Scheduling interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know whether programs interview during the 1st week of january? trying to figure out how long i should plan to be out of town after the holidays.

Actually, they might this year (since 1/1 is a Saturday). They'll probably take Monday off but they may very well be interviewing the rest of the week.

Members don't see this ad.

This is just n=1, but all of the invites I have received so far had spots during the first week of January.

This may be specialty dependent but, I have several interviews for the first week of January.

I asked to be placed on the interview-waiting-list for a school that I am interested in but have already booked/saved dates for other interviews. The coordinator said that there is a good chance that spots will open up as people run out of money/dates and start canceling. N of 1, but hope this helps.
Thanks! The program actually emailed me the very next day and told me they openend up on one day in december and I was able to get an interview. So waitlist does really work.

With most programs interviewing between late october and late Jan, is it safe to say that if you stop receiving invites by mid October, that no more invites will be coming?...or do programs send out invites as late as November? My ERAS was submitted on 9/5. Just curious since I may start canceling a few soon.

With most programs interviewing between late october and late Jan, is it safe to say that if you stop receiving invites by mid October, that no more invites will be coming?...or do programs send out invites as late as November? My ERAS was submitted on 9/5. Just curious since I may start canceling a few soon.

Please search the forums before asking questions that have been answered repeatedly.

As has been discussed ad nauseam, many programs do not offer interviews until the Dean's Letter is released.

-AT.

Invites are likely to come through December. They will slow down after the MSPE release on Nov 1, but you will certainly get invites in Nov (if you still have applications without answers by then)

Invites are likely to come through December. They will slow down after the MSPE release on Nov 1, but you will certainly get invites in Nov (if you still have applications without answers by then)

Wow, had no idea they would come after Nov. 1 still. Thanks.

What is the best way to cancel/reschedule an interview after a coordinator already gave you the confirmation number for a program-paid hotel reservation in your name -- if at all?

Sorry for clogging up the thread. You guys seem to give good advice, so I figured I'd try here.

Thanks in advance.

What is the best way to cancel/reschedule an interview after a coordinator already gave you the confirmation number for a program-paid hotel reservation in your name -- if at all?

Sorry for clogging up the thread. You guys seem to give good advice, so I figured I'd try here.

Thanks in advance.

What did the PC say when you called/e-mailed him/her?

That's what I thought.

Maybe I'm being naive here, but I have not canceled or rescheduled any interviews yet with confirmations of program-paid hotel reservations (some of which are over 2 months away).

Has anyone out there canceled in similar situations?

I'd appreciate any insight.

Maybe I'm being naive here, but I have not canceled or rescheduled any interviews yet with confirmations of program-paid hotel reservations (some of which are over 2 months away).

Has anyone out there canceled in similar situations?

I'd appreciate any insight.

Just call the program coordinator and cancel.

-AT.

A program offered several dates (after their initial date they gave me overlapped another different program) for an interview - but each exact date overlaps with other interviews I have already scheduled.

I guess my question is..

how many times is it appropriate to ask for alternative dates? Everything they offer to me conflicts with other interviews I already set up.

Or should I attempt to contact the previously scheduled programs and change their dates around? If so ... should I say something like "The dates you offer still conflict with my schedule - but I will attempt to contact the other programs and possibly change their meeting in order to schedule one with you"

thanks for any help

Last edited:
I have been asking once by email and once by phone for programs that I'm interested in. Sometimes they give out more dates with each attempt.

All program coordinators have been extremely receptive. Some spent time with me over the phone going over all the dates again, so I get the sense that they know candidates not trying to be difficult and try to help as much as possible. One coordinator even asked the director about non-standard interview dates for me.

If the dates/circumstances just didn't work, I cut some programs that I was less attached to. Just make sure you tell the coordinators that you are not going as soon as you know.

atsai3's advice is pretty good on the protocols of scheduling/rescheduling/canceling -- schedule ASAP, reply within 1-2 days to initial contact, change within 1 month; and just do what you need to do. I haven't ruffled any feathers by following atsai3's advice.

A program offered several dates (after their initial date they gave me overlapped another different program) for an interview - but each exact date overlaps with other interviews I have already scheduled.

I guess my question is..

how many times is it appropriate to ask for alternative dates? Everything they offer to me conflicts with other interviews I already set up.

Or should I attempt to contact the previously scheduled programs and change their dates around? If so ... should I say something like "The dates you offer still conflict with my schedule - but I will attempt to contact the other programs and possibly change their meeting in order to schedule one with you"

thanks for any help

one program just sent me an invite (a month after submitting my eras) and said they were interviewing for three dates in November. I wrote back and (truthfully) told them there were three dates in January that would work for me and that's it. They offered me one of those dates. :D So it proves that you can't go wrong just by asking.

How soon should you hear back after emailing a program about interview dates? I replied within 2-3 days after I got the invite but haven't heard back yet about a confirmation. Should I go ahead and call them or wait a couple more days? I'm just getting a little worried after hearing about programs offering more interviews than they really have :confused:

How soon should you hear back after emailing a program about interview dates? I replied within 2-3 days after I got the invite but haven't heard back yet about a confirmation. Should I go ahead and call them or wait a couple more days? I'm just getting a little worried after hearing about programs offering more interviews than they really have :confused:
Usually I've been getting confirmation right away if I call, or maybe within an hour or two. Sometimes they get back to me the next day, especially if I sent them an email rather than calling. If it's already been a few business days since you emailed them and you haven't gotten confirmation, I think if it were me that I'd follow up with a phone call.

But why are you taking 2-3 days to get back to them when you know the spots are filling up and there might not be enough spots? Even if you don't have time to contact them right away, you can still take two minutes to send them an email that night before you go to bed for something as important as this. What's that saying....never go to bed having an unanswered invite. :p

Any idea if interviews will be scheduled around Christmas (the entire week of Dec, 20-24) ???
thanks

I wanted to jump in and offer a few hints from the perspective of a coordinator.

1. People cancel or reschedule all the time. We expect it. We all know how tough it is to coordinate schedules with other programs, and no program coordinator or director is under the impression that you're only interviewing at their institution.

2. If you need to cancel for whatever reason, do so as soon as you know. We often get more cancellations later in the season as applicants run out of money/steam and realize they have enough programs they want for their rank list. But give us a chance to offer your spot to someone else.

3. If you are cancelling for good, you can go ahead and check the withdraw box on ERAS. That's helpful to us. BUT...do not simply withdraw and then not call or email to cancel. It's rude. And remember - bad ettiquette can come back to haunt you.

4. If you need to reschedule, just email or call. But understand that interview slots fill up quickly and it might be hard to find the date you want. Our program will "waitlist" a reschedule if we can't accomodate and will let you know if anyone cancels from the date you are trying to get. We're also pretty flexible about adding spots if you absolutely can't do any other day (especially if you're coming from far away), but not all programs have that flexibility.

5. I second what someone said about not asking for interview dates until you're been offered an interview. I tend to find those emails or calls pretty presumptuous and it does not put you on good footing with me. To us it sounds like "I know that you'll be offering me an interview because I'm just that good, so I'd like to start working you into my schedule now".

6. Finally - RELAX! Even the things I mention above that you shouldn't do...it happens. We are not out to get you. We really do want everyone we interview to do well. As long as you don't treat us like garbage, we'll pretty much give you the benefit of the doubt! From my personal perspective, I'm as invested in you having a good experience interviewing at my program, as you are in having a good interview.

Hope that helps!