Saving money on the interview trail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onco

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard about 10 interviews being overkill. Would it be ok to just interview as say 6 categorical programs? I would definitely save a lot of money then.

Also, I am slashing off interviews in California/west coast..

Members don't see this ad.

Kal-E-4-Nia who? I am not paying that PTAL.... they can keep their 50 programs... for the price of the PTAL i can send out 22 applications at the price of $25 each. Beat that California.

Kal-E-4-Nia who? I am not paying that PTAL.... they can keep their 50 programs... for the price of the PTAL i can send out 22 applications at the price of $25 each. Beat that California.

That's kinda cryptic...mind decoding that statement for me? PTAL????

:D Looking back now I regret paying like $200 extra for the Cali IM and EM programs.. Plus the 'California letter' fiasco.. :scared:

That's kinda cryptic...mind decoding that statement for me? PTAL????

PTAL = Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter

http://www.medbd.ca.gov/

Required by California to be get into a fellowship or residency in california... costs about $600 and some change. Required by most california programs BEFORE matching and BEFORE they consider givong an interview (couple of exceptions exist where they want it AFTER).

No thank you Arnold Schwarzenegger.

so we have to pay almost 700 dollars to get a PTAL in order to qualify for residency?

And I applied to 4 CAL IM programs and NOW i know of this!!! LOL.

so we have to pay almost 700 dollars to get a PTAL in order to qualify for residency?

And I applied to 4 CAL IM programs and NOW i know of this!!! LOL.

If you're in PR it doesnt apply to you. Its for school outside PR, canada and the US.

One easy way to save $$$ is to of course use hotels that have discounted rates with your interviewing institution and/or have free shuttles from the airport. One thing to ask though which really helps is to call a hotel and ask if they accomodate airline staff like pilots and stewardesses.
I was in Norfolk for an EVMS interview and had an early 5:00AM flight and because the hotel also had airline people there, they always had early morning shuttles-And I really needed it because the first shuttle was full, but luckily they had a second one to the airport for the extra airline staff. :rolleyes: