Scholarship chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoping2makeit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.8 cGPA, 3.9sGPA, 200 hours of research, 150 hours shadowing 4 different Pods in clinic and OR, +850 volunteer hours including two medical missions to Africa, I am a Medical Laboratory Scientist certified by the American Society of Clinical Pathology with 2000+ work hours, I have good LORs, and I teach an undergraduate course at the university I graduated from and I am signed up for the January MCAT. Does anybody have an idea what I need to make on the MCAT to get a scholarship and how much I could get? Keep in mind that I won't even be accepted until March/April. Will all of the scholarships already be awarded?

Members don't see this ad.

This is all very dependent on the school. The majority (but not all) of schools will probably offer you at least something if you score a 21 or higher. You'll be looking at some half tuition scholarships at some schools if you score in the high twenties.

Scholl, NYCPM, Kent and Temple tend to be more generous as they have a huge alumni base and endowment to pay for scholarships. DMU I heard only gives 4k tops, AZ does not really give much.

Apply and you will get something

Members don't see this ad :)
Samuel Merritt offer pretty hefty scholarships but they are on a first come first served basis and the cost of living is super high.

Dont forget to look at requirements to keep the scholarship...or if it's even renewable.

I know DMU has given at least 1, $5k scholarship but that is pretty much the top end (most if not all can be renewed each years based on various academic standards). Other schools listed definitely offer more. No idea how many kids get or keep the big half tuition ones that Scholl and Ohio offer, or at least have in the past. Getting and holding on to one of those would be worth choosing a school over.

Scholl offers a few half tuition scholarship to incoming students...not sure on the exact number. Your GPA def puts you in the running for one and I think it's safe to say that a 27+ MCAT would give you a 99% chance at getting one. For 2nd year Scholl awards 10 half tuition scholarships awarded to the top 10 based on GPA after 1st yr. IIRC for my year no one had more than 1 maybe 2 B's depending on the number of credit hours. But this really depends on how competitive your class is.