Saul T. Wilson scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@alleycat03 I have a few logistic questions for you if you don't mind. What GS level are you at while you're in school/in the pathways program? Is it a ladder position? Also, is your office near your school? And when you are done with school, can you accept a position where you are now or would you have to move? Thanks!
I was a GS-9 (already had a masters). If you apply as a vet school student rather than an undergrad, you should be able to be at least a GS-7.

I think they are split as GS-4/5 and GS-7/9 job announcements, but it is definitely possible to be up to a GS-9.

They've done some real wacky things with recent applicants and put them with far away offices but ones where they could work virtually (COVID related, I guess?). In my year, they generally tried to put people in an office that is either within commuting distance to either your school or your home address if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have a link to these scholarships? Or any ideas on when they open/close? I was accepted to vet school for fall 2027 and would love a timeline for when I should apply (if I decide to)
Put a search into usajobs that sends you a daily email update with any new job postings for it! (If you can't figure out how to do it, pm me and I'll teach you.)

In addition to the Saul T Wilson scholarship there is also one called the Chester Gibson which is to work for APHIS Animal Care.

The scholarships don't open on a reliable timeline, and when they do open they only take applications for about a week before closing.
They will most likely post in the next month, but a lot of the agency is behind on normal work because of constant HPAI responses, so who knows.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Yep! I started as a GS-9.

The requirement in previous STW job postings for a GS-9 is: "Completion of 2 academic years of graduate level education, or a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree."

Doesn't matter what field the degree is in, or if you have TIG. You could just jump to a GS-9.

If it matters, the veterinarian job series is 0701 and veterinary trainees are 0799 (not sure if bio is in the 700s or something else since I've only ever had vet med related job series)

Members don't see this ad :)
Put a search into usajobs that sends you a daily email update with any new job postings for it! (If you can't figure out how to do it, pm me and I'll teach you.)

In addition to the Saul T Wilson scholarship there is also one called the Chester Gibson which is to work for APHIS Animal Care.

The scholarships don't open on a reliable timeline, and when they do open they only take applications for about a week before closing.
They will most likely post in the next month, but a lot of the agency is behind on normal work because of constant HPAI responses, so who knows.
Thank you! Is this something you can only apply for your first year?

They generally won't take you beyond year 1 because they will worry that you won't be able to fulfill the minimum number of hours required (you have to work 640 hours before graduating).

Technically there's not a rule about being further along in school, but you might want to include some info that tells them you recognize that and have a plan about how to get those hours done.

They've been allowing students to do some remote work during the school year the last few years, so maybe they've gotten more lenient about that though.

You need to be able to work the equivalent of 16 full time weeks by the end of vet school. I did it with one 12 week summer plus a 4 weeks split over winter breaks and spring breaks.

• Care
Also, per our job code discussion above... if you put in "0799" as your search criteria, it should pull up the scholarship in the search because that's the numeric code for veterinary interns. Using the job codes is usually the easiest way to search for federal veterinary job imo.

I keep a job search going for all veterinarian jobs, and the only thing I have as a search criteria is keyword "0701" which is the job for vets.

• Care
@britzen Oh okay that's awesome to hear! I'm definitely gonna set up that USAjobs alert. I don't have a full year of TIG as a 7 but if my masters is all I need then I think I'll be good! I'm in 0404 right now and have been in 1315 so totally different but hopefully it might at least give me a leg up in applying and maybe I won't have wasted all these years going nowhere fast in the government haha.

The forest service isn't always very friendly with promotions if you switch series, but I have also heard other departments and agencies are a lot more free with their ladders/promotions. So I kinda always just assume the worst until I find out otherwise haha.

You're def good with just the degree! I had a couple of internships as a GS-7 but not enough to meet a TIG requirement.

When you apply just be sure that you check that GS-9 is the lowest grade you're willing to accept for the position. (If you check that you'd accept a GS-7, they'll make you a GS-7).

