Scandinavians suspending Moderna shots for younger patients...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s important to note that 1) the article itself says the risk is very small. 2) they’re also NOT telling anyone to not get vaccinated, but to get a different vaccine instead.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s important to note that 1) the article itself says the risk is very small. 2) they’re also NOT telling anyone to not get vaccinated, but to get a different vaccine instead.

As a pediatrician, this is idiotic

You wanna die of covid because you don’t want to risk the rare se of myocarditis? Be my guest..

Everything in life is risk/ benefit. It’s not even worth a discussion imo
And....the risk of myocarditis is more likely if you get COVID.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I’ll just leave this here.
Do you care to comment on this article? By saying "I'll just leave this here" I take that to mean that you believe that the article speaks for itself. Given your post history, I assume that you believe that this article aligns with your belief that the covid vaccine is bad.

The article itself states the following:
- The moderna vaccine has been linked to myocarditis in young people
- Most people who get myocarditis recover on their own
- The moderna vaccine is not being given to people under 18.
- They continue to recommend that all eligible people be vaccinated with Pfizer

The article does not mention the fact that the risk of developing myocarditis is vastly higher as a result of covid infection than with covid vaccination.

In case you can't be bothered to read the article, here're the data:
Vaccine risk: myocarditis (risk ratio, 3.24; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.55 to 12.44; risk difference, 2.7 events per 100,000 persons; 95% CI, 1.0 to 4.6)
COVID infection risk: myocarditis (risk ratio, 18.28; 95% CI, 3.95 to 25.12; risk difference, 11.0 events per 100,000 persons; 95% CI, 5.6 to 15.8)

If you have something meaningful to contribute to this topic beyond a clickbait headline, I would welcome it.

Reactions: 11 users
Do you care to comment on this article? By saying "I'll just leave this here" I take that to mean that you believe that the article speaks for itself. Given your post history, I assume that you believe that this article aligns with your belief that the covid vaccine is bad.

The article does not mention the fact that the risk of developing myocarditis is vastly higher as a result of covid infection than with covid vaccination.

Vaccine risk: myocarditis (risk ratio, 3.24; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.55 to 12.44; risk difference, 2.7 events per 100,000 persons; 95% CI, 1.0 to 4.6)
COVID infection risk: myocarditis (risk ratio, 18.28; 95% CI, 3.95 to 25.12; risk difference, 11.0 events per 100,000 persons; 95% CI, 5.6 to 15.8)

If you have something meaningful to contribute to this topic beyond a clickbait headline, I would welcome it.

This has happened to me so many times in my career.

PLP brings me article, says that it supports their claim/position.
PLP didn't read the article, or doesn't understand things like biostatistics.
Article clearly does not support their claim or position.
???
I try to explain to PLP that: "that's not what this means; this is what a [positive predictive value, etc.] means."
PLP refuses to listen.
I die a little inside.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

???
I try to explain to PLP that: "that's not what this means; this is what a [positive predictive value, etc.] means."
PLP refuses to listen.
I die a little inside.
The number of doctors I've heard use that exact line over the years is probably a bad sign, doubly so as I haven't even been out of residency 10 years.

• Haha
The number of doctors I've heard use that exact line over the years is probably a bad sign, doubly so as I haven't even been out of residency 10 years.
Their hubris knows no bounds.

The last one I can remember, PLP was claiming that "Clinda-maya-sin" (phonetic spelling because I hate people that pronounce it like that) was no more likely to result in C.diff that any other antibiotic. Girl had no idea how to read the diagram, let alone the interpretation. None.

But she had been a NURSE for ELEVENTEEN YEARS and KNOWS what SHE'S talking about.

Other words that if you can't pronounce correctly, then I question your medical fund of knowledge include:

Phen-err-GRIN (Phenergan)
FAIR-nix (Pharynx)
Zin-fin-DALE (Zinfandel)

Okay, I threw that last one in because I can't stand overhearing it in conversation.
It's Zin-fin-DELL... not "Zin-fin-DALE-EARNHARDT".

I hate people more every day.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

I know the data and agree with everything you said.

