Sample Personal Statements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgv

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I knew there was a website that gave away free personal statements. I found it but the links didn't work. I had use the waybackmachine

http://predds.net/personal-statement-guide/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As I graduated from high school into adulthood eleven long years ago, I had no idea that I would one day apply for dental school. There are actually very few things that I have done since high school that I would have foreseen when I was handed my diploma. Yet, looking back on the past few years, I can imagine no journey that could be as exciting, fulfilling, and beneficial to my potential career as dentist as the experiences that have made me who I am today.

My time at Ball State University as a music composition major was split between writing music, playing bassoon in a number of musical ensembles, and pursuing a variety of other academic interests. I spent many hours every week in ensemble rehearsals and personal practice on top of the time given to composing and coursework. In addition, I had to make my own bassoon reeds in order to play. I devoted several hours every week to the shaping and carving of these small, delicate reeds from raw pieces of cane.

Despite the amount of work I put into music, I was never sure that I wanted to make a career out of playing bassoon and writing music. My interest in people and human interactions led me to take several anthropology courses, and then to accept a graduate position teaching music history at Ball State after graduating. From the first week of class I knew that whatever I did in the future, it had to involve working with and helping other people. At the same time my girlfriend and future wife was encouraging me to apply for an English-teaching position in Japan through the JET Program.
Motivated by my current teaching position and desire to try something new, I applied for and
received a job in Sapporo, Japan beginning in July 2002.

The JET Program provided me with numerous experiences that I feel are invaluable to my potential future as a dentist. This job not only gave me the chance to become fluent in a new language, but also the opportunity to work with children and adults from a completely different culture. This developed my ability to listen carefully, work in large groups, and compromise.

It was after the birth of our son in 2004 that I decided to go back to school to pursue a new career. I wanted a career that was both challenging and secure, a job at which I would be able to fulfill my potential while at the same time allow me to support my family. A good friend of mine, [omitted name], suggested that I go into dentistry. [omitted name], himself a dentist graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, loves his career and thought I would enjoy it as well. After some research and
consultation with others, I saw that my friend was right: dentistry would provide me with a
challenging, fulfilling occupation and a chance to work with and help others. Equally as
important, a successful career in dentistry would give me the time and financial means to
support my family. I soon began making plans to go back to university in preparation for
dental school.

Over the past year, I have completed most of my prerequisites for dental school with a 4.00 GPA. I have found my course work stimulating and exciting, and the maturity and sense of responsibility I have gained since Ball State has helped me to work toward the highest standards with a minimal amount of stress. Despite family, school, and part-time work as an English teacher, I spend several hours every week volunteering at the Matthew 25 Health and Dental Clinic in Fort Wayne, Indiana as a dental volunteer and working with [omitted name] at IPFW as a research assistant in his
plant biology laboratory. My time assisting [omitted name] and the staff at Matthew 25 has allowed
me to gain experience working in a dental office. My work with [omitted name] focused on testing for the reactivity of aminoglycosides with various gelling agents, giving me hands-on experience and responsibility in a research laboratory. Both volunteering and research has become something I really love to do and hope to continue throughout dental school and beyond.

Looking back on my experiences since high school, I realize that the course I chose was hardly typical of most who dream of becoming a dentist. Yet, were I given the chance to do it again, I would do nothing different. I feel that the amount of time I have spent training my hands, learning to work with people from various backgrounds, and coming to shoulder a variety of responsibilities will prove invaluable to my future career as a dentist.

Last edited:
Shake vigorously and pour over ice. Bring to a boil and add two pinches of salt. Is Windows not starting up? Not a problem, just reformat. Bartending, cooking and computer maintenance are activities that are not usually seen as being related to one another. Despite their differences, these are hobbies that I thoroughly enjoy. Over time, I began to notice that these activities accentuated certain skills that I possessed, especially manual dexterity. Though I had little career direction upon entering college, deeper consideration while volunteering in India, followed by an internship as a dental student, enabled me to find my own social conscience and the passion and confidence to pursue a career in dentistry.

Bartending and cooking are skills that I ultimately developed due to my childhood interest in mixing different foods and liquids. Mixing vinegar with baking soda was my idea of a good time. Many of my test subjects, also known as my immediate family, disapproved of my early ventures. Still, I kept on trying new recipes. By the time I was halfway through college, I finally had honed my skills to a level where I knew which ingredients could be blended together successfully. Simultaneously, I became certified in basic computer maintenance. Fixing computers allowed me to test myself as there was always a challenge involved in solving each unique problem. Sometimes I would have to open up a computer and manually replace certain parts, many of which could only be seen indirectly. In most cases though, I had to fix subsurface issues before I could tackle the problems that appeared on the interior.

I spent many hours in my kitchen and basement, trying to figure out what I could mix or repair next. With my ever improving bartending and cooking skills, I satisfied people in a way that was different from most visceral pleasures. Computer maintenance, on the other hand, allowed me to develop my own problem-solving skills while also fine-tuning my ability to work in enclosed spaces. I correlated my talents as a bartender, chef and “certified geek,” with my healthcare experience abroad, and I soon discovered dentistry as a profession.

During the summer before my senior year of high school, I traveled to Surat, India to shadow two practicing dentists. One of their offices was part of the federal hospital while the other office was a private practice dental clinic. Although each office served a different population, I could see that my mentors had special connections with each patient. This bond allowed them to provide the highest level of care possible, which reflected their true passion for dentistry. In addition to the interpersonal aspect of dentistry, I gained invaluable knowledge about the financial aspect of the field. Between the offices, there was a marked difference in the budget of patients who came to the federal clinic as opposed to the private practice. With that in mind, Dr. X provided her patients with the best treatment plans according to her expertise. She looked past any shortcomings the patient had and treated them with respect. What I took away from this experience is that professional oral care should not be compromised due to a patient’s financial situation. Despite the variety of patients a dentist may encounter, each patient deserves expert care.

I did not realize it then, but the hobbies and real-life experiences I participated in at that juncture in my life would profoundly affect my career choice. An internship at the New Jersey Dental School illustrated life as a dental student. I was fortunate enough to utilize the same materials that current dental students use and I enjoyed applying them in preclinical applications. The subsequent clinical demonstrations showed me the correlation between the activities I valued and the technical, scientific, and interpersonal aspects of dentistry. The program taught me that dentists are doctors with a social conscience, possessing an ability to relate to their patients on a far more personal level not usually seen in other fields of healthcare. I now realize that the hobbies I still enjoy also have an individual aspect to them. It is the prospect of satisfying a different palate or tackling a problem that I have not seen before that really fuels my curiosity. By obtaining a dental degree, I will be able to relate to people on an individual basis and solve their unique problem, preferably by filling a cavity rather than repairing their hard drive.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.” This is just one of Mother Teresa’s great quotes concerning the spread of love and peace. Although a smile is beautiful whether it ranks A1 or A4 on the vita shade guide, my ultimate goal is to make people want to smile. That generally means keeping a strong and vibrant smile well into their older years. In essence, that is what a good dentist does. He attempts to preserve good teeth, and salvage damaged ones such that their patients’ smiles last strong and long.
My desire to pursue dentistry makes good sense to me. I love working with my hands, and I enjoy working with people. During my time as a student intern at my school’s dental clinic, my desire to pursue the field of dental health was further confirmed. I was fortunate in that the head dentist, [omitted name] took me under her wing and showed me what being a dentist really means. In addition to letting me shadow her while doing procedures and explaining to me step by step what she was doing, she displayed to me one of the characteristics that I believe is most essential to being a great dentist. [omitted name] speaks to her patients in such a kind and generous manner, and really displays a genuine care for them. She has such a friendly way about her, which makes all of her patients like and trust her. It is not only her patients that she treats well; she treats the entire staff at the clinic with the same level of care. Her friendly demeanor makes everyone happy to work with her. Having had the opportunity to learn from [omitted name] and see the satisfaction that she derives from her work makes me very eager to pursue a career in dentistry. I look forward to the job satisfaction and gratification from my job.
Besides my experience at the clinic, during my entire four years at UCSB, I have worked as a supervisor at one of the on campus dining commons. While it may not be the most glamorous job, it has been a great way for a hungry college student to get by. Though I stay there primarily for the food, I found it to be a great opportunity to take on a little more responsibility besides just my school work. This job helped me to develop the necessary interpersonal skills to deal with stubborn student workers in a fair and professional manner, ensuring that everything gets done to the manager’s expectations. Dentists always have assistants working with them, and they have to maintain a friendly professional relationship, while making sure that everything gets completed with the highest levels of professionalism. This is especially true since they are working with people in a health professions setting. Although the relationship between being a dentist and having a supervisory role in a dining commons is rather remote, I feel that my experiences at the dining commons would help me as a health professional as well.
Additionally, I recently became a mentor with the Santa Barbara’s Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse mentor program. The goal of this mentor program is to help children who come from broken homes, victims of the devastating effects of alcohol and drug abuse. I have been privileged to get to visit a really cool fourth grade elementary school student at Isla Vista Elementary School once a week and help him with homework, and get to play games with him, and just really get to become good friends. I love how something as simple as helping a kid read, or playing some ball together, or even just sitting and talking, can really make a difference in a kid’s life. I know it makes a difference in mine. Although these experiences may fall outside of the scope of pursuing dentistry, I feel that they do loop back to the whole scheme of spreading love to others, which I believe to be key in any type of health care profession.

Last edited:
“My interest in the medical field blossomed while working as an engineer for Dr. [example]. I researched and developed medical devices from his ideas. Before attending college, I had considered entering the medical profession, but as an impatient teenager I did not want to commit to the years of education required to achieve this. While working as an engineer, I realized that I wanted more control and understanding of the medical aspects and ideas behind the projects. I also realized that I wanted more from my career than being an engineer and that I was drawn again to practicing in the medical field. I explored my options to attain these goals, and used [example] Laboratories’ credo of “fear and pain management through innovation” to guide my thought process. During this process, I considered different medical fields and was drawn to dentistry. While talking with family and friends, I discovered that one medical field they commonly fear is dentistry. A 2003 ADA study confirmed this anecdotal conclusion: more than 21% of Americans reported that they avoid routine dental care for “fear of pain.” The prospect of being a dentist intrigued me and after much thought I developed the following long term goals: to practice dentistry for a number of years, and to use a combination of engineering and dentistry to develop technological innovations in the field of dentistry that help alleviate patient pain and fear.
Once I decided to pursue dentistry, I completely devoted myself to it. I resigned from my job in June of 2005, after completing my commitments to the current project, moved to [example], and started working on the dental school prerequisites less than one week later.
This is the perfect time for me to attend dental school. I am happy with my family’s situation in [example], and I have the full support of my wife and our parents to help with raising our two sons. Working as an engineer for five years, and my wife being a fulltime teacher, gives us the ability to accomplish this with limited financial concerns.
So far, biology classes have proven more interesting than any of my engineering classes ever did. I have surely driven my wife, as well as my registered nurse mother-in-law, crazy talking about what I have learned in school. Shadowing Dr. [example], DDS, allowed me to see the day to day activities of a successful dental practice, and I enjoyed every minute of it. While volunteering at [example] I also realized I have a compassionate side, and I can see myself volunteering my services as a licensed dentist. All of these preparations for dental school confirm to me that I have made the correct decision.”

“In ceramic art, there is a concept called the “happy accident.” It is an unexpected deviation from the plan that brings about a better outcome. Chipping my tooth on a microphone was my life altering “happy accident.” It was the precursor for a series of events that has led me to pursue a career in dentistry. Unlike some of my friends, my interest in dentistry is relatively new. However, my clinical, classroom, and voluntary experiences in this past year and a half have fostered and grown my interest exponentially.

Before dentistry, I was going to be an English teacher. My early volunteer and teaching-related activities were geared toward that goal. I built strong relationships with my students and had early successes tutoring kids such as “Rachelle” and “Aaron” in remedial writing courses. I swelled with pride watching them graduate and move to the next phases of their lives: a future physical therapist and politician respectively.
Classroom teaching, however, was a different experience. I felt that my good rapport one-on-one with the students never translated into an ability to teach in a whole classroom setting. I realized I was in the wrong profession. I felt useless as a classroom teacher and left school each night feeling emotionally drained and deficient.

Then fate brought me “Writer’s Workshop,” a seniors’ career and community service course. While helping students research how to become policemen, engineers, and nurses, I secretly searched for a new career path for myself as well.

With a burgeoning interest in health and nutrition and a resolute attitude to test my varied health career interests, I began taking science courses. Certain fields arrested my attention more quickly than others. Working alongside health educators, administrators, nutritionists, and physicians in several organizations, I learned about their daily work experiences. I worked with clinic administrators but found the bureaucracy disenchanting. I shadowed physicians and PAs but found their usually overbooked and rushed patient schedules unsuited to my personality. Before I knew it, a year and a half had passed.

That is when a serendipitous slap in the face by a microphone chipped my tooth and woke me up to the possibility of dentistry. Uninsured and without a regular dentist, I asked a friend studying dentistry to suggest a doctor. I went for a new cap but learned I also had two visits worth of cleanings and caries to fix. As painful to my pocketbook as these visits were, the time I spent in the office led me to consider dentistry, a field possessing everything I had been seeking.

My dentist spent as much time with me as she saw fit and never seemed harried or rushed. Moreover, she took time to find out about the person beyond the caries, plaque, and chips. In three office visits, we found out each others’ opinions about having children, good Thai and Vietnamese food, horseback riding, shoulder exercises, ceramics, and school politics. After learning why I had returned to school, she encouraged me to observe her and her husband, an orthodontist. Over a year later, I have now observed a dozen different dentists in varied clinical specialties. I found that dentistry incorporates many of my interests: sculpture, ceramics, and chemistry. More importantly, the small office atmosphere and generous time one has with patients was what I had been seeking yet found lacking in other health fields.

I now take preventive dentistry courses and participate in two pre-dental clubs. I try to fill areas of need. At SDSU, I am now working on new oral health outreach programs to middle and high school students. As a preschool coordinator and class clinic leader, I’ve given hygiene demonstrations to many students and children. A warmness washes over me as I recall one preschooler who whispered “I like you” in my ear after I gave his class a hygiene lecture.
I find myself passionately throwing my efforts into dentistry, eager to learn. I recently watched a dental study group do gold restorations, attended a lecture on dental implants, and took the UCLA wax-up course. This summer, I will be continuing to volunteer in two dental offices, work in the UCSD student-run free clinics, and take a partial denture lab course. I hope that I can continue or exceed the superb level of skill and community outreach of the dentists I have met. I know if I try hard in dental school and my practice, I can make a difference in the health of those in my communities.”

Reactions: 1 users
“Dentistry has been around me my whole life and is a family tradition. My dad went to dental school when I was two years old, and a few years later both of his brothers did too. They now practice in the Pacific Northwest, where I grew up. This close proximity enabled me to see the life of a dentist first hand. Every family get together included discussions about the profession. Such exposure gave me the desire to continue the family tradition and become a dentist myself. I’ve come to recognize why dentistry is well-suited for me and several reasons why I am well-suited for dentistry.
One reason dentistry appeals to me is that it is a respectable career which provides an important public service. I have always enjoyed seeing the esthetic improvement dentistry offers to patients. A procedure as simple as a crown can dramatically increase the patient’s self esteem.
Another reason is that I love the academics dentistry offers. The curriculum in dental school is challenging, and a love of biology and chemistry is important. As I continue to mature as a student, I learn to love school more. I have taken a pre-dental orientation class at UVSC which increased my desire to become a dentist. The class covered facial anatomy, dental terminology, tooth morphology, and dental materials and included weekly tooth carving and wax-up labs. I feel that I am prepared and ready for the courses in dental school.
Dentistry also appeals to me because of the lifestyle it offers. I was married in December of 2001 and have two kids. My family is my number one priority and dentistry can provide the flexibility and income that would allow us to spend time with each other.
As I have become more excited about a career in dentistry I have worked to prepare myself to succeed in this field. Becoming a dentist takes a lot of time, devotion, and hard work. I have become accustomed to working long hours through the courses I have taken at Utah Valley State College, a school that is quickly earning the reputation of having a rigorous science program. The long hours I have learned to devote to my school work will pay off next April, when I will graduate with a Bachelors degree in Biology. I have also become familiar with hard work from the jobs I have held while raising money for school. The hardest job I had was as a general laborer for a construction business. We spent a month repairing a school roof lined with corrugated metal in 100 degree weather. This job also gave me more motivation to stay in school to become a dentist.
I have also prepared by learning to work with a variety of people. My experiences with the Boy Scouts of America helped teach me about the community around me and how to associate with its members. As a Boy Scout I was able to work closely with others to earn the Eagle Scout Award. From 1999 to 2001 I served an ecclesiastical mission in the Netherlands, where I learned many important life skills. For two years I learned how to approach people and help them with different aspects of their lives, both spiritually and socially. I met people from all over the world with different religious and political backgrounds. I learned to appreciate many cultures by serving and associating with them. As with most service, I gained a lot more than I was able to give. One of the most rewarding jobs I had that taught me how to interact with customers was running my own lawn aeration business. This summer job taught me how to stay motivated, and I learned how to work efficiently and please my customers at the same time by doing a quality job.
Finally, I have prepared through observing dentists. I have gained valuable shadowing experience with [omitted name]. Observing [omitted name] let me see a different office setting than that of my families. [omitted name] practices general dentistry and the relaxed atmosphere he has created is something I would like to emulate in my practice. I have been able to help in the office by assisting chair side, taking radiographs, making temporaries, and working in sterilization. During the time at [omitted name]'s office I have been able to see many root canals, crown preparation and placement, and fillings.
School, jobs, my family, and the associations I have with those around me have helped me to set a goal to be successful in all that I do. With this goal, the aspects of dentistry that appeal to me, and the desire to continue the family tradition, I feel that I am ready for the formal education that dental school has to offer.
Dentistry isn’t all work though, it can be fun. My schoolmates and I have a blast in our classes, and I look forward to the same comradery in dental school. Becoming a dentist is not easy, and the decision to become one requires serious reflection.”

Last edited:
“Our experiences shape who we are and ultimately helps us decide our path. My decision to pursue dentistry was based on a series of important events over the past several years, starting from the day my braces were finally removed when I was sixteen. My orthodontist took great pride in his work as I initially displayed my new smile. I was ecstatic because I had crooked teeth since childhood and was always hesitant to smile even when I wanted to. I will forever be grateful to my orthodontist and I felt that whatever I end up choosing as a career should positively affect people in a meaningful way. The road to my decision was a long and important one with many unexpected curves along the way.

Upon graduating from high school, I took pride in winning awards and scholarships for community involvement and academic excellence because the awards gave me greater confidence in my abilities. Following my freshman year of university, healthcare became an attractive career path because of the respectability, growing demand and presented many challenges. Dentistry, medicine and research were professions which appealed to me the most. Unsure which option to pursue, I began consulting with people in those specializations to help decide which career suited me the best.

My dentist, [omitted name] gave me a chance to learn about the dental profession. I assisted in office work while observing procedures from checkups to root canals and saw the dexterity needed in a dentist. I was most fascinated with cosmetic procedures; in particular the placement of dental crowns. [omitted name] prided himself in being an artist as he carefully altered the contours of the crown using his tools, ensuring the crown matched the original tooth and in accordance with the patient’s bite. As a teenager, I enjoyed activities requiring fine use of my hands such as playing the flute and building plastic models. Being able to work with my hands, use neat tools and show off my artistic ability led me to seriously consider dentistry. Before getting too excited about cosmetic procedures, [omitted name] said, “The main job of a dentist is to relieve a patient’s pain”. I recall an event when a patient came in during an emergency with great pain from an infected wisdom tooth. Following extraction of the tooth, the pain subsided. The patient was incredibly grateful to my dentist although I cannot understand Mandarin; I sensed the relief in the patient’s voice. Seeing the patient’s expression brought back memories of the time my braces were removed. At that moment I knew for certain I wanted to become a dentist in order to help people feel the same sense of gratitude that we experienced by providing superior care.

Shadowing a dentist has shown me the unique challenges they face everyday. Similarly, being a cashier at an organic grocery store has allowed me to tackle many scenarios from rare product requests to calming down visibly angry customers; honing my interpersonal and problem solving abilities in the process as these skills are vital to overcome any obstacles presented. Successful dentists must be able to earn the patient’s trust and ease their worries. Working as a floor service volunteer at a hospital, I provided company and reassurance to patients uncomfortable with the surroundings. Volunteering gave me a better understanding of society and a greater sense of compassion to help those in need. In addition, the experience developed my patient interaction skills in preparation for a career in dentistry.

From talking to current dental students, I realize that dental school can be difficult and perseverance is required to succeed. Studying a lab intensive program such as molecular biology provided a challenging curriculum and valuable research opportunities. Last year, my efforts were rewarded as I accepted the University (Senate) Scholarship. The award demonstrated my ability to achieve a high level of academic success in a demanding program resulting from a strong devotion to learning. A continuous commitment to learn and improve in dentistry is imperative for providing excellent care given the constant enhancement of procedures such as dental implants. My experiences have helped me mature as a person and prepared me for the rigors of a pre-doctoral dental program. I have complete confidence in my decision to pursue dentistry and understand the lifelong dedication necessary in order to fulfill my personal and professional goals. Thank you for your consideration.”

Although humans are certainly not the fastest or strongest species in existence, our cognitive abilities prove distinctive. I am humbled at what intelligence has been able to create. Each member of our society is dependent on others, and becoming the best we can individually is important to function as a harmonious collective. While not always knowing what my future may hold, giving my most genuine effort has always felt rewarding and expected. These beliefs have granted me a commendable trait, profuse heart.
As most students entering college, excitement had consumed me. I stood on the Pennsylvania State University unaccompanied by a specific major, and wondering where my path may lead. Making a promise to push myself with all I had was my initial step, and biology had quickly struck my liking. Feeling wired to think along the principles I was presented with in my physiology courses, my curiosity and questioning were difficult to satiate. Appreciating the complexity of the human body had unleashed my interest of evolutionary science. I had finally found myself a niche, and my academic passion was encouraging.
After my sophomore year I had time to reflect on a career. I was armed with an unscathed transcript, and several awards for performing such tasks. I remember opening the Occupational Outlook Handbook, and never reading past Dentist. Upon literally seeing the word everything had immediately clicked. Perhaps a grander tale could be to my benefit, but I believe my passion has shown through sufficiently.
Chasing the need for a robust academic performance, I was not willing to leave questions unanswered. I am an individual who enjoys the feeling of accomplishment after giving forth my grandest and most sincere effort. A developmental biology exam junior year had rewarded such training. I achieved the highest score in a class of over 500 fellow students. Walking into my professor’s office, I was immediately invited to join his research team. I felt such an opportunity would defend my intellectual capacity, and ability to become a competent dentist. While balancing a course load and research position, I literally sensed drive exceeding my skin. Describing this feeling is difficult, as is fully understanding it myself.
The remainder of my college experience, I woke up each day reflecting on my goals. Many tasks which I would complete, I did with the thoughts of future dentistry. I began shadowing dentists and specialists, and immediately appreciated the intricacies of such a career. I believe a cherished dentist is not only a master of the manual craft, but unsurpassed people skills create the elite. Dentists are honored personal time with each patient, no matter how brief. I enjoy comforting others, and minuscule time is all I need to settle them.
The drive I hold within is unextinguishable. I literally feel the emotion running throughout my body. It is my force, my gift, and my key to excellence. Becoming a member of The Golden Key International Society is a valued accomplishment. Members of this society are amongst the top fifteen percent in the university, and receiving an invitation was rewarding. This opportunity has allowed me to communicate with future professionals of my generation, which proves invaluable. Members enjoy ‘giving back’ to the community via volunteer work, and peer mentoring. I have performed community service with these individuals, heavily participated in Thon activities, and donated countless hours at my local church. Helping others is the most rewarding aspect of my existence, and I believe I have strength in this field.
My future patients are a gift of mine, and becoming a proficient dentist is the least I can do for them. I plan on utilizing a year to begin studying the literature seen throughout a dental school experience. I believe this is going to be my secret to success. I will continue dental shadowing and scientific research in which I am already engulfed. Testing the accuracy of ancestral phylogenetic trees has proved stimulating. I earned a co-authorship on one publication, with several more actively being pursued. I became addicted to giving my fullest effort, in every situation, every single time. Many of my professors were eager to write a letter of their belief in my potential. Teach me how to become a valued dentist. Let me absorb. Let me flourish. Let me inspire.

"Working as a software engineer inspired me to pursue a career in dentistry. This is the kind of talk that gives people perplexed looks. At first glace, one might assume that the two fields are as contrasting as day and night. However, being exposed to both fields helped me define a connection.

As a software developer, I was required to constantly engage my critical thinking, my mental capacity to resolve problems by paying close attention to requirement details. As I spent time observing dentists, I realized they have a remarkable ability to detect details, allowing them to be extremely crafty with their problem solving skills. On top of that, I also noticed dentists are excellent communicators not only with patients, but coworkers as well.

My initial spark toward dentistry began when I shadowed my sister, who is a general practice dentist. The first interesting aspect I noticed was the interpersonal relationships she had with her patients. It was encouraging to see how much science and art goes into treating a patient, yet at the same time, how important it was to build interactive relationships. This was my first eye opener, a way to look further into dentistry and into health care in general.

I spent about a year and half being a care companion volunteer at a hospital, where I was fortunate enough to observe physicians and nurses interact with inpatients. I also spent some time shadowing our family physician at his internal medicine office. I started to compare the various health care fields to one another. This is when I quickly learned how unique dentistry really is.

Dentists are detail-oriented, strong communicators, and possess a great deal of manual dexterity. These are the fundamental principles governing every dental office I shadowed in and most importantly, these are the qualities I have come to appreciate in a career. I consider myself as someone with good motor skills, especially with projects around the house. However, I have never had the privilege to use my hands at a critical level like that of a dentist. It is inspiring to know that one day, with the right amount of training and experience, I can reach such high standards of manual aptitude. When I compared the inner working of a dental practice with every other field I have been exposed to, I discovered that dentistry has the best career balance between being a meticulous problem solver and being interactive with people. This was a crucial component of my decision to pursue health care.

I understand that simply being passionate about dentistry cannot be enough grounds for a competitive application. What makes me stand out is, not only that I maintained a perfect 4.0 GPA in post-baccalaureate studies but, more importantly, my experience in life. Over the years, I have learned to work under pressure and maintain a strong sense of urgency to meet deadlines. I am confident to say, these encounters, have prepared me to handle the challenges of a demanding dental curriculum. I would like to conclude that my self-discipline combined with my ability to handle upper level sciences and my desire for this field will ultimately lead to my success in your dental school."

Can you do us a favor and report which essays belong to who, or tell us how many interviews and acceptances they received? I emailed and tweeted at that site admin a couple months ago to see if he could fix the links but he never replied. Thank you

Can you do us a favor and report which essays belong to who, or tell us how many interviews and acceptances they received? I emailed and tweeted at that site admin a couple months ago to see if he could fix the links but he never replied. Thank you
They are or were all in dental school. If you use the waybackmachine you can figure out exactly how many dental schools they got in for yourself...i also intentionally left out names...

Members don't see this ad :)
WAIT... you're a bassoon player too? That's awesome - Double Reeds FTW!

Edit: Just realized the first one isn't necessarily yours.

WAIT... you're a bassoon player too? That's awesome - Double Reeds FTW!

Edit: Just realized the first one isn't necessarily yours.
yeahhh...i don't play the bassoon...and i would never put my crappy personal statement in here. i probably spent more time on my secondaries than on my PS

below is my PS from the AASDAS cycle 2013. I am getting a lot of PMs requesting for it so I figured I might as well post it here. I know some people are iffy about sharing PS, but I think there's more benefit to the whole sharing caring philosophy.

Accepted: UPenn, UCSF, GRU, Pittsburgh
Waitlisted: Buffalo
Denied all the wayyy. Haters gon hate: Columbia, Harvard, Case Western, Boston, Louisville

====================================================

Dear Dentistry,

It is rare for someone to address you directly, but I have to tell you how much I am in love with you. I remember being introduced to you as a child when one of my teeth fell out while eating an apple. Although our romance had a rocky start, you’ve been here with me all along: through ten fillings, two crowns, and the ubiquitous adolescent rite of passage - the extraction of my wisdom teeth. I recall all of those moments looking at my teeth, being fascinated by the grooves and pits of my teeth, comparing the artistry of my crowned bridge to the honesty of my natural teeth. Yet it wasn’t until I began to shadow Dr. Silverman that I realized how wonderful our lives would be… together. During my experiences with him, I realized that Dr. Silverman's patients gained an appreciation for their teeth and oral health due to his kind treatments and his emphasis on preventative education. I enjoyed learning from him. One moment, he would talk about the cosmetic aspect of bridge design and the next, he would passionately describe the formation of wisdom teeth. Under his guidance, I realized that a life with you -- dentistry -- would allow me to engage in a flexible and diverse work experience,rewarding doctor-patient interactions, and the general philanthropy of preserving the smile of another human being.

I should warn you, dentistry: I have had other passions. However, they were not infidelities but preparatory acts that deepened my commitment to a lifelong relationship with you. I love creating and recreating beautiful things, whether it’s a carefully embroidered garden landscape using over twenty colors of neatly stitched thread, a nineteenth-century English-style theatre set with ten feet high walls and a meticulously cut frame molding or the demanding viola part of Beethoven's infamous Ninth Symphony. My ten years of musical training have instilled in me a disciplined manual dexterity. I know the importance of a millimeter. As a violist in the Emory Symphony Orchestra, it’s the distance between two distinct notes. As a theatre carpenter, it’s the difference between stability and imbalance while maintaining the aesthetics of the set. Being a member of many set construction teams, I've attained literal hands-on experience with screw guns, impact drivers, table saws and other tools. Dentistry, I know what it takes for us to succeed.

You perfectly combine health care and art. In my shadowing experiences in private clinics, free clinics, and free dental day volunteering, I have encountered patients in possession of their deciduous teeth well into their twenties. Some were missing bicuspids. I still remember one patient using her wisdom tooth as a part her set. Authored by genetics, environment, and circumstance, each mouth is a unique work of art. It is that inherent variety that excites me. I feel equipped to enter these next four years of our relationship with the skills I have cultivated in my other passions, my natural inclination toward detail and handiwork, and the sense of inner peace and fulfillment I feel when I envision our future together.

"A smile is a gift." Told to Emory neuroscience students by the director of my study abroad program in Paris, this simple phrase resonated with me, because it opened my eyes to the spirit of dentistry: giving the gift of a smile to all people regardless of location, race, or creed. I can still hear the rooster roaringat 7 am as I got ready for an eight hour shift of educating the children of Nicaragua about the importance of oral hygiene. Armed with my giant model set of teeth and matching toothbrush, I shared my passion for you while kids stared agape in curiosity. From a private dental clinic in Atlanta to a temporary dental clinic in Guatemala, you impact each patient in a variety of ways that all finish with the gift of a smile.

The multifaceted aspect of your identity continually stimulates and challenges me. You are the perfect fusion of art, altruism, and science which all parallel in my past experiences as a musician, carpenter, volunteer, and a researcher. Dearest dentistry, I am confident in my skills and commitment to spend the rest of my life with you so just accept me already.

Sincerely,

[Insert my name]

===================================================

Reactions: 4 users
At times, acceptances are in spite of personal statements.

Reactions: 2 users
This PSE was so interesting and fun to read!

Congrats on the acceptances!

below is my PS from the AASDAS cycle 2013. I am getting a lot of PMs requesting for it so I figured I might as well post it here. I know some people are iffy about sharing PS, but I think there's more benefit to the whole sharing caring philosophy.

Denied all the wayyy. Haters gon hate: Columbia, Harvard, Case Western, Boston, Louisville

Dear Dentistry,

It is rare for someone to address you directly, but I have to tell you how much I am in love with you. I remember being introduced to you as a child when one of my teeth fell out while eating an apple. Although our romance had a rocky start, you’ve been here with me all along: through ten fillings, two crowns, and the ubiquitous adolescent rite of passage - the extraction of my wisdom teeth. I recall all of those moments looking at my teeth, being fascinated by the grooves and pits of my teeth, comparing the artistry of my crowned bridge to the honesty of my natural teeth. Yet it wasn’t until I began to shadow Dr. Silverman that I realized how wonderful our lives would be… together. During my experiences with him, I realized that Dr. Silverman's patients gained an appreciation for their teeth and oral health due to his kind treatments and his emphasis on preventative education. I enjoyed learning from him. One moment, he would talk about the cosmetic aspect of bridge design and the next, he would passionately describe the formation of wisdom teeth. Under his guidance, I realized that a life with you -- dentistry -- would allow me to engage in a flexible and diverse work experience,rewarding doctor-patient interactions, and the general philanthropy of preserving the smile of another human being.

I should warn you, dentistry: I have had other passions. However, they were not infidelities but preparatory acts that deepened my commitment to a lifelong relationship with you. I love creating and recreating beautiful things, whether it’s a carefully embroidered garden landscape using over twenty colors of neatly stitched thread, a nineteenth-century English-style theatre set with ten feet high walls and a meticulously cut frame molding or the demanding viola part of Beethoven's infamous Ninth Symphony. My ten years of musical training have instilled in me a disciplined manual dexterity. I know the importance of a millimeter. As a violist in the Emory Symphony Orchestra, it’s the distance between two distinct notes. As a theatre carpenter, it’s the difference between stability and imbalance while maintaining the aesthetics of the set. Being a member of many set construction teams, I've attained literal hands-on experience with screw guns, impact drivers, table saws and other tools. Dentistry, I know what it takes for us to succeed.