There's not a lot of ladder jobs for veterinarians at USDA, but if you're wiling to move geographically you should be able to snag promotions up to at least a GS-14 by the time you retire. The positions are usually 11/12, straight 13, 13/14, straight 14, or straight 15.

It's certainly possible to get up to a GS-15, but obviously there are fewer positions at that level so I'm not sure how much it's a "it's possible but no guarantees" vs "you can probably make that happen for yourself"

New DVMs start as GS-11s unless they have a master's in a relevant discipline in which case you can start as a GS-12. (I did an MPH full degree and started as a 12).

I'll have to come back for a more throughout response later...

Fsis already had their scholarship open and close. They're usually a month or so ahead of Aphis. I was initially hired as a gs7 and got promoted to 9 once I'd finished my second year of vet school. I actually didn't get the scholarship during my first year, but during my second. I was able to get all my necessary hours in thanks to a deployment for VND.

And the process for converting to a VMO after graduation has been much improved. I think my year (2020) was the last year that we just got stuck wherever a warm body was needed. Now they're letting people have a bit more input. I'd expect them offering placements in the veterinary export and trade services (VETS) since they've been trying to boost up their numbers. Someone is definitely getting put in my old job in Laredo this year too 🤣

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Also, per our job code discussion above... if you put in "0799" as your search criteria, it should pull up the scholarship in the search because that's the numeric code for veterinary interns. Using the job codes is usually the easiest way to search for federal veterinary job imo.

I keep a job search going for all veterinarian jobs, and the only thing I have as a search criteria is keyword "0701" which is the job for vets.
Thanks. I’m nervous to apply, as public health is my #1 goal but I have no experience.

Thanks. I’m nervous to apply, as public health is my #1 goal but I have no experience.
Apply. Try it out and then make your fully informed decision if you want to keep doing it after you graduate.

There are more areas then APHIS as well. FDA, CDC, FSIS, etc. So if you don't like one, there's still opportunities out there

You can do it!

Also put up a job search for "pathways veterinary trainee" - it's a much internship to get than the scholarships. Basically you work for usda over school breaks and they guarantee you a job after graduation, just no scholarship money involved.

You can also do an unpaid externship with USDA any time. If you apply to paid things and don't get in, reach out to the student coordinator types and they can help get you set up with a 2-6 (?) week experience. Doing even a few weeks of that will make you more competitive the next time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most jobs above a GS-12 are probably gonna require a move unless you live at a regional or national hub already.

Good to figure out what the local position are for sure though - that will give you an idea of what is potentially available in your area (although you may need to wait for someone to quit, retire, or die to get their job in that case).

If you're not willing to move, I'd advise against a STW. It's almost certainly a guarantee you will have to move to accept your first position out of vet school - the jobs you will be offered will be based on what is available in January of the year you graduate. I got suuuuper lucky to stay where I am, and it's because someone retired after 32 years of holding the job I have now.

If I were you, I'd do a Pathways internship instead. That way you get the experience and are very competitive for jobs that come open where you want to live, but you aren't obligated to take a position to keep your scholarship money if there's not one available that suits your geographically.

If you're not willing to move, I'd advise against a STW. It's almost certainly a guarantee you will have to move to accept your first position out of vet school - the jobs you will be offered will be based on what is available in January of the year you graduate. I got suuuuper lucky to stay where I am, and it's because someone retired after 32 years of holding the job I have now.
Seconding this.

@whateverforever
There is definitely no guarantee that you won't have to move. In fact, I would plan on moving after graduation and be pleasantly surprised if your home office has a position available. I applied for the STW in spring of 2020 and obviously things have changed substantially since I applied. I wish I had known more about the VMO positions available within VS and APHIS as a whole, as I think I would have enjoyed Animal Care a lot more. They will try very hard to put you at a nearby office for the internship part of the program, but you should definitely plan on going somewhere nationwide after vet school. You get more say than they used to allow in previous years (as Teepster mentioned), but you'll probably have to move. Just know that going into it if you decide to apply. If you have any other questions, let us know!

It's open!

