Salus University and AT Still University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HearDesi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know any helpful information about these two school programs? I love both the curriculums. Any word of advice on interviews or the program itself? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard good things about the programs at both schools, but I think a lot of people on this forum will tell you that whenever people from Salus have posted about their school, they've ruffled a lot of feathers.

If you would like to learn how to create potions that allow hearing impaired people to grow new, fully functional cochleas, I'd recommend Salus. Alright, I'm done, I promise. :lol: Both schools are quality schools best I can tell.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you would like to learn how to create potions that allow hearing impaired people to grow new, fully functional cochleas, I'd recommend Salus. Alright, I'm done, I promise. :lol: Both schools are quality schools best I can tell.

:wow::lol::lol:

I agree both schools are quality schools as are others, as far as I'm aware they are in good standing with ASHA.

Hello,

I don't really know anything about Salus, but I was recently admitted to the residential program at ATSU and have a three year history with the University.

I was recently (6/03/2010) interviewed for and offered the last seat in the fall 2010 Au.D. residential program at ATSU. I sat in on several classes and talked with the faculty at ATSU last October and was crazy about it. It quickly became the only school I really wanted to attend. I cannot say enough positive things about the program.

A few highlights:
- Very, very student focused faculty (always available).
- When AFA closed, they turned over everything to ATSU to "continue the legacy of Au.D. development" for AFA.
- Acceptance is based almost solely on the interview (they want good clinicians- not impressive students).
- I have already connected with the students and faculty from the Au.D. program at ATSU (and I'm not even moved there yet).

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me.

ummm wow, those are some pretty serious accusations.

those links don't work anymore

Last edited:
Oh my.. Like Big Al said, these are very serious. More than your standard mudslinging and 'jilted ex' so to speak. I hope they are prepared to stand by the comments.

Last edited:
Hello All- I would like to say that I am a recent graduate of the Audiology program at Salus University. The program is phenomenal and I couldn't have been happier with my courses, professors, clinical rotations and the on campus clinic site. I have gained so much throughout my 4 years in this program. I currently hold a terrific position as a clinical audiologist and was hired quickly after graduation. My fellow students and graduates would agree with me.
The links that AuDiophile posted were obviously rants by a student or former student who did not do well in the program and decided to take his/her anger out on faculty. This is the opinion of 1 person out of a huge number of students and graduates who would absolutely disagree.
Hope this helps :)

Hello All- I would like to say that I am a recent graduate of the Audiology program at Salus University. The program is phenomenal and I couldn't have been happier with my courses, professors, clinical rotations and the on campus clinic site.

Thank you for the representation you have given your school. I am a current student at ATSU and think that the rants of a few unhappy students or former students are not an accurate measure of programs. I don't know of any current or former students that don't love the program here, but there will always be people who complain or are unhappy. One unsubstantiated claim does not a bad program make. I think it does not serve audiology well as a healthcare profession for anyone to bash the programs that make up our professional education.

I have received a stellar education from ATSU. I have personally called instructors after hours via their cell phones when I needed clarification regarding the material. I was met with an enthusiastic, "That's what we are here for!" when I apologized for the call. I am sure that students everywhere, including Salus, could speak of their respective programs in similar ways.

We are the future of a wonderful profession full of wonderful people who want to do good for the patients they are responsible to for care. After all, there are easier ways to earn a buck! :)

I don't have tons of experience with Salus but I did speak with one of their recruiters at ASHA in 2008. I found it kind of interesting that they sent a recruiter (who did a decent job answering my questions) but most other universities send actual professors. I have also met one Salus grad. She is an audiologist at LeBonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis which is a very highly regarded hospital in the area. She was performing the IOM in a cochlear implant surgery I was observing. She said she liked the school and felt it was a good program. I too have read/heard all the negative stuff online as well though.

Soooooo, does anyone else suspect that one of these replies was written by an admissions counselor who may be using google alerts? Kinda sounds like overly positive admissions propaganda.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All- I would like to say that I am a recent graduate of the Audiology program at Salus University. The program is phenomenal and I couldn't have been happier with my courses, professors, clinical rotations and the on campus clinic site. I have gained so much throughout my 4 years in this program. I currently hold a terrific position as a clinical audiologist and was hired quickly after graduation. My fellow students and graduates would agree with me.
The links that AuDiophile posted were obviously rants by a student or former student who did not do well in the program and decided to take his/her anger out on faculty. This is the opinion of 1 person out of a huge number of students and graduates who would absolutely disagree.
Hope this helps :)

ha...this reply is a joke as a rebuttal compared to what was laid down on those two links. Also, the poster has ONE post, this one, which means that he or she has zero credibility. In a situation where you have to weigh the evidence, such as this one, I would say that it strongly points to this poster as having some type of self interest in the university, other than having been a student. You mean that a Salus graduate just happened to be perusing the forums of a student doctor site, and had no other occasion to make a post other than to defend his or her school? Not likely.

Oh, by the way, I literally live within walking distance of Salus. After reading what I read on those links, I wouldn't take the risk of attending. Although, I may try and talk to some students, without university facilitation of said conversation, to get the low-down.

