they never submitted and gave an all out apology to my friend. Don't bother the committee to email your professor; that could paint you in a negative light and you want to do everything to maximize your chances of getting the scholarship. Just talk to the professor again yourself.

Reactions: 1 users