Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine/ New Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied and submitted the secondary knowing it’s probably my last choice of school and I’d likely have to look into some sort of military service agreement after graduating as I’m not at all comfortable borrowing 200+k to attend a brand new DO school. I do know that I don’t want to apply again next cycle if I can avoid it.

Reactions: 1 users
TCOM is about 15k per year

Yea I just don't get that, Sam Houston is like-
"aye guys what do yall think would be fair to charge?"
"what is the other public DO program here in Texas charging?
"15k a year."
"Oh, well in that case 55k a year"
"Ok, sounds reasonable, send it"

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I just don't get that, Sam Houston is like-
"aye guys what do yall think would be fair to charge?"
"what is the other public DO program here in Texas charging?
"15k a year."
"Oh, well in that case 55k a year"
"Ok, sounds reasonable, send it"
More relevant, the other non-subsidized DO program in Texas, which is private, has a tuition in the range of $55,000.
The newest non-subsidized Texas MD school has a tuition of $57,000 a year.

Reactions: 2 users
it's almost as if new programs that are not funded by the state need to like make money or something

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
More relevant, the other non-subsidized DO program in Texas, which is private, has a tuition in the range of $55,000.
The newest non-subsidized Texas MD school has a tuition of $57,000 a year.

So why is this program not private, and shoved into TMDSAS with the other public programs? The price just comes off as unethical, and the advice I got when asking if I should consider this program was "just don't."

it's almost as if new programs that are not funded by the state need to like make money or something

Exactly! If the cost of the secondary and/or tuition is too high for your liking for a non subsidized school, then don’t apply. Continuously posting about how the other schools in TX are cheaper isn’t going to change Sam’s cost. Let it go! *full Elsa*

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Exactly! If the cost of the secondary and/or tuition is too high for your liking for a non subsidized school, then don’t apply. Continuously posting about how the other schools in TX are cheaper isn’t going to change Sam’s cost. Let it go! *full Elsa*
THANK YOU! Someone had to say it!

• Love
So why is this program not private, and shoved into TMDSAS with the other public programs? The price just comes off as unethical, and the advice I got when asking if I should consider this program was "just don't."
If you don't get in anywhere, would you be sorry you didn't apply?

Reactions: 3 users
I come to SDN for advice on this whole application process, and I asked how an applicant should feel about considering a brand new DO program like this, unknown, and this is the response I got from an individual whose opinion on SDN I have come to respect.

Don't. That's my advice.

So hearing that, would I be sorry? No, not after receiving that advice. Now, if the advice I got from those on here that I respect was "yes, absolutely apply, it's not a big deal that it is new and 55k a year", I would obviously feel differently about it. But, that is the whole point of SDN for us applicants no? To be advised by those with more knowledge and experience than ourselves.

I come to SDN for advice on this whole application process, and I asked how an applicant should feel about considering a brand new DO program like this, unknown, and this is the response I got from an individual whose opinion on SDN I have come to respect.

So hearing that, would I be sorry? No, not after receiving that advice. Now, if the advice I got from those on here that I respect was "yes, absolutely apply, it's not a big deal that it is new and 55k a year", I would obviously feel differently about it. But, that is the whole point of SDN for us applicants no? To be advised by those with more knowledge and experience than ourselves.
Sounds good, I think we understand you don’t like it.

The questions you have asked about cost, its inclusion on TMDSAS, why isn't not private, etc, we applicants are not able to explain as we don't know Sam's or TMDSAS' reasoning behind these decisions. We provided our opinions on what we do know. It looks like you received a response on 9/6, as you stated, that you respect. This seems like a moot point. You have already stated the cost of the school is unreasonable, but you also seem to want someone to change your mind and convince you to apply.

I'll unfollowing this thread now because this is pointless. Good luck to you all this cycle!

Is there any way to apply for outside scholarships if I were to go to school here? I am from the area, 513 mcat, 3.7 gpa

Is there any way to apply for outside scholarships if I were to go to school here? I am from the area, 513 mcat, 3.7 gpa
there are tons of outside scholarship. Some depend on what speciality you go into.
I am interested in primary care and am applying to the National Health Corps. Scholarships | NHSC

Has anyone seen anything about interview dates? When will first interview invites go out and such?

Has anyone seen anything about interview dates? When will first interview invites go out and such?
I haven't seen anything about interview dates, but their first phase of building wont be finished until December. I would be surprised if they interviewed before they had a campus to show potential students.

Hey guys, is the supplemental application deadline the 1st or just the primary?

Trying to see if it’s worth it to submit TMDSAS today.

Reactions: 1 user
Sam Houston State is still a Texas public institution, so I believe you would still be able to apply to use Hazlewood Act benefits.
Will SHSU COM accept 90% Texas residents like other public Texas medical schools?

I withdrew my II. Hoping it goes to one of yall! Good luck!

Will SHSU COM accept 90% Texas residents like other public Texas medical schools?
Since it is not state-subsidized, it is not required to accept 90% Texans like the other TMDSAS schools and Baylor.
Its mission of training doctors who want to establish themselves in East Texas is likely to make the majority of its students end up from the surrounding states and Texas. This will be the first entering class, so we will have to see what the mix of matriculated students ends up.