SAWBONES is actually old slang?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Sawbones, my girlfriend and I were watching my collector's edition 1, vol 8 on DVD last night and in one of the episodes they refer to the main character's (who is a doctor) patients as sawbones!

I was like "HEY, there's a sawbones in the forums" (yes, I know what you all are thinking my life has been very uninteresting over break)...

Give us any background/history about this medical slang/term?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't offer you any history, but when I was in podiatry school our "practice bones" that we honed our surgical skills on was called "saw bones".

Whenever my PI (who is almost seventy) talks about me becoming a physician, he says "sawbones" instead of physician. I have heard this in other places as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the term dates back to the early 19th century and refers to a surgeon. The earliest reference they cite in literature is from 1830, in Dickens' Pickwick Papers.

Remember Captain Kirk used to call Dr. McCoy "Bones"? Ah I am such a nerd!

I remember watching a number of Civil War documentaries which used the term "sawbones" repeatedly. Apparently the term, as mentioned above, came en vogue in the 19th century.

Everybody pretty much hit the nail on the head. "Sawbones" and "Leech" were common names for physicians in the 19th century. Perhaps terms like "Bankrupt" or "Defendants" will describe physicians practicing in the 21st century. :D

Originally posted by SawBones
Everybody pretty much hit the nail on the head. "Sawbones" and "Leech" were common names for physicians in the 19th century. Perhaps terms like "Bankrupt" or "Defendants" will describe physicians practicing in the 21st century. :D

said like a true SawBones...