Please don’t make such assumptions. I read the whole article, already know the data you mention. And agree with you. It is interesting that a person apparently is more likely to get myocarditis as a result of COVID than as a result of the vaccine and yet they’re halting Moderna vaccination in younger age groups as a result. Whether you think the data to support this is there or not (personally I don’t think there is), we have a large scale halt of administration of a vaccine that we have been told is so safe on one side of the world; in other parts of the world we are also imposing vaccine mandates. Yes - I realize this is just Moderna they’re talking about but new information is coming out all the time about COVID and this vaccine. How are things like this going to encourage more people to get vaccinated? Doesn’t this plant more doubt into people’s minds that the vaccine is not the best thing since sliced bread? I am just pondering.

???
PLP refuses to listen.
I die a little inside.
What’s a PLP?

I think it's worth noting when an entire nation takes a stance different than ours, on a medical issue, whether I agree with it or not. For that reason, I posted an article on the same issue in a different thread before @ERCAT did. But I'm of the opinion that adolescents are better off getting the vaccine than not. I had my 12 and 15 year olds get it as soon as it was available to them.

But I think people should be able to post a provocative or controversial article, without everyone assuming they agree with every word of it. Sometimes I post something with the thought, "Wow, look what these dummies are doing," specifically because I disagree with it. Yet, I may not spell that out, immediately. I want to see what others say first. I think it helps make the forum more interesting. Forums like this are best when they're not more boring than watching paint dry.

Reactions: 2 users

The last one I can remember, PLP was claiming that "Clinda-maya-sin" (phonetic spelling because I hate people that pronounce it like that) was no more likely to result in C.diff that any other antibiotic. Girl had no idea how to read the diagram, let alone the interpretation. None.

But she had been a NURSE for ELEVENTEEN YEARS and KNOWS what SHE'S talking about.

Other words that if you can't pronounce correctly, then I question your medical fund of knowledge include:

FAIR-nix (Pharynx)
Zin-fin-DALE (Zinfandel)

Okay, I threw that last one in because I can't stand overhearing it in conversation.

Overhead once upon a time: "When I saw da spida bite, I called the am-BLEE-ance rideaway!"

How are things like this going to encourage more people to get vaccinated? Doesn’t this plant more doubt into people’s minds that the vaccine is not the best thing since sliced bread? I am just pondering.
I people who see it that way have a misunderstanding of science. Those who understand science should recognize that adjusting recommendations according to the most up to date good data is good science.

Reactions: 3 users

FAIR-nix (Pharynx)
Zin-fin-DALE (Zinfandel)

The one that gets me is 'Lyme's disease'.

I remember in med school specifically the prof had a slide with a town sign of 'Lyme, CT". Thus we picked up that this was named for a town, not a person.

That doesn't even take into consideration the current recs to make any eponymous medical condition non-possessive.

I fully believe a good chunk of med school was to teach us how to not sound like idiots.

I can't blame this on providers, but I laugh a bit when I've heard patients refer to chicken pox as 'chicken pops'...I always envision it as some awful company took those chicken in a bisket crackers and turned them into corn pops nugget form and marketed them as some sort of new snack (that would stay on shelves for 3 months...and not because people are buying all of them).

Last edited:
I can't blame this on providers, but I laugh a bit when I've heard patients refer to chicken pox as 'chicken pops'...I always envision it as some awful company took those chicken in a bisket crackers and turned them into corn pops nugget form and marketed them as some sort of new snack.

I'm just gonna leave that right there.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
... I laugh a bit when I've heard patients refer to chicken pox as 'chicken pops'..
Language skills are strong predictors of success in education, employment, income, upward social mobility and general well being.

I think it's worth noting when an entire nation takes a stance different than ours, on a medical issue, whether I agree with it or not. For that reason, I posted an article on the same issue in a different thread before @ERCAT did. But I'm of the opinion that adolescents are better off getting the vaccine than not. I had my 12 and 15 year olds get it as soon as it was available to them.

But I think people should be able to post a provocative or controversial article, without everyone assuming they agree with every word of it. Sometimes I post something with the thought, "Wow, look what these dummies are doing," specifically because I disagree with it. Yet, I may not spell that out, immediately. I want to see what others say first. I think it helps make the forum more interesting. Forums like this are best when they're not more boring than watching paint dry.
Typically the phrase 'i'll just leave this here' is an indication of a snarky retort using a piece of evidence that contradicts the targets' contention. Most of the time satirical posts are obvious. This, in combination with the OP's history of posting headlines straight from the faux news subculture, lends credence the the response of many here. Another term for posting simply to arouse a certain response from others is 'trolling'.

Sorry for the derail, let's get back to chicken nuggets!