Also, if the poster is a University shill, the active bad PR control is an extremely relevant sign that things are going down hill and that the Universities priorities are in the wrong place.

Last edited:
I cant say I have personal experience with either school. However, because I go to school at the University of Arizona, I know many of the previous MA/MS audiologists who have completed their degree through AT Stll and I have a lot of experience with them. Of the audiologists that I know that have graduated from there, I have found them to be incredibly knowledgeable in the field and I have a lot of respect for them. Of course this may be a reflection on their MS/MA school and their prior experience as audiologists and not AT Still itself. No way for me to know.

As for Salus, I do know of 1 or 2 audiologists that obtained their AuD after their MS/MA, but I cant speak much about them because I havent worked with them yet. I know someone who is getting their PA degree their and she finds it very challenging and enjoyable, and I trust her when she says that it is a good education. Now, one program at a school being good does not mean that any other program is any good, but at least they do have a good reputation as a PA school.

Lastly, I have not known anyone to go there initially for their AuD, only prior MS/MA Audiologists that are obtaining/obtained their AuD. So maybe this speaks to the programs' target audience and future student targets.

I go to AT Still and I dont have anything but great things to say about everything about this program. If you have questions, anything, please email me and I will respond as soon as I can.

Thanks!!

Have a good one!! :luck:

Eardocsavvy, check your inbox when you get the chance!

From my interactions with students from both programs as a student at conventions they seemed to be on the up and up.

I never did see any of their clinical skills in practice, but from having many a conversation over cocktails with folks from Salus, their program is definitely more medical style in the beginning from the classes they take. But both the AuD students I met from there really liked the program.

The one student from ATStill I know and still speak with is a great audiologist, but then again I know audiologists from lower ranked schools who could still outperform even the best students from Vandy. It's all about how much knowledge a student is willing to obtain instead what the name on the outside of lecture hall says.

If there are more questions, please let me know. I am a current student at ATSU, and would love to answer any questions if you have any!!

Good luck and enjoy your new year! :luck:

Darn my cyrillic reading skills are a little rusty.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I am currently a 4th year residential student at AT Still University. Being out of school for six years and going back full time was already a challenge in itself, but I can honestly say that going here was the best decsion I ever made. I was in another part of the country, away from family, and this place took me in and made me their own. I felt prepared when I started my 4th year, and my current preceptor feels the same. Yes, the value of education you learn here is worth it's weight in gold. You have all of your professors emails, numbers (and I mean office AND personal cells), and their time totally at your disposal. Now that I'm back over here on the east coast, I still call them for advice and guidance. That's the way it's supposed to be folks!!! I can't and won't speak for other programs, but I can say AT Still is an excellent program.

I am currently a 4th year residential student at AT Still University. Being out of school for six years and going back full time was already a challenge in itself, but I can honestly say that going here was the best decsion I ever made. I was in another part of the country, away from family, and this place took me in and made me their own. I felt prepared when I started my 4th year, and my current preceptor feels the same. Yes, the value of education you learn here is worth it's weight in gold. You have all of your professors emails, numbers (and I mean office AND personal cells), and their time totally at your disposal. Now that I'm back over here on the east coast, I still call them for advice and guidance. That's the way it's supposed to be folks!!! I can't and won't speak for other programs, but I can say AT Still is an excellent program.

Hi skypt123!

I was just contact this week about scheduling an interview with AT Still University. I'm extremely impressed with everything I've heard so far. If given the opportunity, I'm seriously considering attending this program. I, too, am from another part of the country and reading your post made me feel a little bit better about the possibility of moving. What was it that sold you on the program if you don't mind me asking? Did you attend an interview session? Or did you interview over the phone?

Thanks!

Hi skypt123!

I was just contact this week about scheduling an interview with AT Still University. I'm extremely impressed with everything I've heard so far. If given the opportunity, I'm seriously considering attending this program. I, too, am from another part of the country and reading your post made me feel a little bit better about the possibility of moving. What was it that sold you on the program if you don't mind me asking? Did you attend an interview session? Or did you interview over the phone?

Thanks!

Hi there!
That's makes me feel great knowing my post brought some comfort to you! I was already living in the area because of a job relocation, and happen to find out about the school on the ASHA website. When I called the first time, to be perfectly honest, when they told me it was totally full-time, and I couldn't work a regular job, I got a little scared. I called back again anyway, because I just couldn't let go of the awesome opportunity, so I was then invited to visit the campus. My mind was blown!!! The facilities are state of the art, most of the equipment was new, and the campus was beautiful. I was in love after that! Since I already lived there at the time, when it was time for my interview, I was physically present. I was nervous naturally, but they made me feel comfortable. The one thing that impressed me the most was they don't base if they will accept you only from your GRE score or your grades. They want to get to know you as a person, and as a potential student. They want to know your motivation, and most programs are not that way.

If you guys have any more questions/concerns about ATSU- please let me know as I am a current residential student there!!

Thanks