This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optometristB2019

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just got into both SCCO and UC Berkeley for the class of 2024 :) But I am very torn between the two so any insight would be extremely helpful!

SCCO
Pros:
-
can save money on commuting; college is only 15 min away and clinic is even closer at 8 min away
- great city/feel safe/know the city well
- $20,000 merit scholarship for the first year (they said I can apply for more scholarships and probably get more money)
- newly renovated clinic is amazing!
- friend network is located in SoCal

Cons:
- not as strong of a name brand (?)
- don't know how well they prepare their students
- ugly logo lol

UC Berkeley
Pros:

- great program
- love the hands-on experience/most clinical experience
- it has a really strong name brand
- $20,800 departmental scholarship dispersed over 4 years
- prepares you extremely well

Cons:
- hate the city
- more expensive (by $43,000 bc I have to pay for housing but money might not be an issue depending if parents will support me lol)

I want to also practice in Southern California and so if anyone has any insight on the alumni network/which school would give an advantage in hiring that would be wonderful as well! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I just got into both SCCO and UC Berkeley for the class of 2024 :) But I am very torn between the two so any insight would be extremely helpful!

SCCO
Pros:
-
can save money on commuting; college is only 15 min away and clinic is even closer at 8 min away
- great city/feel safe/know the city well
- $20,000 merit scholarship for the first year (they said I can apply for more scholarships and probably get more money)
- newly renovated clinic is amazing!
- friend network is located in SoCal

Cons:
- not as strong of a name brand (?)
- don't know how well they prepare their students
- ugly logo lol

UC Berkeley
Pros:

- great program
- love the hands-on experience/most clinical experience
- it has a really strong name brand
- $20,800 departmental scholarship dispersed over 4 years
- prepares you extremely well

Cons:
- hate the city
- more expensive (by $43,000 bc I have to pay for housing but money might not be an issue depending if parents will support me lol)

I want to also practice in Southern California and so if anyone has any insight on the alumni network/which school would give an advantage in hiring that would be wonderful as well! Thank you :)

I've mentioned this in other forums, but if you got into Berkeley, I would take that offer any day. It's extremely competitive, and they always turn out for high first-time pass rates, number of residency applicants, and amazing research. This is coming from a non-Berkeley grad, by the way. SCCO is great, but I agree with what you mentioned before about name recognition. If you want to work with MDs, DOs, and patients in the future, the name Berkeley resonates with them a preeminent academic institution. Although SCCO is one of the historic schools, it has not merged with programs like USC, Cal State, UCLA, etc in the area, so it's only known by eye care providers. Just my two cents. Grads from both are great docs and have great board scores.

Go with whichever choice will allow you the best school/life balance. Right now it sounds like that will be SCCO given the fact that it's cheaper and you'd have a good support system in place.

If you plan on doing residency, I'm sure you can still match as an SCCO grad given that it's a reputable school. I'm a Berkeley grad, you're welcome to dm me with any questions if you want, but you can't go wrong with either choice.