You perfectly combine health care and art. In my shadowing experiences in private clinics, free clinics, and free dental day volunteering, I have encountered patients in possession of their deciduous teeth well into their twenties. Some were missing bicuspids. I still remember one patient using her wisdom tooth as a part her set. Authored by genetics, environment, and circumstance, each mouth is a unique work of art. It is that inherent variety that excites me. I feel equipped to enter these next four years of our relationship with the skills I have cultivated in my other passions, my natural inclination toward detail and handiwork, and the sense of inner peace and fulfillment I feel when I envision our future together.

"A smile is a gift." Told to Emory neuroscience students by the director of my study abroad program in Paris, this simple phrase resonated with me, because it opened my eyes to the spirit of dentistry: giving the gift of a smile to all people regardless of location, race, or creed. I can still hear the rooster roaringat 7 am as I got ready for an eight hour shift of educating the children of Nicaragua about the importance of oral hygiene. Armed with my giant model set of teeth and matching toothbrush, I shared my passion for you while kids stared agape in curiosity. From a private dental clinic in Atlanta to a temporary dental clinic in Guatemala, you impact each patient in a variety of ways that all finish with the gift of a smile.

The multifaceted aspect of your identity continually stimulates and challenges me. You are the perfect fusion of art, altruism, and science which all parallel in my past experiences as a musician, carpenter, volunteer, and a researcher. Dearest dentistry, I am confident in my skills and commitment to spend the rest of my life with you so just accept me already.

Sincerely,

[Insert my name]

Dear Dentistry,

Sincerely,

[Insert my name]

wow i love your approach! thats an amazing PS!

Is there really some place I can intern "as a dental student"?

Is there really some place I can intern "as a dental student"?

I can only speak for Georgia but there are clinics you can volunteer assisting the dental students doing their externship . Maybe there some some near your area as well?

"Working as a software engineer inspired me to pursue a career in dentistry. This is the kind of talk that gives people perplexed looks. At first glace, one might assume that the two fields are as contrasting as day and night. However, being exposed to both fields helped me define a connection.

As a software developer, I was required to constantly engage my critical thinking, my mental capacity to resolve problems by paying close attention to requirement details. As I spent time observing dentists, I realized they have a remarkable ability to detect details, allowing them to be extremely crafty with their problem solving skills. On top of that, I also noticed dentists are excellent communicators not only with patients, but coworkers as well.

My initial spark toward dentistry began when I shadowed my sister, who is a general practice dentist. The first interesting aspect I noticed was the interpersonal relationships she had with her patients. It was encouraging to see how much science and art goes into treating a patient, yet at the same time, how important it was to build interactive relationships. This was my first eye opener, a way to look further into dentistry and into health care in general.

I spent about a year and half being a care companion volunteer at a hospital, where I was fortunate enough to observe physicians and nurses interact with inpatients. I also spent some time shadowing our family physician at his internal medicine office. I started to compare the various health care fields to one another. This is when I quickly learned how unique dentistry really is.

Dentists are detail-oriented, strong communicators, and possess a great deal of manual dexterity. These are the fundamental principles governing every dental office I shadowed in and most importantly, these are the qualities I have come to appreciate in a career. I consider myself as someone with good motor skills, especially with projects around the house. However, I have never had the privilege to use my hands at a critical level like that of a dentist. It is inspiring to know that one day, with the right amount of training and experience, I can reach such high standards of manual aptitude. When I compared the inner working of a dental practice with every other field I have been exposed to, I discovered that dentistry has the best career balance between being a meticulous problem solver and being interactive with people. This was a crucial component of my decision to pursue health care.

I understand that simply being passionate about dentistry cannot be enough grounds for a competitive application. What makes me stand out is, not only that I maintained a perfect 4.0 GPA in post-baccalaureate studies but, more importantly, my experience in life. Over the years, I have learned to work under pressure and maintain a strong sense of urgency to meet deadlines. I am confident to say, these encounters, have prepared me to handle the challenges of a demanding dental curriculum. I would like to conclude that my self-discipline combined with my ability to handle upper level sciences and my desire for this field will ultimately lead to my success in your dental school."

blah blah blah....teeth are awesome......I like using my hands......artwork meets science...blah blah blah.....I like fixing things, like woodworking, etc..., blah blah blah..

blah blah blah....teeth are awesome......I like using my hands......artwork meets science...blah blah blah.....I like fixing things, like woodworking, etc..., blah blah blah..

srry, u forgot to talk about helping ppl

My personal [least] favorite are the ones that start with something like "I vividly remember my first loose tooth; I would prod it, spin it, and wiggle it many times daily and, as a five year old, knew immediately this was my life's calling."

Um.... no.

Reactions: 3 users
" I was born with a full set of sparkly white chompers, and that's when I knew I was destined for dentistry."

Ahaha my dad is on the faculty of a med school and said "whatever you do, please don't start it with a Mother Theresa or Albert Schweitzer quote..."