Save our newborn's cord blood?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lindyhopper

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My wife & I are expecting our first in a month or so. We got the car seat etc. etc.. My parents want to gift to us 25 years of umbilical blood storage. Does anyone have knowledge of whether this is a good idea?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Lindyhopper said:
Hi,
My wife & I are expecting our first in a month or so. We got the car seat etc. etc.. My parents want to gift to us 25 years of umbilical blood storage. Does anyone have knowledge of whether this is a good idea?
Thanks.
Can't hurt, I know it is commonly used now for BMT in CML, but I am sure they will have future uses for it as well.

Lindyhopper said:
Hi,
Thanks.

Did some research on this. Given where medical science is today, if there is a family history of certain diseases, it makes sense. Otherwise, it is highly questionable and therefore a personal decision. My feeling is that companies are preying on the fears and sensitivities of expecting parents for the most part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Koko said:
Did some research on this. Given where medical science is today, if there is a family history of certain diseases, it makes sense. Otherwise, it is highly questionable and therefore a personal decision. My feeling is that companies are preying on the fears and sensitivities of expecting parents for the most part.

Perhaps this is true for personal banking of blood where only YOU have access to it in case of future need of you or your family...

But if your family does not have a history or any other consideration where you want to restrict access, consider public banking. It doesn't cost you anything, and in the future, if any person needs a bone marrow transplant and if they are a match, they can have access to the blood cells.

just my 2 cents

As I keep saying today, I haven't even begun yet, but I just read an article which should at least be considered: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/926273.stm.

In particular, "Recent research carried out by the charity suggests that pre-cancerous cells can be found from birth onwards in children who go on to develop leukaemia.

If this is the case, returning umbilical blood to the same child may lead to renewed cancer a few years later - and by that time, the child may be at an age where chemotherapy is not so effective."

Hopefully you would never have to use the blood for your own child, or the research would at least be more clear by then, but it is something to think about!