GS 7/9

GS 4/5

@alleycat03 okay, thank you. I love what I do now, so I'm pretty bummed to be leaving my current career but I can't keep uprooting my husband and/or living apart from him forever (I've been doing that for 7 years, and now with school I have 4 more to go). If you get the scholarship do you have to take a position immediately after you graduate in order to not pay back the scholarship or is there a grace period? Or (this probably sounds crazy,) are you allowed to do the pathways job but decline take the scholarship?

You have a certain number of days of graduation (I think it is 120). If you graduate in May, you have to start by September.

You don't have to take the scholarship money either, although I'd suggest you just do one of the Pathways internships instead and let someone else take the scholarship if that's the case. The pathways internships don't require you to take a position afterward, they just guarantee you one if you want one.

Oh there are other internships too? Are they the same kind of ladder thing? To be honest a bigger help for me/my spouse is the year round health insurance. My husband has some insanely expensive medications which is what keeps me in the government. Out of pocket is >15k a year so the scholarship would be nice but is less of a concern.

What is the application timeline? When should we get an interview or hear back after referral?

What is the application timeline? When should we get an interview or hear back after referral?
I don't think that they actually do interviews for this. At least I never got interviewed either time I ended up getting awarded this scholarship.

It takes a bit of time for all the application materials to filter through the HR group to the student coordinator. Then they convene 2 panels, one for the GS4/5 application and one for the GS7/9 application, that will review transcripts, statement, and letters or rec. I think we had 2 weeks to get our rankings back to the hiring folks last time I took part in this.

I did not participate in the review panel last year due to being deployed for HPAI. Which was about this time of year. End of May might be when you'd hear back.

I don't think that they actually do interviews for this. At least I never got interviewed either time I ended up getting awarded this scholarship.

It takes a bit of time for all the application materials to filter through the HR group to the student coordinator. Then they convene 2 panels, one for the GS4/5 application and one for the GS7/9 application, that will review transcripts, statement, and letters or rec. I think we had 2 weeks to get our rankings back to the hiring folks last time I took part in this.

I did not participate in the review panel last year due to being deployed for HPAI. Which was about this time of year. End of May might be when you'd hear back.
Oh wow late May is much later than I originally thought! I thought it would be about 40 days from end of application period. Should we expect to receive a definitive "no" if we do not receive the award? Or do they only contact the awardees? Thank you!

Oh wow late May is much later than I originally thought! I thought it would be about 40 days from end of application period. Should we expect to receive a definitive "no" if we do not receive the award? Or do they only contact the awardees? Thank you!
I honestly don't know what happens when people are not selected. The year that I got rejected, I didn't make it past the initial screening step. I got an email saying that I wasn't referred.

You may just receive an email from USA staffing stating that you weren't selected for xx posting.

The folks administering the program also got a bit weird with start dates a few years back. Ie, if you're selected and accept they won't have you start until fall semester begins because they have to be paying tuition, or some other reason that wasn't ever really conveyed to me.

I honestly don't know what happens when people are not selected. The year that I got rejected, I didn't make it past the initial screening step. I got an email saying that I wasn't referred.

You may just receive an email from USA staffing stating that you weren't selected for xx posting.

The folks administering the program also got a bit weird with start dates a few years back. Ie, if you're selected and accept they won't have you start until fall semester begins because they have to be paying tuition, or some other reason that wasn't ever really conveyed to me.
Thanks for the info!

Last year I was notified of my selection in mid-July. I think that was because of HPAI chaos but don’t lose hope if you don’t hear anything for a while!

I think this years notifications are coming

If I haven't gotten an email or call should I assume I didn't get it?

Does anyone have a contact working as a research VMO? I am planning my summer work as a saul t wilson and the supervisor in my state said I had some funds for travel. Most of the stuff I will be doing in my home office will be field work VMO stuff and I would like to spend a week or so getting to see what it would be like to work in a lab. Im particulalry interested in zoonotic disease and one health and I'd love to shadow someone at the national diagnostic lab but my superviosr does not know anyone in these positions. If I can find someone they said I'd be able to add it to my summer work so asking on here 🤞