scared!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this topic has been beaten to death but are there a lot of people out there like me who will be in the 200,000+ debt range at the end of school? I am seriously considering going into a specialty beacuse I don't see how going into, say FP will get these loans paid back in under 20 years!

Any words of wisdom/encouragement would be great!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same worries. I interested in seeing what others have to say also.

:confused:

Switched over to pharmacy! It was the best thing I did (so far)!

So instead of having $250,000 in debt, I will only be stuck with $150,000.

If the pharamcy field is still HOT as it is now, 3-4 years to the future, I should be on the plus side 5 years after graduation.

Not bad! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Guys,
I too will be about 250,000 in debt also. What I was wondering is if it is possible to buy a house in residency make only 36,000-38,000 with such a large debt, considering you have decent credit. I want to make plans to buy a house, after living in a studio for medical school, but I'm starting to think this is not feasible. I assuming that a condition to obtaining credit involves factoring in your debt to income ratio. What are we to do :(
Thanks,
Keith

If you have M.D. after your name, some banks will throw money in your direction. There are many mortgage lenders for doctors only, knowing that you might have a ton of student loans, a limited income as a resident, but huge earning potential. Don't worry about your ability to buy a house in the future.

don't pick a speciality because of $$$. pick it because u love it. otherwise u will not be happy.

Originally posted by NMH2001
I know that this topic has been beaten to death but are there a lot of people out there like me who will be in the 200,000+ debt range at the end of school? I am seriously considering going into a specialty beacuse I don't see how going into, say FP will get these loans paid back in under 20 years!

Any words of wisdom/encouragement would be great!!

First, I recommend you read the book "The Millionare Next Door". You'll feel comforted that wealth is built upon how you live your life and value money, not by how much you make.

Let's consider some calculations. FP on average, makes $136K/year (http://stats.bls.gov/oes/2002/oes_29He.htm)

This is after malpractice and other business expenses.

Taking the deduction of ~$30,000 (this includes a mortgage for a $300K house, work expenses, taxes paid, etc...), a single person, self-employed making this much should take home about ($136K - $24K federal tax - $15,000 self-employment tax - ~$10,000 state tax.) = about $87K/year or $7250/month.

$7250/month

-$2000 student loan payment @ 4% 10 year plan

-$300/month medical/dental insurance (included in above deductions)

-$400/month work expenses (included in above deductions).

You're left with about $2500/month for food, car payment, savings, retirement savings, entertainment, clothing, etc....

The above is a rough estimate, but under the right financial budget and mindset, a FP can pay back $200K in student loans and still have a decent lifestyle. The real problem is saving for retirement. You'll have to force yourself to save as much as possible of the $2500/month for retirement, but after 10 years when the student loans are paid off, you'll have another $2000/month free to put towards retirement. In addition, you're going to have financial difficulty living in LA, New York, Chicago, or SF. Physicians who work in smaller towns/cities will definitely have more money than those who pick larger, over-saturated markets. Also, if you pick a state like FL or TX where there is no State Income Tax, then you'll have an extra $10,000/year.

My advice is the same as moniagrl's: don't pick a specialty b/c of money. If you do what you love, then the money is only a big bonus.

Regardless of specialty, you'll be able to pay off a big student loan debt.

I hope this helps. ;)

Addenum:
I know someone is going to ask about retirement. Let's assume the average FP will be 30 when starting practice. You're able to set aside $200/month for 10 years, and then $2,000/month there after. Let's plan on retirement being at age 60.

With an average investment return of 6% (which is worse than the S&P 500 historically), at age 60 you'll have: slightly over $1 million

with 8% return, at age 60 you'll have $1.3 million

This is probably not enough to retire, but you'll also have to consider that you'll be able to sell your practice or you may work for another 5 years until age 65, which will allow the $1.3 million grow closer to $2 million. If you work in academics, then you'll probably have double this amount b/c most programs match dollar per dollar. If you work for the military, you'll have this amount AND your military retirement (currently worth about $1 million dollars alone for those serving 20 years).

You can play with this calculator:
http://www.bygpub.com/finance/InterestCalc.htm

Originally posted by EarlyEditionDude
Switched over to pharmacy! It was the best thing I did (so far)!

So instead of having $250,000 in debt, I will only be stuck with $150,000.

If the pharamcy field is still HOT as it is now, 3-4 years to the future, I should be on the plus side 5 years after graduation.

Not bad! :cool:

May not be a good idea for Cali applicants, especially male.

