Scar removal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do plastic surgeons perform any procedures for facial scar removal?

Members don't see this ad.

What type of procedures are there surgical and non surgical?

Members don't see this ad :)
laser, dermabrasion, bleaching, revision

most people will make you wait at least a year for the scar to mature before they'll mess with it

Originally posted by maxheadroom
laser, dermabrasion, bleaching, revision

most people will make you wait at least a year for the scar to mature before they'll mess with it

I have had these scars on my face sine I was about 12, I am now 21. Do u think that they could be removed?

I went to a dermatologist once for it, i took me almost 4 months to get an appointment, and truthfully he didn't seem to know what he was doing. He was really old and had gone to med school a long time ago. I am sure there have been a lot of new procedure developed since he was in med school or did his residency that he wasn't aware of. He is the only dermatologist in my area. I think it would be great if i was a little bit more informed about different procedures before I set up another appointment with him or with any doctor.

NRAI2001 said:
I went to a dermatologist once for it, i took me almost 4 months to get an appointment, and truthfully he didn't seem to know what he was doing.

It's funny how many times I've heard people describe their contact with dermatologists that way.

Its not really necessary to bump this thread because it was still in the 3 most recent postings.

At any rate, the students and residents here are not qualified to comment on whether or not your scar(s) could be successfully removed, given a) we don't know what the scars are from b) how severe they are c) how old they are d) where they are and e)what type of skin you have.

Different procedures work well for different scars and different patients. Take maxheadroom's advice and see a Plastic Surgeon if you weren't happy with your Dermatologist. One office visit should give you enough information on how he/she might approach your scars and what you could be offered.

I agree with the person who posted above me.

If you are interested, PM me. I had a scar revision done, and could send you pictures, before and after (although the after scar is still fading). It was done by a plastic surgeon who specializes in cranofacial reconstruction (majority of his patients had cleft plaets) at Hopkins.

-Liz

Yes, a good one can. If the scar is red, you'll need to search for a derm or plastic surgeon (derms might be less costly) to treat the red with laser. It's easy and it's effective. The scar, if treated properly, should smell like burning hair as the laser treatment is being performed, after that it may feel like a bruise or slight burn, not a big deal. If the scar is keloid then the laser can also reduce it's size. For keloid scars, they used to inject cortisone but that is not as popular as laser, but careful administration may help. If the scar is white, which is common for facial scars, then an idea is to have a permanent make up artist fill in the white area with a pigment that is similar to your facial color. Nothing will match perfectly, but it can help. See a doc that specializes in scar reduction and look at his/her portfolio. I'm only a med student of course, but have some experience with scars. Best of luck!! Jayne

Cool thanks a lot. :thumbup: