Saudi school contact info and clinical rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lupitaladra

Reaction score
Hi, I have been trying to reach the clinical departments of several Saudi schools with no luck. No one ever responds to my inquiries.
I want to ask about what my options are for clinical rotations and if I can do them in the US.

if you've gone to a Saudi school, how do I get these guys to get back to me?

Members don't see this ad.

Please clarify your background and what exactly you are trying to do so we can help you better. My guess is that you're a US premedical student with ethnic/family ties to Saudi Arabia trying to get into medical school there because the system here is not preferable either due to your competitiveness or time constraints. Therefore, you're looking to do school in Saudi Arabia instead and are looking to see if you can do clinical rotations in the states. The answer seems to be no. There are some offshore schools like Caribbean schools which offer rotations in NYC or some schools like Sackler allow USCE in the 4th year. I have looked into Saudi schools briefly (Al Faisal, Ibn Sina National College) and none of them seem to offer US rotations, however, there are partnerships between Saudi schools and US residencies. In order to do this you first need to attend a Saudi school recognized by the US.

Medical Programs that are recognized in Saudi Arabia: Batterjee Medical College for Sciences and Technology Jeddah Global Medical College Riyadh Jazan University Jazan King Abdulaziz University Jeddah King Fahad Medical City Riyadh King Faisal University Al Khobar King Faisal University Al-Ahsa King Khalid University Abha King Saud University Riyadh King Saud University for Health Sciences Riyadh Qassim University Burayda Taibah University Al Munawarah Umm Al Qura University Mecca University of Dammam College of Medicine Dammam.

Now for Saudi school to US residency, there are certain US residency programs with SACM (Saudi American Cultural Missions). These are essentially US residency positions reserved for those of Saudi origin. Here is an incomplete list to give you an idea.

-------
Here is why you can't do direct contact US clinical experience in medical school:
The rule of "no patient contact without state licensure" can place limits on U.S. training options for international physicians.
Yet many types of appropriate and potentially valuable programs do exist. These include such options as conferences reviewing the latest clinical developments; "observerships," "visiting clinician programs," or "preceptorships" that allow international professionals to make rounds, practice skills, and study cases with U.S. experts; and intensive hands-on training programs (in some cases designed specifically for an international audience) in areas such as epidemiology and public health. Professionals may also be able to arrange observer-type programs by contacting health care institutions directly (try the director of the international liaison or the continuing education office, if any, or the head of the specialty area of interest). In the initial contact, potential participants should provide information on desired program dates, source of funding, and a curriculum vitae as well as a detailed explanation of what they hope to learn.

Last edited:
I'm an American student studying and doing medical school in the UK area because of my father moving abroad. I was however considering doing medical school in Saudi, so I can comfortably say that I do know about the medical system there. As RedPancreas stated, it is hard to do clinical rotations in the US because there isn't exactly a saudi university like the caribbean that guarantees you to do clinical rotations in the states, however if you were to go into one of their US recognized schools, you can definitely apply for clinical rotations here and do them your last year. They look for good USMLE scores (please focus on the USMLE; for img's no matter how good your grades are and no matter how much research you have USMLE scores are the boss). Since step 1 will be p/f, you can still focus on step 2 and get a solid score. Then, just apply to Med Uni's in the US that do clinical rotations for international students, and there are loads that allow this, but again you do need to be competitive and it also depends on the specialty.