schedule for june for those reporting to WRAMC 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
on our orders, we're to report june 6, but I'm not sure how much dedicated time there is to in-processing and how much is free time to settle as per army PCS.

does anyone know what the typical day might be like during that period between june 6 and when internship starts july 1? weekends off? time to get settled/find a place/buy stuff/etc?

Members don't see this ad.

My report date was June 15 (this was at BAMC several years ago), and we had orientation classes from 8-2 or so M-F for two weeks. Weekends were free. I think we had to do a diagnostic APFT during this time as well, lots of people did poorly, but it gave you motivation to get in shape. Don't know if that's much help, sorry.

cool thanks for the info. anyone have recent info on wramc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that this info is going on 5 years old by now...

Days will generally last from 0800-1500. There is a lot of info to cover. Not only will there be lectures on all the extraneous stuff, but there will be lectures on how to be an intern (why you should never hang PRBCs with LR, how to ask for an autopsy, etc.). There will also be numerous classes on the military EMR systems.

You will have to take a diagnostic PT, get certified in BLS and ACLS, and have your uniform inspected. There will also be bonding events with your fellow interns as well as socials with the hospital leadership. Navy orientation should also be more prominent than when I did it.

Weekends will be free, and there should be enough time to get settled, but the days will generally be full.

How is running around the square balcony as a means of completing a PT test anywhere CLOSE to safe?

Beyond being hilarious and absurd, it's got to be dangerous...sharp corners, round doctors...these things don't mix.

How is running around the square balcony as a means of completing a PT test anywhere CLOSE to safe?

Beyond being hilarious and absurd, it's got to be dangerous...sharp corners, round doctors...these things don't mix.

I seem to remember a track at WRAMC. Do they really run one around that 2nd level? (I think it's the 2nd level that has the wrap around portico)

The semi-annual APFT can be run on the track by the 16th street gate or on the veranda around level 2 of the hospital.

Interns are not given a choice though. They will be running on the veranda at 0530 on a humid June morning.

The semi-annual APFT can be run on the track by the 16th street gate or on the veranda around level 2 of the hospital.

Interns are not given a choice though. They will be running on the veranda at 0530 on a humid June morning.

The june one is probably a diagnostic, but that still sucks to run around that area. How many 'laps' do you have to do?

I can't imagine running on that concrete/stone/whatever the heck it is veranda.

Thank god I'm in the Navy and can just sit on a stationary bike for 12 minutes, haha.

on our orders, we're to report june 6, but I'm not sure how much dedicated time there is to in-processing and how much is free time to settle as per army PCS.

does anyone know what the typical day might be like during that period between june 6 and when internship starts july 1? weekends off? time to get settled/find a place/buy stuff/etc?

I went through the inprocessing in 2009, though most of my inprocessing was for Bethesda. I seem to remember that the folks at Walter Reed had some early mornings, but for the most part, it was Monday-Friday, 7:30 to as late as 4 pm some days. Yes, you will have time to get settled, buy things. You will have weekends off. You will be going around the hospital learning where things are, learning how to use CHCS/AHLTA and Essentris, getting lectures from the pharmacists, blood bank, learning about the duty hour restrictions, doing a PFT, getting your ID card and scrub card, computer access, etc. You will have to go to Bethesda for a few things, since you may have some rotations over there.

I remember coming into Walter Reed early in the morning on my Medicine rotation and seeing soldiers (enlisted and officers) doing their PFT on the veranda. Yes, it's true. Looked like it sucks. Don't know how many laps.

There will be plenty of spare time. Use it getting to know your intern classmates and having fun. There will be less time for that come July 1st.

In-processing was a blast. Once July 1 started up, game over. Enjoy it, don't waste it. At TAMC, we were able to have some time off if we did our BLS and ACLS prior to arrival, which meant it was a perfect time to buy a surfboard.