scared to start inernship???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jujukat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else is as scared and intimidated about starting internship and residency?
I have enjoyed my summer and all of a sudden after my NALS certification course, I have developed anxiety and all my doubts and fears about medicine are back.
I'm having thoughts of quitting before even starting which is not good.
How are you guys dealing with these feelings if you have them?

Members don't see this ad.

Well . . . . . . today was day 3 for me. I posted somewhere else about my first day when I was VERY SERIOUSLY considering changing careers. It's crazy walking in and getting 10 patients handed over to you on Day 1. Discharge is truly a saving grace. Glad to say things are a bit better now (although not completely). Now, my only bain is the night float system. I thought I would love not having overnight call, but already I can see overnight call would have made my life so much easier -- no coming in the next morning to 3, 4, or 5 patients that you don't even know! Oh well, I suppose I'll get used to this too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,
There is a huge learning curve when you start internship but it goes by very quickly and you just adjust to the job. The good thing is that everyone else who is just starting out is as nervous as you are. You will all survive and you will look back at yourself and laugh.
njbmd :)

We were all nervous, and some of us (myself included) are nervous about becoming Chiefs. It will most likely be a horrible year, with some fun mixed in, and it will generally go by rather quickly.

No one expects you to know everything, but just keep your information together and keep your seniors in the loop.

:confused: Anyone have any pointers for new interns? I think that it's an understatement that I'm overwhelmed by the huge responsibility that I now have. I feel as though my efficiency in seeing patients, writing notes, presenting, etc. has just gone down the drain and whenever I'm faced with some sort of clinical decision, my brain just stops functioning. How can I be efficient yet provide optimal care for my patients? Any experienced folks out there who have any suggestions on how to keep sane in the midst of this stressful time in we interns' lives????????

You will not be efficient, nor will you be expected to be. Take your time, learn how to learn your patients (a very important process), and things will all come together in time. Take your bumps and keep on truckin' - you'll be just fine....