1) UC medical schools cost less and private MD or DO schools in CA cost about the same as school of pharm at USC or UOP.
2) There are only two public schools of pharm in CA, UCSF and UCSD. Both school accepts 75% female applicants. The total number of male acceptances is annually about 40 + 10 = 50. The rest would have to go to UOP, USC or Western. It costs about $50,000 a year at the first two.
3) It could have taken someone only 6-7 years to get a pharm d from western or UOP. Better get it going since high school graduation.

That's why I changed my mind the other way around.

Say I do a fellowship in neurology after a residency in internal medicine (to specialize). Are fellows paid more than residents? If so about how much?

Neurology is a specialty in itself meaning it isn't a fellowship after internal medicine and you apply directly to neurology during medical school. Fellows get paid slightly more than residents. Here's our pay scale for 2003 below. If you're a cardiology fellow your salary is that of PGY-4, PGY-5, and PGY-6. If you do an interventional cardiology fellowship you'll be a PGY-7 and possibly PGY-8. Surgeons do 5-6 years of residency so senior surgery residents make the same as senior cardiology fellows. Its like this at most programs.

PGY1 $40700
PGY2 $42500
PGY3 $44200
PGY4 $46300
PGY5 $48300
PGY6 $51200
PGY7 $51800

Originally posted by Andrew_Doan
First, I recommend you read the book "The Millionare Next Door". You'll feel comforted that wealth is built upon how you live your life and value money, not by how much you make.

Let's consider some calculations. FP on average, makes $136K/year (http://stats.bls.gov/oes/2002/oes_29He.htm)

This is after malpractice and other business expenses.

Taking the deduction of ~$30,000 (this includes a mortgage for a $300K house, work expenses, taxes paid, etc...), a single person, self-employed making this much should take home about ($136K - $24K federal tax - $15,000 self-employment tax - ~$10,000 state tax.) = about $87K/year or $7250/month.

$7250/month

-$2000 student loan payment @ 4% 10 year plan

-$300/month medical/dental insurance (included in above deductions)

-$400/month work expenses (included in above deductions).

You're left with about $2500/month for food, car payment, savings, retirement savings, entertainment, clothing, etc....

The above is a rough estimate, but under the right financial budget and mindset, a FP can pay back $200K in student loans and still have a decent lifestyle. The real problem is saving for retirement. You'll have to force yourself to save as much as possible of the $2500/month for retirement, but after 10 years when the student loans are paid off, you'll have another $2000/month free to put towards retirement. In addition, you're going to have financial difficulty living in LA, New York, Chicago, or SF. Physicians who work in smaller towns/cities will definitely have more money than those who pick larger, over-saturated markets. Also, if you pick a state like FL or TX where there is no State Income Tax, then you'll have an extra $10,000/year.

My advice is the same as moniagrl's: don't pick a specialty b/c of money. If you do what you love, then the money is only a big bonus.

Regardless of specialty, you'll be able to pay off a big student loan debt.

I hope this helps. ;)

Addenum:
I know someone is going to ask about retirement. Let's assume the average FP will be 30 when starting practice. You're able to set aside $200/month for 10 years, and then $2,000/month there after. Let's plan on retirement being at age 60.

With an average investment return of 6% (which is worse than the S&P 500 historically), at age 60 you'll have: slightly over $1 million

with 8% return, at age 60 you'll have $1.3 million

This is probably not enough to retire, but you'll also have to consider that you'll be able to sell your practice or you may work for another 5 years until age 65, which will allow the $1.3 million grow closer to $2 million. If you work in academics, then you'll probably have double this amount b/c most programs match dollar per dollar. If you work for the military, you'll have this amount AND your military retirement (currently worth about $1 million dollars alone for those serving 20 years).

You can play with this calculator:
http://www.bygpub.com/finance/InterestCalc.htm
Let me be the first to say that this post was a really big help. I am also looking into FP and will most likely go to a private school with a high tuition.

I always knew I could make it but I didn't know exactly how. Your calculations make much sense. Thank you for taking the time to do that. :thumbup:

Wow thanks so much Andrew_Doan that was a big help and definitely helps puts things into the right view. Makes my ~250,000 loans seem feasible enough to pay off and still live comfortably doing FP (which is my specialty of choice). If anyone else has any similiar info/advice please share.

Originally posted by VitaminK
Wow thanks so much Andrew_Doan that was a big help and definitely helps puts things into the right view. Makes my ~250,000 loans seem feasible enough to pay off and still live comfortably doing FP (which is my specialty of choice). If anyone else has any similiar info/advice please share.

