Sat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punjabijatt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all I'd like to THANKS to all those who responded to my queries in
my last thread(Help MCAT) and I came to know that I have to give SAT & not MCAT right now. :)

So I want to know what preperations should I do for it...Which books & websites r best for it.
Any kind of techniques u might know which will be helpful...Is there any specific syllabus I have to do??
How much SAT score should one have so that he can get a scholarship ??
Also does giving SAT II gives u the edge over other students?

I have visited their official site www.collegeboard.com, are there any more sites from where I can get info?

U might be wondering I am asking so many Qs but try to understand my situ. I am India and doesn't know much about this?

Also My scores for 12th class are following, can u tell me what would be its GPA. :confused:
English 82 A1
Biology 88 A1
Physics 65 B2
chemistry 63 B2
Physical.Edu 76 B1
Work experience A1
Phy & Health Edu A2
General Studies A2

Hope U'll help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Physics 65
Chemistry 63
Physical edu 76

ye hai asli jatt!

Welcome back! :) ;)

Remember punjabijatt-ji that you don't need the SAT for Canadian schools (you're headed for Calgary), only for American schools. Canadian schools only look to see if you have completed certain courses to join their programs.

Scholarships at Canadian universities are handed out if you meet certain averages (ex. at York University, in order to get an entrance scholarship, one must have a minimum of 85% average in their final year of highschool.... to get a Science scholarship, you needed a min. of 90%).

Members don't see this ad :)
sunny123 said:
Remember punjabijatt-ji that you don't need the SAT for Canadian schools (you're headed for Calgary), only for American schools. Canadian schools only look to see if you have completed certain courses to join their programs.
Yes I know that(Thanks to U) but I am keeping the options. coz many of my relatives r in USA also it won't be a problem studying there.So I am free here right now and besides if one wants he can utilize his free time in some good manner. So why not give these tests and gain some qualification?? Besides I'll also come to know something about how the test r conducted in USA & Canada especially of English.

DrGarfield said:
Physics 65
Chemistry 63
Physical edu 76

ye hai asli jatt!
Haha... :laugh:
Paaji, Jatt da jis vich interest hoi us de ta phatte chak dende han! !
te jis vich interest nahi, us vich ta tang he tapai de hai..
I just love Biology thats why I choose to be in Medical
But its not like that we can't do it.
If somebody challenges me or a need arises I can top Physics, Chemistry also.

SAT requires a lot of reading experience.A lot of math as well.Best thing for you is to practice and review all basic math .It is not a hard test but requires a lot of management.There are a lot of Prep courses,some people can get help and others do not.From looking at your scores it seems you need a lot of brush up in science.Any more help ask your relatives to help you with booklet.Good luck

punjabijatt said:
Haha... :laugh:
Paaji, Jatt da jis vich interest hoi us de ta phatte chak dende han! !
te jis vich interest nahi, us vich ta tang he tapai de hai..
I just love Biology thats why I choose to be in Medical
But its not like that we can't do it.
If somebody challenges me or a need arises I can top Physics, Chemistry also.

Which is why some of us top in all the subjects pj, to show *ssholes like Dr. Garfield what it's all about.

Hi Guys
I was wondering that, I will have to give IELTS & SAT tests. and SAT test consists of English & Maths.
So if I give the IELTS test before the SAT, would it help me in improving my english and getting me more scores on the english section of SAT?

Also I saw this book in my local library :

"2005-2006 Edition
Princetown Review
CRACKING THE NEW SAT MATH I & MATH II
"

Is this book worth buying?
Please enlighten me on these points :)

Get "10 Real SATs," I believe it is by Princeton Review as well. If IELTS is an Indian test, than yes. It won't be on your transcripts and studying for it and the test itself will help you on the SATs.

What the he......? :confused:
No response to my queries. :smuggrin:
Guys, Please donate some amount of ur precious time & try to help me?
I am sure most of U have given SAT, so please tell me any tips or tricks u have which might be helpful to me?
I came to this India thread coz I thought atleast the Indians will help me?
So please any info regarding SAT.Please.
and there is one more imp Q which I have. I visited sites of many UNIVs and in their requirements section for admission they ask for "Letter of REcommendation"
I know my old teachers and they can write these letter of recommendation for me
but I don't know what should I ask them to write in it? :confused:
Can u guys tell me the format for these kind of letter of recommendation.
What should be written in it?
Please
Waiting for ur replies.

Hi Crete! :)
Thanks for ur reply yaar. :love:
I had seen ur post after what I have written above but still more info will be helpful.

punjabijatt said:
What the he......? :confused:
No response to my queries. :smuggrin:
Guys, Please donate some amount of ur precious time & try to help me?
I am sure most of U have given SAT, so please tell me any tips or tricks u have which might be helpful to me?
I came to this India thread coz I thought atleast the Indians will help me?
So please any info regarding SAT.Please.
and there is one more imp Q which I have. I visited sites of many UNIVs and in their requirements section for admission they ask for "Letter of REcommendation"
I know my old teachers and they can write these letter of recommendation for me
but I don't know what should I ask them to write in it? :confused:
Can u guys tell me the format for these kind of letter of recommendation.
What should be written in it?
Please
Waiting for ur replies.

Hi Crete! :)
Thanks for ur reply yaar. :love:
I had seen ur post after what I have written above but still more info will be helpful.

Hey Jatt,

You would be surprised how helpful non-Indians can be as well! Pre-Allo maybe not but give it a shot! The biggest mistake I made was NOT studying for SATs, so get those books and keep cranking through questions. As for LORs, you want them to briefly explain who they are and how they know you in the first paragraph, then go on explaining why you are one of, if not the best student they ever came across and what character traits make you so damn good for whatever you are applying to (undergrad I'm assuming)! If they are not familiar with the process, ask to write it yourself and have them sign to make it easier on them (be very nice when you ask), or read it before they seal it. Make sure they mention in the letter that you have not seen it and waived your right to do so. PM if any more qs; good luck.