Scheduling 4th year for a budding, general surgery hopeful.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgeon D.O.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My 4th year begins the last week of March.

I am currently allowed a max of 6 away rotations from my base site (which has no GME residencies).

What should my always look like for auditions and what is an appropriate time frame given Level 2/ STEP 2?

I currently have 4 programs I am interested in applying to for auditions, they are all in the same state which is where I am looking to match. I'm not sure if being in the same state and region would count against me or not.

Is it also common to be "denied" an audition by a site, which I am also a bit concerned about with sub-stellar scores? (224/556).

Thanks SDN fam

Members don't see this ad.

My 4th year begins the last week of March.

I am currently allowed a max of 6 away rotations from my base site (which has no GME residencies).

What should my always look like for auditions and what is an appropriate time frame given Level 2/ STEP 2?

I currently have 4 programs I am interested in applying to for auditions, they are all in the same state which is where I am looking to match. I'm not sure if being in the same state and region would count against me or not.

Is it also common to be "denied" an audition by a site, which I am also a bit concerned about with sub-stellar scores? (224/556).

Thanks SDN fam

I'm a 4th year applying gen surg this cycle and I did 5 aways (2 auditions at DO places and 3 sub-i's at MD programs) Our 4th year started in July so I have been doing them back to back. If your goal is to maximize interviews I would only do auditions at former DO places. Former DO places tend to care far more about auditions and you actually being there. I have interviews from both DO places I auditioned at. I only received interviews at 1 out of the 3 MD programs I did subi's at. I even got letters and did research at one that I did not receive an interview at. My scores are also pretty high 250+ step1 and 260+ step2.

If you apply early, you should have no issues scheduling aways at former DO places. I don't think your region matters very much or if you do them all in the same state or region. You should have plenty of time to fit in 6 from March until November when interview season begins.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Also 2 of the places we m looking at auditions at are HCA, one person told me HCA doesn’t care about auditions while someone else said to still do them.

Both are are former DO programs

Members don't see this ad :)
Also 2 of the places we m looking at auditions at are HCA, one person told me HCA doesn’t care about auditions while someone else said to still do them.

I don't think the hospital being HCA matters. If you are interested in getting an interview there then I would do it.

So get the auditions in early and then use the rest of 4th year for my required rotations? (FM, EM, Anes/Rads, ICU etc)?

Last edited:
So get the auditions in early and then use the rest of 4th year for my required rotations? (FM, EM, Anes/Rads, ICU etc)?

I mean you can pretty much do auditions until December, so you'll have plenty of time to get in 6 especially since you guys start in March. You don't necessarily have to do them early. Just schedule them early.

Also are they all 4 week auditions or any 2 week?

How did you fit boards into the audition season? My school requires us to complete Level 2 by mid May

Ya. Many are just first come, first serve.

I personally wouldn’t waste time on an HCA audition. They interview very heavily based purely on nothing but scores.

Ya. Many are just first come, first serve.

I personally wouldn’t waste time on an HCA audition. They interview very heavily based purely on nothing but scores.
I heard that about HCA from another person too which I'm bummed about since there are 2 former DO / HCA sites located near where I want to end up.

Last edited:
Do you recommend any "practice" auditions before you go on one at a place you want to match at?

I feel like it takes me too long to get used to things at a new place and I'll be shooting myself in the foot if I'm only on my 2nd surgery rotation at the start of 4th year.

Do you recommend any "practice" auditions before you go on one at a place you want to match at?

I feel like it takes me too long to get used to things at a new place and I'll be shooting myself in the foot if I'm only on my 2nd surgery rotation at the start of 4th year.
I would either do an audition at a place that may not be my top top choice first, or at the program that is known to prepare students really well for future rotations.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Reviving my own thread.

Former AOA sites to avoid for general surgery auditions / applying?

I have spoken to some of you on here via PM and have been informed of several sites to avoid already which I have marked down. Looking now to more or less finalize the list.

Thanks all and happy new year.