same undergrad and med school bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finnpipette

Fallen from Grace
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a random question. Does it look bad if you go to the same med school as your undergrad? Does that somehow reduce the prestige, as if you got in solely because of your institutional connections? I hadn't even considered this until some random person commented on that, much to my chagrin.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't even stress it. I went to the same school undergrad and grad, and I am hoping to stay here for med school. I don't think it is a big deal at all to have more than one degree from the same school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just would like to point out that my school (U of TN) is the ONLY school I have not heard back from in regards to a secondary. My AMCAS was completed in June of this year as well. I tried calling them and I got the "we haven't gotten through all the applications/we don't give secondaries to everyone". Its all well and good but I would like the hear something. I went to UT for my UG and currently getting my MPH now. I wanted to get all my info in before the august MCATs were released and they are pounded with even more applications. UGH. So much for loyalty.

I am just happy I had interviews elsewhere early in the cycle. :p

Some people frown on doing masters and PhD level work at the same institution that you did your undergrad, but that doesn't really apply for med or law school.

Just make sure you don't put your undergrad degree up on the wall with your MD and certificates when you open up your new practice. Who's gonna know?

I know I would prefer not to go to the same school. Actually I didn't apply to Utah even though it is the only instate med school. I just wanted to experience a different kind of education.
Why academic inbreeding is frowned upon in PhD programs but not med school is just one of the many mysteries of the application process.

Why academic inbreeding is frowned upon in PhD programs but not med school is just one of the many mysteries of the application process.

Not really a mystery -- in PhD programs, you will be in the same department with the same faculty that you were in during your undergrad years. Every school has its own academic "holes" and prejudices, and it's better to get a couple of different perspectives in your graduate career.

Medical schools don't generally have faculty that overlaps to a great extent with the undergrad institution, and even if you majored in bio, you won't be learning the same things. It just doesn't have the same problems.

How about doing residency at the same school you got your MD from? It would save me the hassle of selling my house and moving my family to a new place.

I think ~40% of med students do their residency at their same institution.

Originally posted by Amy B
Has anyone else noticed a high number of undergrads that are getting turned down by their own med school?

could be because a greater proportion of people apply for med school at their alma mater..in my undergrad, it's the rare pre-med who doesn't apply to our med school, and most don't get in (something like 200 a year apply, of which maybe 10-15 get in..).

Originally posted by Amy B
Has anyone else noticed a high number of undergrads that are getting turned down by their own med school?

I agree with periodic. I am going to the same school for med as I did for undergrad. My med school has virtually identical acceptance percentages for their own undergrad as for the rest of the applicants. Since so many from the school's undergrad apply, it looks like a lot get rejected (and accepted).

Wait a minute.... frowned on by whom?

your employers? or other schools ?

Yes it's very bad going to Harvard undergrad and Harvard med school! The shame , the shame!