I'm glad this helps! :)

One more thing, with $250,000 loan balance, your monthly payments are $2500 x 10 yrs with 4% interest. If this is too much, then you have the option of doing a 30 year plan which reduces your monthly payment to $1200. If you have extra cash, then you can always pay off your loan faster without penalty.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone should ever pick which field of medicine to go into based primarily on salary because most fields fluctuate in terms of popularity, need and pay. Therefore stick with something you're genuinely interested in. At least you'll be happy doing what you like. And when the market turns and your specialty is "hot", you'll reap the financial benefits.

6-7 years ago anesthesiology was a field no one wanted to go into. Now it's flooded with applicants because of the high pay & need. If you jump into a "hot" field now, there's no guarantee that it'll still be "hot" by the time you're done training.

Finally I wouldn't pay too much attention to published median salaries. The salary a doctor earns right out of residency won't be the same salary he/she earns in 5 years. As you build up your practice, you'll likely make substantially more. Just a case in point: pediatrics is one of the lower paid fields in medicine, but a friend of mine says his uncle, who's a general pediatrician, makes a million dollars a year, so there's obviously a lot of variability in terms of salary reporting.

I'm glad this helps! :)

One more thing, with $250,000 loan balance, your monthly payments are $2500 x 10 yrs with 4% interest. If this is too much, then you have the option of doing a 30 year plan which reduces your monthly payment to $1200. If you have extra cash, then you can always pay off your loan faster without penalty. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for this detailed breakdown. It allows me to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I will have about $200,000 in debt as well.

Originally posted by alimarie81

Thank you so much for this detailed breakdown. It allows me to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I will have about $200,000 in debt as well.

There's definitely light at the end of the tunnel. It's a long tunnel, but it's worth it. ;)

Good luck!

Thanks Andrew! I really needed that perspective. Jenn

OK STAY WITH ME HERE, this is a simplified run down of my financial planning... what do you guys think???? the $(66.00) means negative sixty-six dollars. I am most concerned with costs of living and such... im at about $11000 for the year in basic needs like food, gasoline, apartment...

$(66,638.70) TOTAL costs per year!!!!!!!!!!!
======================================
$(11,388.00) gas, food, CT Apartment
$(1,200.00) yearly car insurance - FULL coverage
$(312.00) yearly car tax
$(1,743.70) car payments
$(1,440.00) health insurance through soma
$(34,310.00) med skoo
$(1,000.00) various tests for licenses
$(720.00) take a programming course every semester
$(800.00) violin strings/lessons/books
$(4,485.00) MSEE
$(720.00) take language classes
$(2,500.00) car repairs
$(1,000.00) new comp parts/sell old stuff not wanted
$(3,800.00) law skoo
$(520.00) martial arts
$(520.00) martial arts
$(180.00) recreation

$95,383.20 TOTAL Income per year ESTIMATED
$8,500.00 subed fed loans
$30,000.00 unsubed fed loans
$7,339.20 others... hehe...
$11,544.00 others... hehe...
$15,000.00 private loans
$23,000.00 others... hehe...

$28,744.50 Difference from costs and income

$(214,000.00) 4 yr total school loan
$114,978.01 difference times 4
$(99,021.99) DIFFERENCE TO PAY BACK IN LOANS

amount needed $(99,021.99)
downpayment $-
total loan $(99,021.99)

annual interest rate 3.00%
rate 0.0025
years 30
number of payments 360

total principle paid $99,021.99
total interest paid $51,271.07
payment per month $417.48

Hey guys
I just emailed my school's fin aid dept, and had some reassuring news. The Sr. Financial Aid Administrator emailed me back about my high EFC ($11,700). She said I can borrow $8500 from subsidized Stafford based on need. The unsub $30,000 is not based on EFC, so I can use part of that to make up the rest. The EFC on FAFSA is confusing, in that it makes you think you have to pay that amount out of pocket (from residual income) every year.
She also said " don't hesitate to contact us should you start worrying. you will be fine. I can help you through this process every step of the way. It is not hard, its just a major decision that you have made and at times it is normal to worry about everything."
Its nice to know that your fin aid dept does understand, and they aren't out to get you, they are there to help you.

Live Modestly;)

Originally posted by RamosPA
Have you considered one of the military scholarship programs? The Army's Health Professions Scholarship Program pays for all tuition (regardless of which medical school you're attending as long as it's in the US or Puerto Rico and it's accredited), books, fees, and you get a monthly stipend that's currently set at $1,185 and goes up every July. Check out http://healthcare.goarmy.com
Let me know if you want more info.

:idea:

Recruiter? ;)

I wonder if anyone has any newer data on this topic and specifically some real stories as to how long it has taken them or how long they project it will take to pay off their loans.

I wonder if anyone has any newer data on this topic and specifically some real stories as to how long it has taken them or how long they project it will take to pay off their loans.

It seems like the info in the discussion above is still pretty accurate, except our interest rates are higher. :( Have you checked out the calculators here. I've used that to figure out my loan repayment plan. I generally assume that I'll make $150,000 after residency.

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/

It seems like the info in the discussion above is still pretty accurate, except our interest rates are higher.[/url]

Yep, I agree; that analysis is pretty solid, only now the 10 year payment on $200K is more like $2300-2400/month, rather than $2000. 30 year payment is more like $1400. And, of course, housing and health insurance have both become more expensive too.

Wow....Now this may be a little high, but maybe not. I have a wife and two very little children. Will be starting school next year. Tuition is a little over 40k...this makes the military look like a really good option. HPSP

this is what they tell me

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/scripts/loanpayments.cgi

Loan Calculator

Loan Balance: $240,000.00
Adjusted Loan Balance: $240,000.00
Loan Interest Rate: 8.50%
Loan Fees: 0.00%
Loan Term: 10 years
Minimum Payment: $50.00

Monthly Loan Payment: $2,975.66
Number of Payments: 120

Cumulative Payments: $357,078.55
Total Interest Paid: $117,078.55

Note: The monthly loan payment was calculated at 119 payments of $2,975.66 plus a final payment of $2,975.01.

It is estimated that you will need an annual salary of at least $357,079.20 to be able to afford to repay this loan. This estimate assumes that 10% of your gross monthly income will be devoted to repaying your student loans. If you use 15% of your gross monthly income to repay the loan, you will need an annual salary of only $238,052.80, but you may experience some financial difficulty.

Over 30 years:
Loan Balance: $240,000.00
Adjusted Loan Balance: $240,000.00
Loan Interest Rate: 8.50%
Loan Fees: 0.00%
Loan Term: 30 years
Minimum Payment: $50.00

Monthly Loan Payment: $1,845.39
Number of Payments: 361

Cumulative Payments: $664,344.32
Total Interest Paid: $424,344.32

Wow....Now this may be a little high, but maybe not. I have a wife and two very little children. Will be starting school next year. Tuition is a little over 40k...this makes the military look like a really good option. HPSP

I don't think you should be so worried. Think about it... if you were making $350,000, wouldn't it be foolish to be only paying 10% of it towards loans? I know a big chunk goes to taxes, but how high of a living standard do you need? My husband is also an intern and we don't have kids, and we seem to be getting by fine on a resident's salary - assuming we kept the same standard of living for just a few years after residency, we could totally pay down our loans in a major way even if we only had $150K to play around with - that's still three times as much as we're making now and I make payments on my loans every month (for medical students out there, you are not required to make payments on your loans during residency, they are deferred, I am just doing it to get rid of my loans ASAP).

Although I am very depressed/upset about the new legislation regarding deferment in the other thread in this forum. I do think that that is very discouraging financially. Because even though as I mentioned I am making some payments on my loans, they are only small payments. It is enough to make even a hardened idealist like me start feeling cynical about needing to make money in medicine. We have worked so hard, and just now this year that I have gotten a 'real job' and was able to start doing things like saving for retirement, now the government is doing this. I still have hope that the legislation may be changed, but in the meantime I admit I am having trouble trying to keep my rose colored glasses on.

Hey elderjack,

It's not quite that bad! Your overall interest rate wont be 8.5%!

(But I agree: yikes.)

Although I am very depressed/upset about the new legislation regarding deferment in the other thread in this forum. I do think that that is very discouraging financially. Because even though as I mentioned I am making some payments on my loans, they are only small payments. It is enough to make even a hardened idealist like me start feeling cynical about needing to make money in medicine. We have worked so hard, and just now this year that I have gotten a 'real job' and was able to start doing things like saving for retirement, now the government is doing this. I still have hope that the legislation may be changed, but in the meantime I admit I am having trouble trying to keep my rose colored glasses on.

Yeah, I'm more on the idealistic side, too, so it's especially shocked me. And yeah, losing the ability to save for retirement is a huge lose that we all sustain during the 4 years of medical school. Making it harder for us to do during residency is another blow.

I've seen people talk about nearing the $400,000 debt mark.

Anyone top that? I bet we're gonna see debt of $600,000 within 5 years.

does anyone kno how much a resident or a fellow wud get for pathology im really into this n it isnt a fad or anything nor am i into it cuz forensics is hot now.
im serious i have like a 12-15 yr plan lol
n where r the best places to do residency for fp?